PDA

View Full Version : Cat tunnel

kim-marie
22-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi everybody,just wanted to tell you all of my frightening experience couple of hours ago with my 14 week old kitten,what a fright. I have calmed down now,anyway i bought him a crinkly tunnel with a little toy hanging from the top of the tunnel on elastic from pets at home. He was quite happily playing right underneath my nose while i was on the computer when he started going mad and crying out. I notice that he had the elastic wrapped round his front paw and everywhere he moved he was dragging the tunnel around with him. I tryed to catch him to unravel the elastic when he bit my leg and he bit my sons finger as well,bless him he must have been so frightened as he is such a loving kitten. The only thing i could do was get some sissors and cut the elastic off from the tunnel. He seemed to be limping a bit but hes ok now so i will keep an eye on him and take him to the vet if i am worryed. At the moment my older puss is looking after him,they are both asleep together cuddled up on the bed. Just want to make people aware of what can happen right under your nose.

dinahsmum
22-11-2008, 02:07 PM
You're so right; little kittens can get tangled up with anything like that so easily, and they panic and can make it worse.
Hopefully, all is well this morning and he has forgotten his little scare.
Thanks for the reminder

mattde
22-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Scary, you would think pets at home would have a warning on the package about this. I'm watching my new kittens like a hawk. We have a one of these http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_toys/miscellaneous/44728

Cats love it, tho it has some elastic in the middle with a mouse on it, think I might remove it now.

angieh
22-11-2008, 03:40 PM
It's a shame isn't it? You'd think that whoever develops these toys for kittens would be aware of the potential danger. There's a lot to be said for scrunched up bits of paper and cardboard boxes.

dandysmom
22-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Scary! I'm going to cut the dangly toy from mine after reading this, although Leia has always ignored it...

kim-marie
22-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Leo is absolutely fine now,hes chasing older puss round the living room at the mo and definately not limping now,i will just put it down to experience and be extra careful when i do buy him some more toys to play with,thanks everybody.

Tina
23-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Our cats love anything with dangly toys on elastic, Pets at Home used to sell some really great ones that you could hang on a doorknob. We had one on the dining room door for weeks when Miw was a kitten until she almost strangled herself on it! Now, both cats still love the dangly toys, but they only play with them WITH US and under strict supervision........they can be very dangerous!