PDA

View Full Version : Asparthame

Donna
10-11-2008, 12:15 PM
What are your views on this? Are all the reports scaremongering or do you believe that it is bad for you?

There are lots of reports saying it causes brain problems... and dont laugh.. but I have been using it for years... and my memory is terrible... used to be long term memory, but recently my short term memory is gone too....

So what do you think?

angieh
10-11-2008, 01:07 PM
What reports are you referring to Donna?

I don't use asparthame generally but it is probably "hidden" in lots of different products. My MIL uses it as sweetener in her coffee, but she never has more than one cup a day and she has a spoonful of the powdered variety on her breakfast cereal - she suffers from dementia.

IMO it is always best to use "natural" products such as beet or cane sugar, honey or maple syrup but it's difficult I know if you are trying to cut out sugar from your diet.

yola
10-11-2008, 01:14 PM
I've heard health concerns about this product for years - wasn't it shown to be mildly carcinogenic at one point? I have to admit I avoid artificially-sweetened products as much as possible. They might stop you putting on a bit of weight but I strongly suspect the damage they do is much worse!

meep
10-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I've heard that it causes joint problems. My OH used to work in a work-out shop, and the manager used to be a marathon runner at a very high level. He drinks 2 litres of diet irn-bru a day, has done for 10 years, and despite being very fit and eating a good diet otherwise, his joints are becoming crippling sore and he can no longer run on them at all. The doctor said it is probably the asparthame in the irn bru. :?

Donna
10-11-2008, 03:47 PM
What reports are you referring to Donna?

No particular report - but there are lots of books, websites, articles concerning this.... no smoke without fire....thats what I think.

I have three sweeteners in my tea about 4-5 a day, plus drink squash with it in, and diet coke with it in, plus sugar free chewing gum with it in.... LOADS.

Tis a bit worrying...

meep
10-11-2008, 04:20 PM
It is something to be concerned about Donna, but I wouldn't worry too much unless you speak to a professoinal. If you are really worried you could go to your doctor? Or stop taking things with asparthame and start using herbal remedies that are good for increasing your memory! I've always had a poor short-term memory (but excellent long-term) and really need to invest in some brain-power herbal remedies!