PDA

View Full Version : Something I can't understand ...

Phoenix
21-11-2008, 09:31 PM
If anyone can explain this to me I'd be grateful.

I know people will be having trouble because of the credit crunch but WHY WHY WHY can't people get their cats neutered and spayed?

We had some kittens come in to the homing centre a few weeks ago (they've since been rehomed) without their mother, guess why they were handed in? Because the owners had not had their female cat spayed so she'd had kittens and the owners didn't want the responsibility of looking after the kittens (I'm not just saying that, that was honsetly the reason they gave for giving up the kittens!) :evil:

Can anyone explain the reason WHY they didn't get their queen spayed?

Tina
22-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Unfortunately, this happens all too often. Many people either don't care enough to find the money to have their cats fixed, or they don't understand fully why it is so necessary. Our Paws Centre has so many kittens brought in every year for the same reason......and the real kicker is that the Paws Centre actually advertises all the time that they'll do FREE or VERY DISCOUNTED spaying for people who can't afford it.....and people STILL don't have it done! Wish people would realise it's not just about kittens either.....it's a health issue too.

All that said, I have to admit that we've only had Miw spayed, not Mouse. The intention was there, and the appointment made for it to be done.......but then she got so ill with her blood & immune disease, and now the vet absolutely refuses to do it for fear of the complications she could have. :-(

Good point you make though.....it's very sad that more people don't have their cats spayed and neutered.

smudgley
22-11-2008, 12:39 PM
[quote=rescuecatsrule;521733]If anyone can explain this to me I'd be grateful.

We had some kittens come in to the homing centre a few weeks ago (they've since been rehomed) without their mother, guess why they were handed in? Because the owners had not had their female cat spayed so she'd had kittens and the owners didn't want the responsibility of looking after the kittens (I'm not just saying that, that was honsetly the reason they gave for giving up the kittens!) :evil:

quote]

How old were they when you took them in?

dandysmom
22-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Ignorance and apathy, RCR! So sad .......

Phoenix
22-11-2008, 07:21 PM
[quote=rescuecatsrule;521733]If anyone can explain this to me I'd be grateful.

quote]

How old were they when you took them in?

They were 5 or 6 weeks old when they came in to the homing centre. Not sure how old they were when they first got taken in to the charity.

smudgley
23-11-2008, 12:51 AM
[quote=smudgley;521841]

They were 5 or 6 weeks old when they came in to the homing centre. Not sure how old they were when they first got taken in to the charity.

It is very sad that people do this, but it happens all the time.

If they were that age - we would not have taken them in without their mother though, if mother cat was fit & well we would only take them with their mother (obviously found / abandoned kittens without their mother are different) so we would insist that either they sign over the kittens mother too, or that we cannot take them in (welfare of the kittens issue)

But it is very sad that people continue to be so ignorant about breeding pet cats.

Elvisisboss
23-11-2008, 02:09 AM
I don't know why, i know people moan it is expensive, but its only really £25, and if you are on benefits you can get it like for free!

i personally don't think ANY litter is a accident, if you have a female & a male..........or cats that are entire that can get out of the house.......you can have kittens! and the same for dogs!

unless there is a genuine reason like allergic to anesthetic going under there isn't a reason apart from stupid irresponsible people!

when i phoned up about fostering, the lady i spoke to was fuming, i asked her why and she said that a lady had just phoned asking for a boy & girl kittens, she had seen a boy & girl brother & sister for re homing.

the lady asked her why plus other questions and she said 'because i want to breed them, so going to a rescue was cheaper than buying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

some people are just Evil AND stupid!!!! :evil: