PDA

View Full Version : Taking Honey to the vet soon.

Darky
12-11-2008, 07:06 PM
My poor baby. :(

For a few days now his inner eyelids have been a little swollen, he appeared to just have a bit of a cold. Was behaving fine, good appetite, etc. They then got a lot better.

But yesterday he had a sudden, unexpected (even to him it seemed, he went from meowing for his dinner to looking rather confused) attack of diarrhea. I automatically tried to carry him outside, and he pooped all over the kitchen.

Afterwards he was meowing for his dinner again. :shock: But a little while later his inner eyelids had swollen again, covering about a third of his eyes and slightly red and they're still like that.

Yesterday night he seemed to have a painful bottom, started suddenly rolling around and then growling at everyone and himself. He's been trying to clean it since, but there appears to be nothing wrong with it.

The tips of his ears are a bit wamer than usual, too.

My parents and brother are going to Florida for two weeks on monday (seeing relatives), which'll leave me by myself. So, yeah.

We're going to take Honey to the vet tomorrow hopefully if we can get an emergency appointment. Don't know what we'll do about payment, as chances are my parents won't be able to afford it and I definitely can't right now. Hopefully we'll be able to work something out.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Our main worry is that he'll get an infection in his inner eyelids.

Darky
12-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Looking a bit worse because he's sleepy, but -

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l116/english_years/Honeypoorly01.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l116/english_years/Honeypoorly02.jpg

kado
12-11-2008, 07:34 PM
I sure he is going to be alright. He is realy cute. I not sure what it could be be but please if he seems to be getting worse take him too the vets now. I'm sure the vet will come to some sort of arrangement.

jane x

Mags
12-11-2008, 08:05 PM
I would say his eyes are a definite indication that something is wrong and you should let the vet see him as soon as possible. It looks to me as if the inner eyelid is well over half of his eyes, poor boy.:( Explain that to the receptionist when you phone and I feel sure they will give you an appointment tomorrow.

Please let us know how Honey progresses....

Darky
12-11-2008, 08:34 PM
When he's more alert and awake, it's more like a third over his eyes.

I'm sure that we'll be able to get there tomorrow, the vet in our village is quite brilliant.

angieh
12-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Hope it's nothing too serious Darky. Do let us know how he gets on.

dandysmom
12-11-2008, 11:34 PM
I definitely think he needs to be seen; can you not explain that it's an emergency.? Surely if you see them regularly some payment arrangements an be made...do let us know how he's doing, Darky!

calismum
12-11-2008, 11:37 PM
sounds as if the 3rd eyelid is an indication of other probs. Anal gland perhaps??

Agree he needs to see vet asap. Please let us know how he gets on - he looks very unhappy.

Mags
13-11-2008, 01:18 PM
How is Honey today, Darky? Did you manage to get a vet appointment?

Mags
16-11-2008, 03:24 PM
I hope no news is good news and Honey is better now, Darky :)

Darky
16-11-2008, 10:07 PM
I've been unable to take Honey to the vet for reasons that I do not wish to get into - it's all been very chaotic and nothing I had any control over.

My parents are leaving tomorrow, so it's up to me to take him to the vet by myself by cab.

He has suddenly gotten apparent bowel problems again, and... This is the first time ever that he has not come home for dinner. I even stood out in the middle of the garden, calling him for ages. He always comes when I call him, he never goes far.

I've left the back door open, but there's nothing else I can do but keep checking..

Moli
16-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Think if he is poorly, you should keep him in till the vet has seen him:)

Elaine
16-11-2008, 10:39 PM
I too wouldnt have let him out, he really needs to see a vet asap.

dandysmom
16-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I hope he's back soon, Darky; if possible do keep him in until the vet has seen him. Sorry you've had problems getting him there; do let us know!

Darky
19-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey all! Sorry for the late reply, things have been chaotic by myself, looking after cats, a dog, a budgie, gerbils and tarantulas. :shock:

The vet was brilliant as usual and allowed me to just get the invoice so that we can pay when my parents get back in a couple of weeks.

He couldn't really diagnose anything, he just stated what I already knew and went about treating it. He gave him a shot of anti-biotics and called Honey a brave boy. ;) Then he prescribed some Pro-Kolin for the diarrhea, to be taken three times a day.

Honey lost his appetite for a bit but now has it back - I've kept him indoors (on the odd occassion letting him outide for less than an hour before calling him back in, mainly because I was waiting for some more cat litter). He's been fine with this, he doesn't really show interest in going out when he has a little tray.

He's slowly getting better, so I've much hope. If he's not better in around a week, I'll be taking him back.

kado
19-11-2008, 07:26 PM
I am sorry you had problems with getting there it happens to us all sometimes. I am so glad that Honey is getting better. Give him a big hug from all the gang here please.

jane

Darky
19-11-2008, 07:46 PM
He's currently conked out on my bed, so will do. :D

Mags
19-11-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm pleased to hear you managed to get Honey to the vet and he's slowly improving, Darky. Also pleased that you have such an understanding vet...:D

Gentle cuddles to him....:)

Moli
19-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Good to hear Honey is improving....:)

dandysmom
19-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Good news, Honey's getting better and the vet was understanding about finances!