PDA

View Full Version : i don't think Elvis will live much longer Help? :( :( :( what should i do?

Elvisisboss
07-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I really don't know what to do about Elvis my cat.

his coat has been the main issue for the past 3odd years allergic to EVERYTHING & now his getting blocked up again :( his pooed inside himself :( :( basically he pushes so much that he creates a hole inside his behind & poos in it :( so he needs operations to get it out, his going in tonight to the vet.

his having his laxative nearly everyday as my dad mixes it in with his food & makes sure he puts water in his food as he refuses to drink anything in the house & we found that the more liquid he has the better he is with his tummy. He will drink cats milk so we give that to him everyday to keep hydration levels up :( so that has worked for 3years and we found a good balance, so this might just be a one off?

& his been fine for ages now and now its started up again.

i had to give him 10ml of laxative & i also gave him 5ml of cats milk as he couldn't eat, and to basically get the taste out of his mouth.

he really hates me, he runs from me and hides under the table as he thinks me=vets/injections/laxative :(

i don't know what to do, my dad is really busy so his alone alot now, although there are 3lodgers there i don't think they give him any attention, (not that its up to them or anything) the last lodger loved him & let him in her room & played with him & bought him toys, so i was happy for him to be there but shes moved out now.

i don't know what to do, shall i try & have him here with me? shall i give it a go? i have bought a cat kennel to go outside & i have room here so i can keep them apart & introduce them slowly???

his so thin as he hasn't eaten can barely walk cos of his bum :(

i feel like its all my fault, but i had a trail run at my other place and he HATED it as he couldn't go outside so i thought it would be best for him to stay where he grew up?

have i let him down? i feel like Ive moved on in a sense as i have another kitten i feel guilty for doing this.

i don't know what to do :(

alexgirl73
07-11-2008, 03:36 PM
EB, I honestly feel for you in this situation. I know you've said in the past about having him come with you, and as things stand you don't have much to lose by bringing him to you. If it doesn't work, then at least you've tried, whereas if you don't you'll always wonder whether it would have led to him staying with you a bit longer. There is of course the question whether he has quality of life anymore, and that is a question only you can answer. If you feel that he does, and you could keep him pain free, then I would say go for it, and give it a try ((hugs))

dinahsmum
07-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I hope your vet can guide you as to the best way forward.

angieh
07-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Oh EB I do feel for you - but the first hurdle IMO is his condition which as you have described it, you and your dad have tried your best to cope with and it can't be easy. You and your vet need to talk about what's best for Elvis. It sounds as if his quality of life is not good at the moment. It's a hard decision but if he is distressed, uncomfortable and in pain - doesn't that make your decision easier?

((((HUGS)))))

calismum
07-11-2008, 06:26 PM
I am so sorry to read about Elvis. If your vet thinks he will be ok after this present crisis is over then it would probably be a good time to bring him to your home as he will be poorly and you can look after him well. He probably won't feel much like going out so a good time to get him used to being in a new place.

If your vet thinks he is not going to improve enough to have a good life quality then you need to consider what is best for him in the long term.

Do hope your vet is able to help and support you in making the right decision.

kado
07-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I realy do feel for you and Elvis. You can only do your best for him and you are doing that. We are all here for you when ever you need support. Take care.

jane

dandysmom
07-11-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, EB. I agree, you need to consult the vet, and then you and your Dad will have to decide what's best for him. I'm inclined to agree that if he does have the op it would be a good time to bring him to your place. (((hugs))) and do let us know how he's doing. We care, and are hear to listen if it helps....

Kazz
07-11-2008, 09:47 PM
What does your vet recommend? I think though quality of life is the key.

Elvisisboss
07-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi everyone

well took him in today & poor thing he could barely move :(

he had a op & i was able to wait for him, they found poo as big as humans poop!!!!!!! in him :(

poor thing, this is the first time in 4 years this has happened so we have been doing something right as it used to happen every month or so from a kitten!

i was crying my eyes out for the entire nearly 2 odd hours i was there!

Vet said no biscuits anymore, i told him that i just spent £60 buying him the best food that i could!

his just to have mashed up tinned or pouches with water & his laxative put in it & obviously his milk.

had a chat about him & he said we are treating him and to see how he goes & he IS coming to live with me next Sunday as Taylor is getting neutered on Friday.

i was going to bring him back with me tonight But he was really out of it and crying and i thought that bringing him here in the unknown whilst he is like that wasn't the best thing to do.

i took him home & stroked him for ages and he didn't stop purring :D i think he was saying 'thanks' as he got up and was walking around like normal..........went straight to his bowl and tried to eat!!!! took it away from him as no food tonight!

he was going mad trying to get me to stroke him! :D so he was feeling alot better already.

got to go back on Sunday for them to check him& i need to go over 2 times a day for pain medi & antibiotics medi

so hopefully *touch wood* he will feel better soon!

just got to work out a way of bringing him here now without upsetting both of them, its going to be hard!

calismum
07-11-2008, 11:10 PM
So pleased to hear that his op seems to have been successful. I hope that he continues to improve.

Keep us posted.

Mags
07-11-2008, 11:16 PM
So pleased his op was successful...

dandysmom
07-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Things are looking good, thanks so much for the update.

angieh
08-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Glad to hear his op went well. Best wishes for his recovery and the move. Hope he and Taylor can get on together.

