PDA

View Full Version : Cats in the Bedroom at Night

meep
16-11-2008, 12:54 PM
(I wasn't sure where to post this, I think it may be 'behaviour', sorry if it's not mods!)

Since the day we've had Darcy and Minsky we've allowed them free access to every room in the house at all times (apart from the bathroom, or when painting etc.) as apparently the previous owner did this. The two of them now will always sleep on the bed at night. It's very comforting, and I do really like having them on the bed, but for several reasons I am considering keeping them shut out of the bedroom at night.

Firstly, as I am a big, big softie, I am worried I'll "hurt their feelings" :roll: :lol: With my cats at home, when I was a kid, my mum and dad would both say "don't let them rule over you. They're just cats". Now we all know cats were born to rule over humans, but we need to sometimes regain control ;) So I am worried that this may alter their interaction with us and make them less affectionate, although I really hope not.

Secondly, the actual process of doing this is, I can tell, going to result in about two weeks worth of pitiful, heart-wrenching yowls and incessant scratching at the bedroom door. We have only once shut them out one night as an experiment and Darcy did eventually stop, but the next night he ran through to bedroom and plonked himself right between us at our heads and started purring very loudly, so the poor love was obviously distraught. Normally they both sleep at the foot of the bed, not touching us, so this was quite unusual.

They would still be allowed in the bedroom during the day (we put a throw over the bed during the day, so they can sleep on it but don't get hairs all over it), and at the weekend in the morning would be allowed in. But there are several reasons I'd like the bedroom 'cat-free' at night (one particular one, I'm sure you savvy folk can work out.)

So, I'm looking for advice on this. Does anyone not allow their cats in the bedroom at night? Has anyone switched from allowing to not allowing? Does anyone think this would make them less affectionate toward us or would they adapt and eventually get used to it as the norm?

As a kid we lived in a house rather than flat, and the cats just weren't allowed upstairs, they were only allowed in the kitchen and downstairs living room, and they slept 'out the back' (the boiler room). (it was a very big kitchen and they had outdoor access so weren't 'stifled or caged'.) The cats were never allowed on the beds as we were all allergic (my mum too) and my parents maintained it was unhygenic as they were outdoor cats and could have ticks, bugs etc. But as these two are indoor cats I don't see it as unhygenic.

Anyway, any advice or comments people can give on the matter would be greatly appreciated! After owning them for 6 months I am now well and truly wrapped round their little paws and hate the thought of 'hurting' them (emotionally!) but do really feel the need to reclaim the bedroom at night. I like my own space, and like things to be clean. And cats make the bed quite hairy, and don't give me and OH our own space. Also, they wake us up in the mornign by walking all over us and knocking things over... Can be endearing but mainly irritating!

angieh
16-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Oh meep - I do totally understand your reasons for wanting the bedroom to be cat free and if you can manage by moulting time next spring, you'll be very pleased with yourselves. I do not think that you or your OH are being cruel to Darcy or Minsky. Also, they are jolly big cats and take up loads of room too I'm sure.

We have always allowed Merlin and Smudge (when she was alive) free run of our bungalow. Smudge hardly ever came on the bed - usually only when I was poorly and in bed during the day did she come and be "nursemaid". Merlin normally only comes on the bed if the weather is especially cold and now we have the woodburner and his thermal cushion, he stays in the lounge until early morning when he joins us. He rarely actively tries to wake us up and now that he is a much slighter cat than previously even when he perches on my hip, he does not trouble me.

Right - so how to go about getting your two to sleep happily somewhere else? Firstly, I would try to provide a couple of warm cosy cat beds somewhere of your choosing. I am remembering that you have storage heaters, so night time is probably the cosiest time in your flat - perhaps put their beds in the vacinity of a heater? So once you are sure they will be warm and comfy, close the doors. You are right and you will probably have to suffer a while of piteous wailing and scratching at the door - but you shouldn't give in if you want to have time to yourselves.

Good luck!

dinahsmum
16-11-2008, 01:09 PM
An interesting question, well posed and, yes, we can read between the lines and work out why you really don't want them there ;)
I think that practically and intellectually, it's obvious that we should restrict access to the bed to humans. The cats lie anywhere they like on the bed and we, humans, seem to have some inbuilt programming to accommodate them, twisting ourselves so as not to disturb them! Quite daft.

That's the theory. We've always allowed any cat any access it wishes - and woken stiff in the morning to prove it. Even now, with a very wide bed, we both inwardly cheer when they prefer to stay downstairs with the embers of the fire than join us in the bedroom.

