PDA

View Full Version : Uh... Feline sexual frustration?

Darky
22-11-2008, 07:15 PM
:oops: Uhm.

As you all know, Honey has been quite poorly lately. He is slowly recovering (eyes are much better, he's much brighter and seems happier and in less pain) and has not been allowed outside for days now so that I can give him his three-times-daily Pro-Kolin and to generally keep an eye on him and dish out attention.

He did something bizarre just now, though.

He was in the living room with me, came on my lap for a cuddle and then wandered off.

He came back onto the sofa and when the phone rang he suddenly went mad and started chewing on my hand.

Then he clung onto my arm and would not stop biting my wrist - if I tried to pull my arm away he would just bite my jumper and latch onto it like glue.

:?

I was wondering if it was a sexual thing, or dominance thing. (Especially when I suddenly noticed that he was, uh-... "Happy" down "there.")

He has never ever done anything like this, and it took some talking to and cuddling to get him off and now my wrist is covered in bite marks.

He is about a year and eight months old but not neutered yet (it's been rather difficult, he should be neutered ASAP at last when we can arrange it).

Any advice on this? O_o

Phoenix
22-11-2008, 08:09 PM
I can't give you any advice, but good luck for getting the problem sorted!

dandysmom
22-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Seems possible. He's sexually mature at his age. I had a neighbor's tom latch onto my leg once and start humping. And the male does a nape bite preliminary to the act.
Poor guy, hope he can be neutered soon ....

Darky
22-11-2008, 10:37 PM
The road to neutering has been a bit unexpectedly crazy, but he's set for a Christmas chop.

dandysmom
22-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Good news! I do suspect you're right about that episode: I've never had an entire tom, but have heard of that behavior...apparently not uncommon. Hope the bites are better!

angieh
23-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Never experienced anything like that, but suspect you're right and the problem should go away once he's been "done".

Years ago, there was a little intact tom that used to visit my house - Merlin and Smudge had already been done. He was a real gentlecat though and never showed any behaviour like that and neither did he spray indoors. I wish I could have bought him with me when I moved house, but he obviously belonged to someone else.

smudgley
23-11-2008, 12:33 AM
My advice would be get him neutered asap.

If he's not spraying in the house now - he will be soon.

At 20 months he's probably getting all the neighbours cats pregnant if he goes out which is really not helpful for rescue places who end up with all the unwanted kittens.

Entire males that go outdoors are much more at risk of contacting FIV & FeLV too!

Sorry to sound so negative, but I am involved in a neutering campaign and don't see any reason why people keep entire males that are not required for breeding purposes.

Darky
23-11-2008, 01:12 PM
No worries, I agree 100%. We've just had some really unexpected financial problems over the past year or so, with me losing a job and getting ill and my parents having problems.

smudgley
23-11-2008, 03:23 PM
No worries, I agree 100%. We've just had some really unexpected financial problems over the past year or so, with me losing a job and getting ill and my parents having problems.

If you are having financial difficulties you can get help with the cost from;
PDSA
RSPCA
Cats Protection

try giving them a call. :cool:

Darky
23-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Won't need to now luckily, should all be fine. C: Just need to arrange a date when my parents are back.

But thank you! Shall certainly be something to consider in the future.

Elvisisboss
24-11-2008, 01:32 AM
My advice would be get him neutered asap.

If he's not spraying in the house now - he will be soon.

At 20 months he's probably getting all the neighbours cats pregnant if he goes out which is really not helpful for rescue places who end up with all the unwanted kittens.

Entire males that go outdoors are much more at risk of contacting FIV & FeLV too!

Sorry to sound so negative, but I am involved in a neutering campaign and don't see any reason why people keep entire males that are not required for breeding purposes.

my cats were neutered at 5&6 months old i would hate to think that anyone is silly enough to let girls out entire & boys really :?

if they do pass on FIV & FeLV how would you know that your cat has it?

also can i join your campaign? :)

you can get financial help as smudgely says & its only cost £25 at my vets for neutering! :D

good luck i hope that he doesnt start spraying everywhere soon!!

smudgley
24-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Costs £6 at our local vet!

People let entire cats out all the time & then wonder why they get pregnant.

There's not really any way of knowing your cat has FIV / FeLV - although they would eventually become ill with FeLV.

Yes - join in the promotion of neutering cats, it's just about spreading the word & I am in my local CP branch and we have free neutering campaigns to encourage people to get their cats done.

Darky
24-11-2008, 03:02 PM
...Thanks for ruining the thread with pointless lecturing, preaching to the choir.

Way to pressure someone into a corner, ladies.

dandysmom
24-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Darky, I think you took some of the comments the wrong way; not meant to be pressuring at all, but to offer helpful advice .......

Darky
24-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Which I happily took and appreciated, but the comments kept coming, very much overkill.

Elvisisboss
24-11-2008, 05:54 PM
i dont think that anyone has lectured or preached in anyway to you or anyone else. We all just have advice and opinions and its just chatting getting them across to eachother.

smudgley
24-11-2008, 08:07 PM
...Thanks for ruining the thread with pointless lecturing, preaching to the choir.

Way to pressure someone into a corner, ladies.

Excuse me - the comments I put on the last thread were in reply to elvisisboss not you!