PDA

View Full Version : Cystitis

Jasmine
20-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Has anyone had any problems with this? Chino, who I have only had for 4 months and is 12, has suddenly developed this problem - his urine has been checked and he has no infaction or crystals in his bladder.

He is having cartrophen injections at the moment but so far it has done no good.

Moli
20-11-2008, 08:50 PM
I have a cat who was blocked with crystals, he was in the vets for a week, this was 6 years ago.. and is now on Cartophen injections once a month...He is almost 14....

If the cartophen is not doing him any good, I would take him back, see if there is an alternative...

My Siamese has cystitis at the moment, and is on cysteze.....

Elaine
20-11-2008, 09:30 PM
My Eva has once had stress related cystitis, she was given cystaid and metacam, has never had another case of it. My old boy Winston had it also but he had kidney issues which were the problem.

yola
21-11-2008, 10:01 AM
My Balie's had it several times and has also been tested for crystals, which was negative. From memory he only had the standard antibiotics Sinulux and each time it treated the infection very well.

If your cat isn't responding I'd go back to the vet and see if he can offer an alternative medicine. There are also some good herbal remedies you can get for feline cystitis. Might be worth trying these also.

dinahsmum
21-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Could it be stress related?
Has he settled well with you or do you think he is still a little on edge?
If you think he is not as relaxed as he might be you could think of getting a Feliway plug-in diffuser to send out calm-calm-calm vibes. You can also buy Cystease capsules without prescription but I think that you should return to the vet before turning to other drugs.
The Feliway might just relax him out of a 'Oh no it hurts when I wee, *stress*, Ow, it hurt when I wee'd, *more stress*, it will hurt next time I wee, *even more stress*, vicious cycle. I guess we've all had a bout of cystitis - it's really a nasty pain, isn't it? Poor cats when they get it. :( Feliway can take a couple of weeks to reach full effectiveness but a lot of people see improvements well before that.
Good luck, poor Chino

angieh
21-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Merlin has had cystitis on and off for years. Many years ago, he had a blockage and had to be hospitalised. He recovered and although he has repeating problems, he has managed to reach the ripe old age of 23 years.

According to my vet, male cats (like male humans) very rarely get bacterial cystitis, which is what is more likely for females - feline and human. Males tend to suffer from irritable bladder caused by crystals or polyps. Having said that, last week when Merlin had a bout of cystitis, he reacted positively to anti-b's and anti-inflammatory injections and was well again within a couple of days.

Hope you manage to get Chino sorted out. Do let us know how he gets on.

Jasmine
21-11-2008, 09:06 PM
I think it is stress related - he had settled exceptionally well until November 5th when he was terrified at fireworks going off - I have never had a cat before that reacted so badly, he was crawling along the floor like trying to find the best place to hide.

The cystitis started a week later - he has been to the vet today for another Cartrophen injection and I have bought a Feliway diffuser which is in the kitchen where he sleeps at night so let's hope he will feel better soon. He is going for another injection on Monday but we are going away next Wednesday for 2 weeks so I am a bit worried about it all. At least he is not going in a cattery, my daughter will be calling in once a day to feed him so if he was ill she would take him back to the vet.

He is a lovely cat and had been doing so well up until a week ago.

dinahsmum
22-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Bloody fireworks!
I really hope the Feliway works for him