I suppose we could shut the door and keep them out . ... but we never have.

meep - despite all I say, I agree that you should keep the bed for yourselves. It probably won't be easy and you may not be able to do it. Do you think it might be easier on you
if you start once the winter has passed. You won't feel so mean.

Good luck

angieh
16-11-2008, 01:14 PM
One of my favourite cards .........

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Misc/001.jpg

meep
16-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the reply Angie, it's nice to have some reassuance that I'm not doing the wrong thing!

To be honest, they don't currently have cat beds! Not out of cruelty or stinginess. When we first got them we got two boxes and put fleecy blankets in them (a cat doesn't know the difference between an actual cat bed and a box with blankets!) they were very comfy and cosy, and they used them once or twice then decided the chairs under the table were far comfier :roll: Also, it's quite strange, but both of them are quite 'warm' cats. They have quite thick fur, especially Minsky, and even when the flat is cold, they'll sit by an open window and I've never once seen them settle in front of the storage heater. But if we did lock them out the bedroom I would invest in cat beds and position them in the living room (where the storage heater is) but not in front of the storage heater as I think they'd find this too warm. I was in the petshop yesterday and they had some really lovely looking cat beds, with a faux fur interior, even I would happily sleep in a human sized one! But I think I'll need to buy one for a 'small dog' rather than cat, as the cat ones are teeny! Poor Minsky would be hanging out both sides :lol:

They are just very affectionate, and quite often will fall asleep leaning against our legs. I think they just like to be close.

I've not discussed this with OH yet, as he's been away all weekend and I started thinking it over seriously in my head yesterday. I'm sure he won't object, he's less of a softie about them than I am. I always get him to tell them off if they've done something bad :roll:

Eep, fingers crossed this whole experiment goes well! Darcy really does have the most heart-wrenching yowl. Minsky doesn't scratch or yowl to my knowledge, he'll probably just find somewhere comfy to sleep and settle down.

meep
16-11-2008, 01:17 PM
DM, thanks for that! And Angie, that card is hilarious!! :lol:

DM, as I said in my above reply to Angie (I think we were typing and posting at the same time) the boys don't seem to feel the cold (as yet anyway, but it's gotten pretty darned chilly at times!) We have wooden floors in some rooms and they often stretch out on them when it's freezing. I think they actually feel the warmth more than anything! Minsky has the thickest, softest coat I've seen on a cat. So I wouldn't feel mean shutting them out in the winter, as I don't think they mind the cold. Ocasionally they haven't slept on the bed with us (they're own choice) and they choose to sleep in the coldest room in the flat - the back room / study. (The sunlight hardly gets in there). So no, I won't feel mean about the cold! :) But it's a good point.

I bet after I buy their beds they just won't use them :roll: But when I do shut them out the first time, I'll make sure they have their beds as then they won't feel like they don't have anywhere to sleep.

Elaine
16-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Living in a flat myself, we have always let the cats have the run of the place, partly because i love my bedtime cuddles and because they need the room but its not for every one and its certainly not wrong to keep them out of your bedroom if thats what you prefer.
You could try feeding them later at night and playing with them lots before bedtime to try to keep the disturbances down through the night.
You could also, if you have the room to do so, make little hidey holes for them in other rooms, to make them more attracted to staying in those rooms more, use plenty of catnip too.;)
Hope some of those ideas work and good luck:D

smudgley
16-11-2008, 02:57 PM
The bed without Bluebell?? If I suggested Bluebell was not allowed in the bedroom - can you imagine the uproar :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Elaine
16-11-2008, 03:03 PM
The bed without Bluebell?? If I suggested Bluebell was not allowed in the bedroom - can you imagine the uproar :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Moli
16-11-2008, 03:53 PM

Think there would be more chance of you being banned from the bedroom, than Bluebell...Smudgley:roll: :roll: :lol:

dandysmom
16-11-2008, 05:13 PM
I sympathize, Meep, but I couldn't do it. And yes, because of the fear that they would feel rejected and unloved. Foolish, perhaps, but I've always had my cats sleep with me and sometimes find it difficult to drop off if said cat hasn't come up to bed for some reason. But living alone I don't have the "privacy required" situation..:-D. If you can tough it out till they (Darcy mainly) adjusts it should be OK, but will be a hard week or so....good luck!

Tina
16-11-2008, 06:39 PM
We've always let our cats have free run of the house, and they do tend to take up a lot of space on the bed! I can understand the wish to have the bed to yourselves!

