PDA

View Full Version : The Devil's Whore

dinahsmum
17-11-2008, 02:03 PM
A Civil War drama starts 9pm Wednesday, Channel 4. First of a 4-parter.
Sounds good and it has (a bewhiskered) John Simm, stripped to the waist in some scenes. mmm ;)

angieh
17-11-2008, 03:20 PM
It clashes with Catsey quiz and Heroes! I'll have to watch it on catch-up. I'm interested in anything to do with the Civil War - although I don't suppose it will be very factual!!

dinahsmum
17-11-2008, 03:27 PM
It gets good (p)reviews.
We'll have to see

yola
17-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Factual?? It's got a semi-nekkid John Simm in it . . . . who cares if they bend the truth a bit LOL!!!!

But yes, we did see the trailer the other night on the TV and thought it would be a good one to watch.

angieh
17-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Factual?? It's got a semi-nekkid John Simm in it . . . . who cares if they bend the truth a bit LOL!!!!

But yes, we did see the trailer the other night on the TV and thought it would be a good one to watch.

Well, I bet people (maybe not John Simm!) were even totally naked :shock: :shock: :shock: - all through history - :shock: :shock: :oops: so that bit is probably more factual than others!!!

(Sorry Yola, your comment made me hoot!)

Natalie
17-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Who cares if it's any good aslong and John Simm is at least semi naked :p :p :p :p

meep
17-11-2008, 10:08 PM
I noticed it, and I adore any sort of historial programme, whether it be fact or fiction, but it seemed very 'sexy', much like the Tudors which just annoyed me. Even though the actor who played Henry was Hot with a capital H, Henry was overweight, had gout, and had red hair not black. Even though the film 'The Other Boelyn Girl' also didn't portray Henry like this, it at least made him seem a bit more realistic. The Tudors just annoyed me too much to watch, not sure if the Devil's Whore will do the same. I prefer things like 'Elizabeth' (the film). Less scandalous, still Holywood-ised but romantic, not scandalous. Saying that, I may watch the first episode and see if I get hooked ;)

Angie, I adore Heroes! Although I'm always one week ahead as I watch it at 10 on BBC 3, not 9 on BBC2. It means if I'm busy one Wednesday night I can catch up the next week at 9 on BBC 2;)

yola
20-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Right . . . well I decided to watch the BBC4 offering about children's book illustration (something close to my heart) instead of Mr Simm, but once this had finished I managed to catch the '+1' channel purely by chance.

I watched about 1/2 of the eposide as I was very tired and the overriding impression was that the supporting characters (Mr Simm, Oliver Cromwell, John, John's wife etc) were all excellent. However the 2-dimensional plasticity of the two leads . . . a modern-day simpering Nicola Paget and a bloke straight out of a Hugo Boss aftershave ad really didn't endear me.

Oh well . . .

meep
20-11-2008, 12:05 PM
I watched all of this (managd to watch it around Heroes at 10pm on BBC3, by watching the first hour on C4 then the last 20 minutes after Heroes on C4+1 ;) )

I have to say that I was very impressed. The adverts by C4 made it look like a sex scandal, what with the 'dirty' music and mainly clips of naked women or couples kissing. And the name of the series. But the actual show had far more scenes of the Cromwell uprising and the politics. I admit my knowledge of this period of history is non-existent, and I am now today going to read up on it, which I have the show to thank for. And I feel the programme didn't fill in the gaps for people who were ignorant like myself, and it did jump about a bit so I was quite confused.

I also find the 'scenes' between Angelica and Henry confusing, as it was obvious he didn't want her to make noises whilst they made love, as it made her seem more whore-ish, but this didn't seem to go anywhere, yet it seemed to hold a lot of significance.

Overall I enjoyed it, great peformances from the characters, great costumes and set, nicely presented story. I'll be tuning in next week :)

angieh
20-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, I caught it on C4 +1 - and thought it was worth watching and will watch it again next week.

A bit concerned that it will get unnecessarily "spooky" - demons and souls leaving bodies etc. - but then that was a very superstitious age and was followed by the witch hunts etc. so maybe that's the way it's going.

Interesting as I had no idea it was based on the life of a real person.

dinahsmum
20-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Sounds good - I have it recorded for watching tonight

meep
20-11-2008, 04:36 PM
**SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T WATCHED IT YET (DM ;) )**

Angie, I didn't realise it was based on someone's life either; makes it much more interesting! Also, I do think it's nice they're tapping into the superstitions of the day; especially as Angelica's husband came out and asked her whether she fornicated with the Devil when he visited her as a child. The Devil himself freaked me out quite a lot! He did look a bit 'weird' and 'fake' but also very realistic in a strange, juxtaposing way! I wonder what hte symbolism of the Devil "with his tongue unfurled" means, as Angelica's husband mentions this when he accuses her of being a whore.

Natalie
20-11-2008, 04:55 PM
I fell asleep after 10 mins :oops: :oops: :oops:

dinahsmum
21-11-2008, 03:38 PM
I rather enjoyed it - it was a bit bloodthirsty though wasn't it?
Thought the king's beard was awful - I kept looking at it wondering if it was real or fake and if it was fake why hadn't make up given him a better one? .... and consequently missed bits of the dialogue!
Next episode will be the clincher - to watch or give up; it feels like watch, at the moment