PDA

View Full Version : Posh's anorexia

PoshPuss
15-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Just a follow up to my post in Wednesday's daily thread, I was worried about Posh's appetite. Well the little madame has been getting very picky about her food of late and we noticed that she was often turning her cute button nose up at anything that was proper cat food, ie, sheba, wiskas etc. It never seemed to bother her before, she always ate small amounts, little and often. :?

Now she's getting that she's eating only chicken breast, sliced ham and corned beef (she loves it) but again tiny amounts, about 2 dessert spoons. I'm concerned about the amount of salt, esp. in the corned beef. My OH has seen her drinking so I know she's having water but her stools are fairly hard and she passes them every other day.

She seems ok in herself, grooming, sleeping, scratching her post; feels a fair weight when picked up yet not fat. Is there any tips you can give me for better eating habits and so that I'm not wasting too much cat food. Oh, and she'll only have biscuits if I hand feed them to her:roll:

I think she's ok, just a tad spoiled, :oops:

candyshandy
15-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Foofoo was like this a few weeks ago so I had the vet check her teeth out.

She went for her op on Monday and it turned out she had a broken tooth at the back. Thats been removed and she is a lot better with her food now.

angieh
15-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Yes - that's a good point to check PP, as CS says, dental problems could be the culprit.

I do sympathise, she sounds to be causing as much anxiety with her picky eating as Merlin - but of course she is a much younger cat.

calismum
15-11-2008, 04:57 PM
It is such a worry when they don't eat.

Things I've tried in the past include (all mixed with their fav cat food)
- mixing some cheese in
- sprinkle some oxo cube
- some tomato puree
- grated chicken or turkey
- sardine, tuna or trout

also heating it very slightly makes it smell a bit different (better?)

Good luck

dandysmom
15-11-2008, 05:47 PM
I agree with CM that warming seems to help; I put Leia's tins on the radiator for a bit to warm and she does seem to eat better that way; she's a very picky eater. And the sardines and trout are a good idea, also some salmon, if she'll eat fish.

cats' staff
15-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Tuna in spring water is good if you are worried about salt. Cured meat like ham and corned beef might be a bit too salty for her to have much of but as a treat should be OK.

Mind you- it sounds like she is holding out for the caviar

pinklizzy
15-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Sorry Posh isn't eating too well, it could be that she's holding out for the good stuff but I'd get her checked by your vet-just to rule out any possible medical cause for her inappetance.

farthing
15-11-2008, 11:29 PM
I would definately get her teeth checked, Misty went completely off her food,had a dental and now only eats dry food. Her poor old teeth were too sore to cope- she is 19 though.

PoshPuss
16-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks for your help :) I will see the vet ASAP just to check out any dentition problems. Yesterday she seemed a little better but I knowshe's more keen on real meat than proprietary catfood, as she cleans her plate then! Maybe too, she's missing her grass as she's not been out for some weeks now. I'll grow some trays for the odd nibble.
Will keep you posted :)

dandysmom
16-11-2008, 04:42 PM
PP, don't laugh, but you can pick her some and bring it inside! I do that every day for Leia; she loves being hand-fed hers!

pinklizzy
16-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I grew some grass for Imogen but she was more interested in hiding her toy mice in it so she could 'pounce' on them unawares!

PoshPuss
16-11-2008, 06:13 PM
:-D :-D :D :D thats ma girl!! :lol:

PoshPuss
16-11-2008, 06:15 PM
PP, don't laugh, but you can pick her some and bring it inside! I do that every day for Leia; she loves being hand-fed hers!

:oops: now why hadn't I thought of that !:roll: :lol:

dandysmom
16-11-2008, 08:49 PM
:oops: now why hadn't I thought of that !:roll: :lol:

Here you go, PP! :-D

http://www.catsey.com/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN1501.jpg%5B/IMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN1501.jpg