PDA

View Full Version : So Expensive!!!!!

freckles
22-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi All

I feed my six cats Royal Canin, which is a good food & they absolutely love it, but its costing me a fortune.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a decent food but a little less expensive. I dont want to give them any rubbish.

I buy a 10kg bag for £42.99 which lasts them 5-6 weeks

Any suggestions appreciated

Many thanks

Amanda

dinahsmum
22-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Burns (http://www.burnspet.co.uk/cat/index.asp) is a bit cheaper @ £29.49 for fish/rice and £27.29 for chicken/rice but 7.5kg.
I think it's a good food - mine seem to be doing well on it.

I haven't used it for a long time (since the co. was bought by one of the big manufacturers) but I always thought James Wellbeloved was a good cheaper food but I see that it is priced from about £36 for 10kg now

furriefriend
22-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Arden Grange I know the dog food is v. popular and apparently good. They will also send you free samples. I have got some for my 2 and intend to buy a bag.

Kim
22-11-2008, 06:26 PM
I feed mine Royal Canin too and haven't found a dry food they like so much. I agree that Burns is excellent, but mine still prefer RC. Jollyes have an offer on at the moment, 3 bags for the price of 2, saving £14.99

furriefriend
22-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Have you guys looked at the other thread about dry food. There is alink to a food called oscars that seems resonable on the pricing

smudgley
23-11-2008, 12:40 AM
You get what you pay for.

If you want the best food for your cats, unfortunately you have to pay the price.

I have 4 cats on RC and it is expensive, but I feel they're worth it. :-D

kado
23-11-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm using at the moment purinan one £11.48 for 3kg. They are only on that because the vets didnt order the hill science food Which is about £32 per 5kg. It hasnt caused Guinness or Simon any problems either. I have five cats on it.

Elvisisboss
23-11-2008, 04:47 AM
Hiya well i feed Whiska kitten complete £4 for 2kg, also but a massive bag of PAH or Tesco to mix in and thats only like £2 and it has the same ingredients as any other pet food!

then i buy science hiil, james well beloved & royal cain the mini bags at £2 each & thats lasts Tay 2/3 months!

he doesn't like wet food but has started eating it now, i sent off for SO many free samples that i haven't bought any food for 2months!! lol!

i had 2 vouchers for science hill kitten food & PAH had 20% off...so instead of £6odd each i got them for £2odd!
also got soo many freebies have a draw & cupboard full! :D

Elvis has Classic, Whiskas, Felix, alpaws, gourmet & poss others! he likes to mix it up!

i read the ingredients and its basically all the same! Felix makes purina aswell!

if you but in bulk it is better, zooplus.co.uk is a good shop online, always do discounts. but i dont really think any food really is as good as the other personally! some are just so expensive that i couldnt afford it anyway!

Just a example: whats really the difference?

Royal Canin Adult Complete Fit Cat Food with Poultry 2kg: £13.49

Dehydrated Poultry Meats, Maize, Rice, Maize Gluten, Animal Fat, Vegetable Fibres, Hydrolysed Animal Proteins, Vegetable Protein Isolate (L.I.P Protein) Beet Pulp, Yeasts, Minerals, Soya Oil, Sodium Phosphates, Fish Oil, Egg Powder, Dl-Methionine, Yeast Extract (Source Of Manno-Oligo-Saccharides), L-Lysine, Taurine, Marigold Extract (Source Of Lutein)

Typical Analysis:
Moisture 7%, Protein 32%, Oils and Fats 15%, Fibre 17.4%, Ash 7.1%

Whiskas Adult Complete Cat Food with Chicken & Vegetables 4kg: £9.69 (double the amount for £3.80 less)

Cereals, Meat and Animal Derivatives (Chicken/ Meats), Vegetable Protein Extracts, Oils and Fats, Minerals, Vegetables (Carrots, Peas). With Antioxidants, Preservatives and Colourants (Permitted EC Additives).

Typical Analysis:
Moisture 0%, Protein 32%, Oils and Fats 12.5%, Fibre 1.5%, Ash 8%

Hills Science Plan Feline Adult Cat Food with Rabbit 2kg: £13.99

With Rabbit (Min. Rabbit 8%): Chicken and Turkey Meal, Ground Rice, Ground Maize, Animal Fat, Maize Gluten Meal, Rabbit Meal, Digest, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil, Calcium Sulphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Dl-Methionine, Taurine, Vitamins and Trace Elements. Naturally Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary Extract

Typical Analysis:
Moisture 5.5%, Protein 32.1%, Oils and Fats 20.8%, Fibre 1.1%, Ash 3.11%

candyshandy
23-11-2008, 09:53 AM
If you call Smylee Pets they will give you a discount for owning a lot of cats!