When Mouse got ill last spring the vet said she had to be kept quiet and not to let her play and get excited. Miw and Mouse have a tendency to chase each other about the house, so this meant keeping Mouse in a room that Miw couldn't access without supervision. The obvious choice was the bedroom as we also had to watch Mouse 24 hours a day due to the sleep apnea she had developed. Needless to say, Miw was not AT ALL pleased....not only was she banned from the bedroom at night......but she KNEW that Mouse was IN the bedroom! What followed was several nights of heart-breaking crying outside the door (and OH usually got up in the middle of the night to go to the spare room with Miw), and Miw admittedly snubbed me for the first days.......apparently it was entirely MY fault!

After about a week I had the brilliant idea of putting a warm fluffy jumper I had been wearing all day on one of Miw's favourite chairs in the dining room one night......I showed her it was there at bedtime.....and hey presto, a QUIET night! That was when she stopped snubbing me too!

So, maybe try a jumper you or OH have worn, on a favourite sleeping place other than the bedroom? The cats may just need that extra comfort of your smell.

Good luck! :-D

Jasmine
16-11-2008, 07:01 PM
All the cats I have had have free run of the house in the daytime but at night I have always put them in the kitchen - they soon get used to it.

In July I had a 12 year old cat from the C.P - the first night he was shut in the kitchen (with a bed, food and his litter tray of course) he cried all night and scratched the door continually , the next night for only part of the night - by the tine we had him for 5 days there was no problem and now he knows it is bedtime and is quite happy to go in there - normally we hear nothing from him until next morning.

Like everything they soon get used to things - when I first had him he wanted to go out every night after tea, but soon realised I did not let him out at night - now he never does that - he is quite happy to go in the lounge and wait for us to go and sit down with him.

smudgley
16-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Think there would be more chance of you being banned from the bedroom, than Bluebell...Smudgley:roll: :roll: :lol:

Now THAT is very, very true :roll: :-D

meep
18-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Day 1

The boys were loving their new beds during the evening, and whilst they normally play a lot around 9 or 10, they were both snuggled up and snoozing. However, once they knew we were making our normal moves for bed (brushing our teeth, turning off tv) they woke up and started playing. So they weren't in their beds when we went to ours.

Thankfully neither of them were waiting for us on our bed, they were both playing in the living room. So I said goodnight to them, and shut the bedroom door. It took about half an hour for Darcy to realise, but once he did...

It was just what I expected really. A normal meow, a scratch. A more persistent meow. A few scratches. 2 minutes in, he was yowling and howling and digging furiously at the door, it keep moving slightly as if he was butting against it, and his yowls were so heart-wrenching "rrooawwwwwwllllllllll!!!" He did that for about 10 minutes then settled down. Then about 20 minutes later he was at it again. But we remained completely steadfast and ignored him entirely. I know if I went and opened the door to try and calm him, it would give him hope and make him thing if he scratched and meowed for long enough, someone would open the door.

So we eventually fell asleep, but I was woken up in the middle of the night (3amish) to the same yowling and dramatic digging, scratching and butting of the door. It only lasted 10 minutes at a time, then the yowls turned to peeps, and prrps and then he was quiet.

(I don't think Minsky took part in any of the yowling or digging. I didn't recognise his meow, and Darcy is the more vocal of the two.)

This morning we were woken up at 7am by the same thing, but this time it was more "it's breakfast time! come on!" as usually if they were in the bedroom they'd be pushing things off the shelves and walking all over us at this time.

When I opened the door, both were sitting directly in front of me, staring straight up with big eyes. Minsky may have been sitting there when Darcy was yowling and clawing.

Darcy was extra affectionate this morning, but Minsky was his normal playful self. Neither of them seemed any worse for the night-time antics, Darcy just a bit clingier.

Don't know if it was a coincidence, but when I went to leave the flat this morning (OH had already left) normally they sit on the bed and watch me go, longingly, but this morning they were both sitting in front of the door. Minsky was lying lengthways, leaning against it and Darcy was sitting at the side where it would open and sniffing at the crack, then looking up at me and peeping and purring. Normally if I gently knudge him aside with my foot, he'll walk backwards and I can get out, but everytime I did that, he jumped over it and sat at the door with determination.

So I think they were both a bit clingier than normal and a bit unsettled by not being in the bedroom for the first time since we've had them. But there was no destruction in the flat, and neither seemed upset otherwise (still eating, using litter tray etc.)

