PDA

View Full Version : unwell puss

furriefriend
15-11-2008, 04:23 PM
I now i have only just joined but can anyone give me some ideas.
Lotus has been unwell now for over a month. She had been very grumpy for ages then about amonth ago caught a nasty bug, pooing eerywher. Kitten and puppy got it to but not so bad. Antibiotics all round. Since then she has not been right her third eyelid is permanently over v.v. antisocial spitting and growling at evrrythingand if you pick her up and she doesnt want to be she leaks poo as she struggles.
She has been back to the vet spent 2 days there on a drip to rehydrate her and had been given a painkiller as her tummy seemed sore kidney and liver function tests done everything came back negative. Vet has prescribed feliway and zelkene tablet for stress.Its been a week now and no change. She eats well and has good coat.Ant suggestions as I am not convinced there is something more.

Over the last 2 years we have introduced 2 dogs and akitten and lost a dog and a cat. Lotus has always lived with dogs and cats and there has been no problem.
Sorry it was so long any ideas?

Elaine
15-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Poor girl, if you think there may be more to this than stress, it may be a good idea to get a second opinion.
When you say she leaks poo, is it kind of watery and very pungent smelling? If so, it may be an idea to have her anal glands checked.
I have a very stressy kitty, I didnt find the feliway and Zylkene of any help tbh but others do find it helpful, maybe it depends on the level of stress. My Eva now has Reiki sessions and is doing very well on them.

furriefriend
15-11-2008, 04:48 PM
He had alook at her anal glands. She is tempermental always has been but has got worse with each new arrival, I thought she was missing our moggie who died last year and thought Bentley would do the trick but seems to have made it worse although we love him. The physical symptoms have all kicked off since the tummy bug I just dont feel she got over it. The blood tests showed no sign of infection in her though

calismum
15-11-2008, 05:00 PM
I think I'd tend to take her back to vet. There is obviously something not right with her. May be she needs stronger ab's or some diet changes.

She sounds quite miserable and you sound quite stressed about it too.

Hope it turns out well for her.

dandysmom
15-11-2008, 05:43 PM
I wish I had some suggestions; but other than getting a second opinion I really can't think of anything. Poor puss, and poor you, it's so frustrating when nothing prescribed seems to help .....

farthing
15-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Has she been tested for FIV/Felv, sometimes if they have the virus they are more prone to infections and take longer to recover. The other thing to think about is feacal samples to test for things like salmonella and camphylobater.
Hope both you and she feel better soon, leaking pooh isn't normal, and although I've had had semi-feral cats poop themselves when catching them to put in a cat basket, I've never known of healthy ones to 'leak'. I would be pushing for more answers.

furriefriend
16-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks people I am going to ask the vet to test faeces and check he has done the ones that you suggest . She seems a bit more relaxed today and has been on the zelkene for 5days now but I am still not satisfied. I will be contacting my vet tomorrow.

furriefriend
22-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all your support. Lotus is much better her eyes are normal most of the time and her temper is much better. no leaky poo either. She has always been some what stroppy right from day one so I wasnt expecting miracles . I am going to keep on with the zelkene and feliway and see how we go:)

PoshPuss
22-11-2008, 04:27 PM
So glad that Lotus seems to be improving. Hope this continues, til she's right as rain :)

dandysmom
22-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Good news! Do let us know how Lotus is doing.

furriefriend
13-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi folks, an update on Lotus. We are doing well the feliway and the tablet seem to have done the trick. Her eyes are back to normal and she is much happier, Even tolerates Bentley kitten for a bit and is back in the living area's with us instead of hidding away. We are all very pleased

angieh
13-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Very glad Lotus is improving. Hope her progress continues to be good.

dandysmom
13-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Good news! Thanks for the update.