PDA

View Full Version : Cats and Mirrors

dandysmom
15-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Following on Stitch's post about cats and TV, do or have any of your cats ever recognized themselves in a mirror, or thought it was another cat in the mirror? I've only had one, Sultan...he hissed at himself thinking it was an intruder!

angieh
15-11-2008, 10:11 PM
I think that recognising oneself in a mirror is quite an advanced function, so I suppose that thinking a reflected image is another cat would be the next best thing. I have been trying to think back to when Merlin was younger but I can't remember how he reacted.

It is an interesting question though Eileen and I am surprised you haven't had more posts.

stitch_too
15-11-2008, 10:18 PM
i have a big mirror downstairs, near the gas meter, but Flossie has never looked at herself in it. perhaps i should put it in a better place, just to see her reaction, and post the results, tomorrow.

dandysmom
15-11-2008, 10:33 PM
I agree about it being a higher function to recognise the image as "self", not "other". I believe I read somewhere that very primitive tribes were unable to do so when first seeing themselves. But Sultan was the smartest cat I'd ever had, and he definitely reacted with shock and anger...the first time. Ever after, he ignored the mirror image.

Tina
16-11-2008, 01:01 AM
I don't think either of our cats have ever had any reaction to their reflection in the mirror. I often hold them in front of the mirror......which doesn't seem to confuse them either.....strange really LOL!

Phoenix
16-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Beauty never cared about her reflection, she'd look and be like OK, fine!

Dylan just ignores the mirror image of himself.

meep
16-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I always wonder if I'm looking in the mirror (putting on make up) and one of them is behind me and looks up at me, whether they're looking at my face in the mirror as a human would. But probably not! I think they either some sort of movement and can't work out what it is, or they are attractd by the light reflecting (we all know how cats love light!)

Darcy frequently does something quite sweet. I caught it on video and posted it ages ago. Have a wee look:

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=28504

I think everyone on this thread has seen it before, but I thought it was quite appropriate!

calismum
16-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Only one of the 10 cats I've been owned by has ever paid attention to the mirror. It resulted in Pepper arching her back, bottle brush tail and low growls. After a stand off (with herself) she walked away very slowly. Never reacted after that.

I've had more reaction from puppies.

A few of my cats have watched tv tho'. Usually snooker or some cartoons. Also Kinsi will chase the cursor arrow on the pc.

dandysmom
16-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Only one of the 10 cats I've been owned by has ever paid attention to the mirror. It resulted in Pepper arching her back, bottle brush tail and low growls. After a stand off (with herself) she walked away very slowly. Never reacted after that.

I've had more reaction from puppies.

A few of my cats have watched tv tho'. Usually snooker or some cartoons. Also Kinsi will chase the cursor arrow on the pc.

Same with Sultan. I think he was embarrassed that he'd mistaken it for another cat!

CathyW
16-11-2008, 09:40 PM
ronnie saw himself in a reflection oin a picture. we went over all stiff legged tail straight up. and then looked behind it to see where the other cat was LOL