It was really heart-wrenching to listen to, as Darcy has never really yowled like that before, very forlorn and needy. But I have made a resolution and am trying to stick to it. In a few months time it'll be a routine and they'll be as used to it as they were when they slept on the bed. I did miss them on the bed too it has to be said, but we'll all benefit in the long-run I'm sure!

yola
18-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I couldn't do it, you are very brave and resolute! When the boys were tiny (like newborns) OH insisted that the cats be shut in the kitchen/dining room basement (where their food/water/litter is anyway). I couldn't bear it so on the pretext of having a drink I would go down and 'accidentally' leave the door open ;)

The cats would mooch up but showed no interest in the baby . . . simply staked their old positions on the bed and it was business as usual :D

dinahsmum
18-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Well done!
(I couldn't/wouldn't do it either!)
Have you any double sided sticky tape meep? If so, put some on the floor where he's scratching - they really don't like the feel of it, apparently
Hope it will be even easier tonight

meep
18-11-2008, 11:46 AM
It was hard Yola, but I know there's light at the end of the tunnel!

As I said, when I had cats as a kid they were never allowed upstairs let alone on the beds, so I am used to it in a way. I did love having them on the bed some nights, but other nights it would have its down sides. I think in the long run it's best all round.

I made sure to give Darcy lots of extra cuddles this morning, and played with Minsky's ball a lot more!

meep
18-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the advice about double-sided tape DM. I don't have any, and don't know if it would deter Darcy as it's not just the floor but the entire door that he scratches at so would have to cover the whole door in it!

I know it's hard to imagine not having your pusses on the bed at night, as they are so loving and comforting. But keep in mind my two are extra large cats, and OH isn't small himself so often the bed is a very tight fit! They also shed hair everywhere and as I was badly allergic as a kid, even though I am ok now, if the bed gets too cat-y I sometimes wake up with a few rash spots on my face and sneezy all morning. I need to remind myself of the pros in doing this!

Also, my two would witout fail every night be on the bed all night, rather than occasionally joining us. It got a bit cramped!

fancyabrew
18-11-2008, 02:10 PM
I wish we never let Chloe in to the bedroom as she really has taken over! She started by sleeping at the end of the bed and has over time moved further up and now plonks herself right by my head, and by morning she seems to have taken up even more room, that’s if she hasn’t woke me up at some early hour to climb under the duvet. Then there’s the hair and bits of grit and stone she seems to leave behind. And the worst was when she chucked up all over the duvet in the middle of the night, NOT nice!

We’re kind of lucky as we have a Super King bed, which fits 3 pillows across but she still takes up loads of room.

dandysmom
18-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Good for you, Meep! I couldn't do it. Cats do adapt to routine, so hopefully it won't be too long before they adjust....although as I said in another post, it's hard to out-stubborn a cat!

meep
18-11-2008, 05:43 PM
To be honest Eileen, when you're woken up at 3am to scratching and yowling, no matter how pitiful it sounds, I'm too much of a sleepy grump to cave at that point ;) So I have sleep-deprived grumpiness on my stubborn side!

angieh
18-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I admire and respect your resolve meep! You are not being cruel to your boys - after all, you've bought them both a lovely bed to sleep in. They'll get used to it. IMO, you are right not to give in to them - once you do, that will be your resolve broken.

I wonder though how you will feel when your OH is away and it would be so lovely to have them to keep you company?

Jasmine
18-11-2008, 08:59 PM
I am absolutely certain they will not love you any the less for it - we certainly get plenty of love and affection from Chino.

Unfortunately he is not very well at the moment, which is upsetting as we have only had him for 4 months and seemed healthy for a 12 year old. He has been to the vets twice since Friday and now has to go again tomorrow as he keeps going on his litter tray without urinating - he has had a urine sample tested and no infection so do not know what will be next.

dandysmom
18-11-2008, 08:59 PM
I admire and respect your resolve meep! You are not being cruel to your boys - after all, you've bought them both a lovely bed to sleep in. They'll get used to it. IMO, you are right not to give in to them - once you do, that will be your resolve broken.

I wonder though how you will feel when your OH is away and it would be so lovely to have them to keep you company?

:smt005 Get a sleeping bag and join them in the living room? :-D

dinahsmum
19-11-2008, 09:35 AM
I thought of you at 5.30am when Chester came for a chat! The fire must have finally gone out, so he came up to pripp and chirrup and go under the duvet and rasp my inner arm and purr and knead with claws out .........
When I was properly awake and unable to go back to sleep he took himself off to sleep on top of the covers, at my feet. Ho hum
Don't you just love 'em?

meep
19-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Day 2

Wow, what a night! From the moment we shut the door to waking up this morning there wasn't one peep! A complete change from the first night.

