PDA

View Full Version : Dental op for Posh

PoshPuss
17-11-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm so glad I took your advice and went to the vet this evening. Turns out Posh had one very loose tooth, lots of tartar :oops: and the beginnings of gingivitis :(
Poor baby. I feel like a very bad mother, I'd noticed her bad breath a while back but thought I had it cured. :roll:

My vet said that in a year her teeth had gone really bad so I am guilty :shock: but that persians are prone to poor dentition due to the jaw formation. I should have been more vigilant.

She's had an antibiotic shot, a course of tablets and is booked into the hospital for treatment under GA on Friday.

Must go and give her lots of cuddles and loves, maybe she'll find it in her heart to forgive me. :smt049 :cry:

Moli
17-11-2008, 08:39 PM
My exotic(shorthaired Persian) Leo had a dental about 3 months ago, He had really smelly breath, had 3 teeth out and the rest cleaned, did not bother him at all, and he ws back to normal a few days later...
Sure Posh will be ok, and a lot happier for having it done..

pinklizzy
17-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Aww, poor Posh! You shouldn't feel guilty though, cats are very good at disguising dental problems and you're being a good owner and getting it sorted out for her. Sure she'll feel lots better after her dental.

dandysmom
17-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Awww, poor Posh! Sure she'll feel much better after the work, and will forgive you!

Natalie
17-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Poor Posh and poor you. Please don't feel guilty as cats are very good at diguising ailments and illness's all too well. Mostly to their disadvantage.

I'm sure she will welcome your cuddles and Merlin and Belle send their welsh friend lots more xxxx

candyshandy
17-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Don't feel guilty, cats are very good at hiding things.

When Foof had her op last week she was scoffing her food as soon as I let her out the basket!

PoshPuss
17-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks for your reassurance ladies :)
Posh is loving the extra attention she's getting now ;) but that'll soon pass when I give her her tablet tonight :roll:
I realise she'll benefit heaps by having the dental work done. Any tips for after care are very welcome.:)

angieh
17-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Sure all will go well for Posh - she'll be eating for Wales after - so you'll have to get in a good supply of all her fav treats!

meep
17-11-2008, 09:44 PM
poor Posh! But don't fret yourself, as others have said, cats disguise any ailment very well. I too had something go unnoticed (Darcy eating sellotape!) and felt so incredibly guilty when I eventually worked out what was wrong, but all the lovely people on her helped me realise it wasn't my fault :) The lovely puss will be better soon after lots of love from her mum!

dinahsmum
18-11-2008, 10:32 AM
She'll feel soooo much better with shiny new gnashers

Elaine
18-11-2008, 10:34 AM
These things happen PP, as others have said cats mask illness and ailments well, its all about survival.
Hope all goes well for her op' xxx.
There are dental products on the market, not sure how well they work.
Some recomend plaque-off, or dental biscuits.

yola
18-11-2008, 12:40 PM
All my cats, especially the Persians, have had teeth extracted. This is despite me, for a while using the dental biscuits and also the chicken-flvoured 'toothpaste' from the vet that had enzymes in the claimed to remove tartar. Pah. It didn't work no difference between when I used it (for a good 2-3 years) and when I didn't.

Don't blame yourself, Persians are prone to dental disease and there are many cats who will happily continue into old age with little or no teeth!

Hugs to Posh for Friday, I'm sure she'll be much happier for it!

fancyabrew
18-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Chole has had two dental jobs in the past 4 years, and hasn't got that many teeth left! We feed her mostly Hills Prescription plan TD, which you can get at a fairly good price if you shop around on tinterweb. And she’s nuts about Whiskers dentabits which helps

PoshPuss
18-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks folks! I feel a lot better now that I've heard your stories. I'll really try hard to get Posh on dry food after the op as I feel it'll be better for her teeth and also much less messy for us. She'll have her occassional nibble of hand fed chicken no doubt and I've given her grass by hand too!
She's been a real good girl taking her antibiotics for me, she is quite a lovely patient :D I was shocked to see her back teeth yesterday at the vets and the wobbly tooth and red gums were upsetting too, but she has been a little star and I hope after Friday she'll be feeling heaps better.

Once again, thanks for all your help on Catsey. Don't know where we'd be without you all :-D :) xxx

Jasmine
20-11-2008, 08:41 PM
My lovely Leo, who I had to have PTS in June eventually had all his tooth out except the front two top and two bottom - I have read that Burmese are prone to this - it never stopped him eating anything

angieh
20-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Great good wishes for Posh tomorrow PP. Please let us know when she's safely home again.

Elaine
20-11-2008, 09:34 PM
All the very best for tomorrow Posh xxxx

dandysmom
20-11-2008, 10:46 PM
All my cats, especially the Persians, have had teeth extracted. This is despite me, for a while using the dental biscuits and also the chicken-flvoured 'toothpaste' from the vet that had enzymes in the claimed to remove tartar. Pah. It didn't work no difference between when I used it (for a good 2-3 years) and when I didn't.

Don't blame yourself, Persians are prone to dental disease and there are many cats
who will happily continue into old age with little or no teeth!
Hugs to Posh for Friday, I'm sure she'll be much happier for it!

Misty's loss of teeth never interfered with her eating or her enjoyment of food at all; she was almost 20 when she went to the Bridge.

Best wishes for tomorrow!

yola
21-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Wishing Posh and her very worried Mummy lots of extra special hugs today. Let us know how she gets on Nette . . .

dinahsmum
21-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Wishing Posh and her very worried Mummy lots of extra special hugs today. Let us know how she gets on Nette . . .
I can only echo that.
All good wishes to you both

Mags
21-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Thinking of you and Posh today, best wishes to you both...

PoshPuss
21-11-2008, 12:24 PM
thanks everyone, will keep you updated :)
have put on daily thead the morning scenario... she was a good little girl for her mam, who's waiting on tenterhooks ...sigh.