Elvisisboss
08-11-2008, 02:33 AM

got to go there Early morning to do his tabs, hopefully he will have eaten a little!

i have my feliway i will plug it in again on Monday as i only turned it off a couple of days ago.

going to keep them separate like the kitchen then lounge then the outdoor cattery bit, so ill rotate!!

will have to buy another litter tray next week aswell.

god i hope it all works out, looks like im going to have to put the fostering on hold for a bit, but Elvis comes first, i really thought he was going to die :( its so unfair as every illness he has....i have, so when people say 'ooo takes after his mum!' there not really joking, so i often blames myself for all his problems.

lets just hope it goes well, hopefully Elvis will know he is a kitten & Tay will know its his big 'step brother'!!!

kado
08-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm so glad and relieved that he is feeling a bit better. Give him a big hug from me.

jane

Elvisisboss
08-11-2008, 12:10 PM
aww thanks!

just got back from seeing him, gave him his 2 tabs, he wasn't happy! and his pain stuff, he has eaten as well, infact he was sooo hungry that he was pawing at his biscuit bag :( and jumping on it and was pulling it along by the handle!! :lol: but he cant have them!

his half Siamese but typical Siamese his meow/talking is sooo loud it does drive you crazy! he was following my dad around all night till 3am meowing!!! dad was not impressed :lol: !

just got lots of scabs off of him & he purred think he was saying thanks! his has some food & milk, no lax today will have to start again tom, see what the vet says. His bum is still swollen but his running around now like a kitten :D

he had a collar on was so funny watching him trying to get through the chairs in the kitchen, bless him! Shouldn't laugh really, but he was sooo drugged up i think he thought he was flying about!!

cant wait to get him here! :D

PoshPuss
08-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Good luck with everything your doing, sound like you have things sorted. Hope Elvis recovers well and he bounces back to good health soon :D

truthisouthere
08-11-2008, 12:36 PM
So glad top hear that Elvis' op went ok. Try him on warm turkey broth, mine is getting over a bottom wound and she loves it. Great for getting that all essential daily fluid intake inside him too. The recipe: Cook a turkey drumstick in oven til done, when cool (if your puss can bear to wait that long without screaming the place down:lol: ) tear apart and cut into small morsels, put excess in freezer, keep small handful of morsels in a saucepan with half a cup of water and bring to the boil. Pour some over third to half a Tesco 'Just Nature Turkey and Rice' (square foil, wet food) chunked up and serve to your master! Add more water to it and it will do for another few meals. Mine also has raw chicken at mo as well as her Purina Delicate Sensitive dried, but make sure it's always fresh. Hope Elvis continues to 'bounce back'! ;)

Elvisisboss
08-11-2008, 10:55 PM
thanks alot everyone!! & i will try that recipe for him! :D :D

his currently driving my dad mad following him round the house meowing & talking!! :lol: dad is not impressed!

at least we know he is feeling better! he has the vets tom to check him over, hopefully it will all go OK!

Elvisisboss
09-11-2008, 04:07 PM
just to update, went to the vets today & his totally fine :D :D

has to up his lax for a bit & his not allowed to eat biscuits ever again (there goes £60 odd i just spent!!)

gave him his tabs & pain medi, he his a tablet in his mouth! little sod!

gave him some nice food as a treat & he seemed fine!
just hope next week goes ok! his coming on sunday!

dandysmom
09-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Glad to hear he's doing so well! Next Sunday will be here before you know it.....

calismum
09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
That's great EIB - don't they have an uncanny ability to worry us sick then turn round and say 'what were you fussing about!'

Hope next w/e goes well. You should bring one of his blankets home and get Taylor used to the scent.

Kay
09-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Glad things are going well. Good luck with the introductions.

One of the kittens I bred has the same problems with his poo's but he has too be fed on biscuits as they tried the wet diet as said by the vet and it just made matters worse. He is fed on Royal Canin Sensible and of cours daily laxatives and, fingers crossed, hasn't had any issues for about 18 months. Just take care with the wet food.

Elvisisboss
10-11-2008, 01:29 AM
That's great EIB - don't they have an uncanny ability to worry us sick then turn round and say 'what were you fussing about!'

Hope next w/e goes well. You should bring one of his blankets home and get Taylor used to the scent.

Thanks for the advice! :D
i have been letting Taylor smell my top as it is Full of Elvis!! :lol: ! first of all he kept smelling & looking at me to make sure it was me!! :o i will be doing that though ill take a piece for Elvis & a bit for Tay! :D

Glad things are going well. Good luck with the introductions.

One of the kittens I bred has the same problems with his poo's but he has too be fed on biscuits as they tried the wet diet as said by the vet and it just made matters worse. He is fed on Royal Canin Sensible and of course daily laxatives and, fingers crossed, hasn't had any issues for about 18 months. Just take care with the wet food.

ooo! well his been like this for 11years!! nearly 12!!!

his been fine for the past 4years So i think it was a 'one off' as we seemed to have got the balance right between food/lax /water/milk etc

we normally soak his biccis but sometimes do not.

he LOVES his biccis though so it will be sad for him, doesn't matter what biccis they are he really loves them :(
his very fussy with wet food he has phases, his just gone off of Whiska & felix, so his got some ID (from the vet £1 EACH!!) food & hilife & alpaws & gormet & classic!!!! he LOVES classic & the very expensive ones!!! :lol: :shock: little sod!

i will be getting him some Royal Cain & Hills from online aswell!

ill see how he goes, his had 2ml of lax today plus he had his milk & wet food & tabs & pain medi!!

i mean i thought maybe leaving biccis out then re introducing them after 3 months, but then if he gets blocked up again? is it really worth it!?

OH if anyone is intrested im selling the food that he cant eat, all brand new, ive posted about it in the 'for sale' sectio on here :)