I went to bed slightly early and read a book whilst OH stayed up on the computer. As we weren't both in bed with lights out I left the bedroom door open and Minsky came and joined me on the bed whilst I read. Half an hour later when OH came through, he gently urged Minsky off the bed, which he did without a grumble, and then took them both through to the living room, then came back and shut the door. And voila. We didn't hear anything until morning! A small miracle!

They seemed to be waiting for us in the morning outside the bedroom door, as the moment OH's alarm went off Darcy started meowing and scratching at the door, for the first time all night. But I see that as 'good' behaviour as he didn't disturb us until he thought we were awake, bless him.

This morning neither of them again seemed worse for wear, and I would say it has made them slightly more affectionate in the morning as before Darcy would be all over me before breakfast, get his breakfast, then go to the box above the wardrobe and sleep being even slightly grumpy and wanting to be left alone. But now he'll eat his breakfast then sit by me whilst I eat mine, purring with a content look on his face. I don't think he's any more 'clingy' or insecure, just affectionate.

I don't want to speak too soon, but here's hoping tonight will be the same! I really am astounded at how quickly they've come round to the idea. They do love their beds though, normally when we're watching tv in the evening they bound around trying to get our attention but it was strangely quiet for a good hour and I realised they were both curled up in their beds, bless :)

meep
19-11-2008, 10:20 AM

Good question Angie! I'm not sure... I wouldn't want to disrupt a routine when they get into it, especially as they seem to have adapted to this new one so well. To be honest, I would be sorely tempted to let them sleep on the bed if OH was away. I don't know how much that would take us back to before, or whether they'd understand it as a 'treat'. I might try it once and then see how easily they go back to being kept out the bedroom the next night. Is that naughty of me? :roll:

meep
19-11-2008, 10:20 AM
:smt005 Get a sleeping bag and join them in the living room? :-D

:lol: :-D They might think I've gone loopy!

meep
19-11-2008, 10:21 AM
I thought of you at 5.30am when Chester came for a chat! The fire must have finally gone out, so he came up to pripp and chirrup and go under the duvet and rasp my inner arm and purr and knead with claws out .........
When I was properly awake and unable to go back to sleep he took himself off to sleep on top of the covers, at my feet. Ho hum
Don't you just love 'em?

Oh Dm, that made me smile. Sounds just like my two. Especially the pripp and chirrup noises, that's the noises Minsky always makes when he comes to investigate whilst we're still asleep in bed. I wonder what it means?

Hope you're not too sleepy this morning after chester's late night visit!

meep
19-11-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Chloe, Jasmine :( Hopefully she'll get better soon after a trip to the vets.

meep
20-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Day 3

Exactly the same as last night, not a peep until our alarms went off this morning. It seems after the first-night of tough love and poor Darcy wailing his heart out, they realised what it all meant.

They were both asleep in their beds before we went to ours, so they obviously have picked up on the routine. And they were just as affectionate and loving this morning, so I don't think they are 'hurt' or aloof as I feared they would be.

Happy cats and people all round! :)

angieh
20-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Well that's the best possible outcome. Well done meep - please give Darcy and Minsky an extra cuddle from me and tell them how good I think they are! Lovely good boys.

meep
20-11-2008, 04:39 PM
I will Angie! I have to say I do miss them on the bed, and the fact they are quite content in the living room makes me wish they were on the bed again :roll: Reverse psychology ;) But I know it's for the best, and as they seem happy sleeping in their own beds I won't disrupt them now they've gotten it so quickly. And they are still as loveable and playful as ever.

dandysmom
20-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Happy news! Truthfully, I'm amazed, thought it would take much longer than this! Your boys catch on quickly, bless them.

meep
20-11-2008, 05:10 PM
I am truly amazed too DM! The first night was awful, relentless and heart-wrenching yowling. But Darcy isn't acting "off" with us now, as I thought he might. And they do seem to adore their beds, they're in them most of the evening when we're having dinner etc when normally they'd be playing. They do still play, but maybe the winter months are putting them in hibernation mode ;)

Last night I thought "maybe the night before was a fluke" but nope, they seem to have the hang of it! Minsky didn't even complain when he got gently knudged off the bed, bless him!

