PDA

View Full Version : Darcy and the Toilet

meep
17-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Darcy has a worrying fascination with the toilet...especially when flushed!!

First of all, the toilet doesn't have a lid (a long story, we tried to replace the lid but it's an old fashioned 70s toilet built into the unit and you physically can't get at the bolts that hold the seat down as it's built into the wall, so the lid snapped off and if we want to replace the entire seat we'd need to replace not just the toilet but the entire wall and unit!) so when it's flushed, he can see straight in.

Secondly, I hasten to add, this is only when, say, I've been taking off make up and put my make-up stained cotton pads in the toilet then flush. There's a very big shelf in the bathroom (more like a unit top) that he sits on and watches me brush my teeth etc, so he can peer right down at the toilet as it flushes.

When it flushes, he gets very excited and looks down, and teeters as if he's about to jump. I can't tell if this is slightly scardey-cat behaviour, and he's trying to jump beyond it, or he's loving the flushing effect and wants to jump in or near it! He's never actually jumped, but remains poised, until it stops.

I just wondered if anyone else's cats had a fascination with the toilet? He never pays it any attention when it's not flushing. Strange boy!

dinahsmum
17-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Lots of cats seem to be fascinated by water and are happy watching it and even playing with it.
Maybe Darcey could be a toilet-toileting cat? Cheaper than cat litter!

dandysmom
17-11-2008, 05:40 PM
I've never had any of mine do that; my Siamese used to sit on the edge of the bath and watch with a sort of horrified expression... you're in that stuff? And Patches fell in once while drinking from the toilet, lost her footing and got sopping wet...

Meep, Bengals love water, I understand...????

Moli
17-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Not the toilet, but Merlin loves to paddle in the sink!

meep
17-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Very curious! DM, Minsky seems to be scared of the toilet when it flushes if he's near it (probably the sudden noise) so not sure why Darcy particularly likes it.

Eileen, I did have that in mind too about bengals and water! However, Darcy has never played in his water bowl or with a running tap as other Bengals or cats with Bengal traits might. But I guess all are different!

I'm just hoping that he won't one day take the plunge, like poor Patches!

dandysmom
17-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Very curious! DM, Minsky seems to be scared of the toilet when it flushes if he's near it (probably the sudden noise) so not sure why Darcy particularly likes it.

Eileen, I did have that in mind too about bengals and water! However, Darcy has never played in his water bowl or with a running tap as other Bengals or cats with Bengal traits might. But I guess all are different!

I'm just hoping that he won't one day take the plunge, like poor Patches!

It was very hard not to laugh! She'd been told often enough that the toilet was NOT a water bowl, but she would do it .... :-D

Tina
18-11-2008, 01:22 AM
I don't think Mouse has any feeling seither way for the toilet......she's completely indifferent to it. Miw runs if she's in the bathroom when someone flushes it. Miw does like the bathtub though......if we let her in the bathroom when one of us is in there, she'll jump in the tub. Once when she was about 4 months old, I was in the tub and hubby let Miw into the bathroom.......she immediately leaped into the tub, without realising there was water in it. She proceeded to climb up my bare back to my shoulder and leap off to the floor......it took weeks to recover from the scratches on my back LOL! But it was pretty darned funny!

meep
18-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Tina, that's such a cute image of wee kitten Miw in the bath! Although I imagine the scratches must have been sore, ouch!

dinahsmum
18-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Have you thought of toilet training them?
Have you seen this (http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=15234&highlight=toilet+training+the+kittens) thread?

meep
18-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Very interesting suggestion DM, and thanks for the link!

To be honest, I think OH would boke at the idea. He's iffy when cleaning out the litter as it is (just squeamish about it) so he'd probably run a mile if I suggested they use the same toiliet as us :roll: It's a good idea though, I can see the advantages!

cats' staff
20-11-2008, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=meep;520567]
Secondly, I hasten to add, this is only when, say, I've been taking off make up and put my make-up stained cotton pads in the toilet then flush. =QUOTE]

Er sorry to go off topic and sound preachy but cotton wool pads shouldn't be flushed away as they cause all sorts of environmental problems and end up on beaches and in the sea- they can cause sea life a lot of problems. I probably can't advertise a shop here but if you go to a high street shop well known for their ethics and non animal testing you can buy washable, reusable small flannel squares that work really well for make up removal.

dandysmom
20-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I wasn't aware of that, CS, thanks for posting it!

meep
21-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Oh gosh CS that is really interesting, and I have to admit complete ignorance; I simply did not know that. I will put mine in the bin from now on, as I don't mean to do these things out of laziness or not thinking. I simply didn't know :oops: But thanks for making me aware!

diskinc
22-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Both Jack & Lily are fascinated by the toilet especially when it is flushed. They put their front paws on the seat and peer in it.

They also jump in the bath when I get out of the shower and lick up any water from the bottom (I always rinse it thoroughly before I get out to remove any soap suds).

It is cute but can be a pain when I want a bath as it is hard to relax when you are being stared at!

furriefriend
15-12-2008, 12:59 AM
So thats how you toilet train a cat.My Bently seems to have decided that my kitchen sink is just fine if its too wet to go out side he gave up using a tray quite early on and used the kitchen floor then moved to the sink. Not sure I am happy with this latest habit but at least I can bleach the sink esay enough