PDA

View Full Version : Changed Cat Litter.......how long can she go without peeing?????

Tina
10-11-2008, 02:17 AM
We decided to change the type of litter we used today, and I don't think it's going to work out!

We have used Fullers Earth "clumping" litter for 4 years since we got Miw, but Mouse's illness, when she's not well, causes her to eat the litter (pica). We thought we'd switch to something that's more natural as I don't like the thought of clumping litter getting into her tummy and possibly causing blockages.......so we switched to one of the "natural wood" types.

This was about 12 hours ago. So far, Mouse has used the new litter at least once.....she's very agreeable and will pee on demand in ANY litter if I put her in the box and tap on her back......WEIRD! LOL! Miw however, as far as we can tell.....has not pee'd ALL DAY!!!! We've looked round the house and can't find anywhere else that she may have gone, and she did do the "other" business IN FRONT of the litter box. How long can she go without peeing?????? Should we perservere and just keep taking her to the box and hope she decides to give in and use it? I really don't want the "clumping" clay litter in the house again, but it's all Miw has ever used in 4 years.

What do I do???? Oh, and it's really difficult to tell with this litter when one of them HAS pee'd in it because it doesn't seem to look wet or change colour or anything!

dandysmom
10-11-2008, 02:48 AM
I don't know the answer to how long, unfortunately; but do know they can "out-stubborn" us, if that's a proper word! Is it possible to have two, one that Mousie can't reach but Miw can?

Tina
10-11-2008, 03:06 AM
Am trying to figure out a way to put another litter box somewhere that Miw can get to it, but Mousie can't. We had separate boxes for them before, but Miw only wanted to "go" where Mousie went LOL......now she won't go near it!

Elaine
10-11-2008, 09:15 AM
I understand your concern about Mouse eating the litter but the change is possibly too much too soon for Miw. If at all possible, can you set up another tray with the fullers earth and a handful of the new litter in it and gradually increase the new litter as Miw uses the box? Whilst some cats dont mind change too much others hate it and so the changes should be made gradually and subtly.

Tina
10-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, Miw managed to out-stubborn us all night, for a total of about 20 hours LOL! And then she left a very LARGE puddle in front of the litter box! At least she went on the plastic mat, not the carpet or the beds LOL she's a good cat!!!

Have decided to do a gradual change, as suggested, in the main litter box and have gone back to the fullers earth and a bit of the new stuff. Currently Mouse is doing well and hasn't eaten litter in a couple of weeks so I think it should be safe enough.

Thanks for the advice.....I know better now than to try to out-stubborn Miw......she IS a tortie after all LOL!

Tina

dandysmom
10-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Well, Miw managed to out-stubborn us all night, for a total of about 20 hours LOL! And then she left a very LARGE puddle in front of the litter box! At least she went on the plastic mat, not the carpet or the beds LOL she's a good cat!!!

Have decided to do a gradual change, as suggested, in the main litter box and have gone back to the fullers earth and a bit of the new stuff. Currently Mouse is doing well and hasn't eaten litter in a couple of weeks so I think it should be safe enough.

Thanks for the advice.....I know better now than to try to out-stubborn Miw......she IS a tortie after all LOL!

Tina

:smt005 That's torties for you!

Elaine
10-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Bless her, she must have been fit to burst. Good luck with the change over xxx;)

Kazz
10-11-2008, 10:57 PM
I changed litter once and lost the battle....reverted back to the orginal ....I could not atke the stress and strain caused by worrying aboutthem not using it well Cleo (Oscar never used the tray) she won took less than a day....never changed again....wel did after 23 years but then she had forgotten because she'd not had a tray in that time she went outside.....

Tina
13-11-2008, 01:27 AM
Success!!!! The litter we had first TRIED to change to was a "Pets at Home" brand of wood litter.......I was a bit dubious about the shape of it from the beginning, being sort of pellets, it looked like rabbit food! LOL! So, I can understand why Miw didn't like it.....maybe she had a problem with the "pine-scented" factor as well!

We have now tried a different wood litter (Catsan, I think) and as it's the same general shape and texture as the clay stuff, she seems ok with it. We used that and sprinkled a bit of the clay stuff over the top to try to fool her, and it worked!!!! All's well in the litter box area now and we don't need to worry about Mousie coming to any harm from eating the clumping stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice! :-)

Tina

dandysmom
13-11-2008, 03:09 AM
Ah, good news, everybody's happy now!