Jasmine
20-11-2008, 08:38 PM
So glad it has been a success - cats like routine and soon get used to changes as long as it is consistent

dinahsmum
21-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Magic beds!
I'm pleased it was so easy for you

meep
21-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Thank you! I am very pleased too, I'd been expecting it to be a lot harder. Last night Darcy was on the bed (he's clingier than Minsky) and I was worried he'd be clingy but when OH lifted him off the bed and took him through to his own, we shut the door, heard one wee "mew?" and all was silent as a mouse :)

diskinc
22-11-2008, 05:05 PM
My previous cat Alf always slept in the bedroom when I lived alone but when my slightly allergic bf moved in I had to stop it.

He had a favourite little chair that I used to move into the kitchen at night and he slept happily in there. He had the run of the kitchen and conservatory and seemed happy enough. He did cry a bit the first night but after that he settled.

It may be easier than you think :-)

Elvisisboss
23-11-2008, 05:10 AM
I haven't read all the posts, But i don't like 'Kittens' in my bedroom at night....not cats...Kittens!! sorry but when Elvis was a kitten he got right on my nerves!!! always playing and waking me up! Tay is the same!!

Tay as been staying in the lounge with the door shut since i got him, he now takes the time to rip up HALF of the newly laid carpet GRRrrr.....!

Elvis i don't mind he comes and goes as he pleases his on the landing under the bed etc (my door is left half open & i have a night light outside....not cos im scared of the dark but due to the fact i have nightmares alot and i like to see light outside of my room!)

if i shut the door they wouldn't care less to be honest!

I don't think its mean/nasty or anything in that categories! its just what people like in or out!

if you want them out id say make sure that you leave them in a room or let them wander the house..........but you know there make a fuss banging on the door! OH! and make sure they cant rip up your carpet!! GRrrrrrr!!!

meep
23-11-2008, 12:18 PM
A wee update:

From the first night we started, all has been going really well. But last night, around 4.45am I was woken up to the same scratching and yowling that Darcy displayed on the first night. I first thought it was around 7.30am and he was wanting his breakfast but when I realised how early it was, I thought he must just be trying his luck. I needed the loo anyway so stumbled to the bathroom half asleep, and when I came back he was on the bed (hadn't 'shut' the door, only pulled it over); I was so tired and he looked so comfy I didn't have the strength, energy or heart to throw him out. He caught me off guard ;)

But then, most unusually, he did something he's never done before. When I was safely tucked up again he came to the top of the bed and quite forecfully pushed himself under the duvet. He's never been under the duvet before, and I once or twice (back when they were allowed in the bedroom at night ;) ) showed him under the duvet when he was sitting on the pillow, but he's never shown any interest. But last night he used his head to push himself under, then he plonked himself down forcefully in a very loving but assertive way, and 'spooned' with me in the crook of my arm and chest (i was lying on my side) and put his paw of my hand and purred for a good half hour, then eventually fell asleep for 2 whole hours :shock:

I was so touched. He's never come under the covers before (a habit I wouldn't encourage!) but he obviously is such a snuggle puss and loves human contact, and being shut out the bedroom must have made him more clingy. Poor lad. Despite how wonderfully cute and touching it was, I'll still be shutting them out the bedroom as I have had a much better nights' sleep this past week (apart from last night!) than I normally do.

Just wanted to share that wee story, as I was so shocked and touched. It was very cute! The three of us (OH, me and Darcy) tucked up in bed. I just wanted to give him the biggest hug and squeeze, he was so cute lying there purring, but was too tired and so was he ;)

Elvisisboss
23-11-2008, 02:28 PM
aww so cute!! he must have missed you!! :D

elvis used to come under the covers, i miss that!! :D

angieh
23-11-2008, 02:47 PM
That's a sweet story meep! Darcy must really have been missing his mummy and you gave him an inch and he took the mile!

dandysmom
23-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Touching! He does love his mum, hard to resist that .......

furriefriend
15-12-2008, 12:50 AM
I cant add any advice to that already given. I hate sharing my bed with a cat and never have unti... myon has always taken our burmese to bed since he was a kitten, she sleeps happily under the duvet with him. All was well until his girlfriend arrivedshe is allergic to cats so if she stays Lotus has to go ! So guess what she arrives in our bed unless we are very careful and the picture previously is just what happens. Last night I thought she was with me and spent the night avoiding moving or lying my furry hot water bottle thinking it was her do I feel silly or what!

furriefriend
15-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Just looked at my typing whoops hope you get the idea though.