PDA

View Full Version : I bought a very important tree and need advice

random
14-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Ok last week I bought a peach tree (Amsden) from our local garden center, i'm not the most green fingered of folk but I do enjoy the garden and this tree is to be a memorial of a miscarried baby so as you can imagine, it's already very special to me.

Anyway I bought it, it has since shed it's leaves for winter but I dare not plant it outside for winter, what are the chances it would just die off? I know you are supposed to put them out in early winter but as sad as it is I will honestly be very upset if it died off. It is a grafted plant and the rootstock is probably about 5 years old. My dad said I really haven't chosen the best tree I could have, it might already be badly pot bound and it's roots are showing at the top where it has been transferred to a smaller pot so I need to do something with it asap but it's here now and it's THE tree so just looking for any advice on how best to look after it as I know a lot of you here are keen gardeners.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/randoms_pix/Photo-011.jpg

debbiepem
15-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Hi, as it is such a precious tree the first thing I would recommend you do is transplant it to a MUCH bigger pot. Put some grit at the bottom of it to prevent the roots becoming water logged and leave enough room at the top to enable you to thoroughly water the tree.

Once you have watered it, allow the soil to dry out then you can water again - thoroughly. The best way to do this is to have a tray on which the container sits. When the soil is dry and you water it, leave some water in the tray to ensure the soil becomes saturated.

The rules for feeding your container grown peach tree are to feed it often, it will grow quickly in a container. Normal liquid feed is ideal and the tree should be fed once every ten days or so. A mulch over the surface of the soil in March is a good idea.

Place in a sunny area and move it to the garden around March / April after risk of frost has passed!

hope this helps

Debs
x

angieh
15-11-2008, 12:21 AM
debbiepem's advice above is good. See attached link for further info - you will need to set your area of UK so that you can get best advice for where you live.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/peach-tree-container-grow.asp

There is probably loads more info on the web - just try googling. I do wish you very good luck random!

dandysmom
15-11-2008, 03:27 AM
Definitely move it into a larger pot as soon as you can. I assume it will be a container tree and not put outside in the ground...too late now for it to form new roots before the ground freezes. Here's another link I found that might be helpful...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3349116/How-t

Best wishes for this very special little tree....

random
15-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Thank you all, that's great advice Debbie thank you I will get a bigger pot on Monday and I will have a look at those links now.

Cheers guys, will let you know how she gets on. x