Kim
23-11-2008, 09:07 PM

If you want the best food for your cats, unfortunately you have to pay the price.

I agree Smugdley. I have fed mine RC for years and I wouldn't swap now.

freckles
28-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi all

Thanks for your input.

I decided to sit down & work out how much it costs me per cat per week as i dont really want to change them as they love it so much & do really well on it.

It worked out that a 10kg bag of RC lasting my 6x cats 5 weeks, was only £1.40 per week per cat.

It says its self really when worked out it is not expensive at all. I have decide to stay with RC, its just the initial lay out cost that is a lot. I have run out at the moment & am having to use tesco until Tuesday & i can tell you my lot are not very happy about it.

Once again many thanks

Amanda

yola
29-11-2008, 12:30 AM
You're so right Amanda, as is Smudgely. Although it seems expensive in reality it isn't so - as with anything in life; if you pay a little more it's usually because there is added value to what you're buying.

I've fed RC for over 11 years to 2 of my 3 cats and they are thriving on it (being persian and fickle health-wise I'm delighted with this fact). I tried mixing in Burns - of which I'd heard great things, a couple of months ago but the resulting stomach upsets across all 3 cats wasn't worth contemplating again.

Having said that - I can't categorically say that this was the problem but it was one in a list of 3 and I'm not going to take the chance until I can measure more scientifically.

Fran
29-11-2008, 01:27 AM

Absolutely agree!! I have 9 cats all fed on Royal Canin Sensible 33. They love it, it suits them and they look so good on it ;)

mattde
01-12-2008, 10:14 AM
I've been using Royal Canin Kitten 36 10KG bag for £40.99 delivered from on-line shop, at the moment you also get a free cat bed with the deal. If you want an invite to the site let me know you get £3 off your first order with the invite code.
I'm going to stick with Royal Canin but just try and get the best price i can by shopping around.

borderdawn
01-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Absolutely agree!! I have 9 cats all fed on Royal Canin Sensible 33. They love it, it suits them and they look so good on it ;)
I have 6 on it and have tried others but its wasted, I have a sack of Iams they wont eat in the cupboard now! :evil:

I get mine from the warehouse though, so its much much cheaper than the shops.

mattde
01-12-2008, 04:54 PM
I have 6 on it and have tried others but its wasted, I have a sack of Iams they wont eat in the cupboard now! :evil:

I get mine from the warehouse though, so its much much cheaper than the shops.

how do you get it from the warehouse??trade only?

Elaine
01-12-2008, 05:00 PM
My cats are not fussy cats when it comes to food and i have tried Burns, Orijen etc in an atempt to make sure my cats were getting the best diet possible, but have found myself back to using RC as its the only one that they dont seem to tire of. All the others, they like initially but then turn their noses up after a time.

za9za00
04-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Just a example: whats really the difference?

Royal Canin Adult Complete Fit Cat Food with Poultry 2kg: £13.49

Dehydrated Poultry Meats, Maize, Rice, Maize Gluten, Animal Fat, Vegetable Fibres, Hydrolysed Animal Proteins, Vegetable Protein Isolate (L.I.P Protein) Beet Pulp, Yeasts, Minerals, Soya Oil, Sodium Phosphates, Fish Oil, Egg Powder, Dl-Methionine, Yeast Extract (Source Of Manno-Oligo-Saccharides), L-Lysine, Taurine, Marigold Extract (Source Of Lutein)

Typical Analysis:
Moisture 7%, Protein 32%, Oils and Fats 15%, Fibre 17.4%, Ash 7.1%

Whiskas Adult Complete Cat Food with Chicken & Vegetables 4kg: £9.69 (double the amount for £3.80 less)

Cereals, Meat and Animal Derivatives (Chicken/ Meats), Vegetable Protein Extracts, Oils and Fats, Minerals, Vegetables (Carrots, Peas). With Antioxidants, Preservatives and Colourants (Permitted EC Additives).

Typical Analysis:
Moisture 0%, Protein 32%, Oils and Fats 12.5%, Fibre 1.5%, Ash 8%

Hills Science Plan Feline Adult Cat Food with Rabbit 2kg: £13.99

With Rabbit (Min. Rabbit 8%): Chicken and Turkey Meal, Ground Rice, Ground Maize, Animal Fat, Maize Gluten Meal, Rabbit Meal, Digest, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil, Calcium Sulphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Dl-Methionine, Taurine, Vitamins and Trace Elements. Naturally Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary Extract

Typical Analysis:
Moisture 5.5%, Protein 32.1%, Oils and Fats 20.8%, Fibre 1.1%, Ash 3.11%

Have a look at the following site to understand the difference in the pack contents http://www.pet-food-choice.co.uk/pet_food_ingredients.htm
Andrew