PDA

View Full Version : "Gurgling" tummy!

angieh
06-11-2008, 09:02 PM
My own does quite a lot of this, and I'm used to it, but yesterday Merlin's tummy sounded quite gurgly for a short while and he did have a bit of a belch. I've never heard either noise from him before. He also vomited a small amount of bubbly white liquid twice. It may be because he is not eating enough to keep his stomach acid in check.

Does anyone have any information or heard this before with their own cats?

He is due to go to the vet for a checkup some time next week and perhaps another Vit B injection.

Natalie
06-11-2008, 09:18 PM
It does sound as though it could be caused by an excess of stomach acid. Willow did this when sh was eaten very little. Has Merlin had a course of steroids recently to boost his appetite? Maybe get him to see the vet sooner.

Big hugs and chin rubs from Welsh Merlin x

calismum
06-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Sorry angieh - just really posting to say I hope it is just because he is hungry and/or has an empty tummy. A previous cat I had did this when she was hungry (could, I suppose have been related to acid tummy)

Do hope that he feels better. If he doesn't eat that much then he is bound to have an upset tum.

chin bumps from Alfie and Kinsi for Merlin
(hugs) for you

dandysmom
06-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Found this article, it's basically about people, but suppose it applies to all non -ruminant mammals....don't you love that word "borborygmus"?!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borborygmus

Leia sends purrs ......

angieh
06-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Borborygmus! :-D :-D :-D love it - I must tell Merlin.

dinahsmum
07-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Poor gurgly Merlin.

Do you think he might like a little bit of baby rice or porridge, made up with warm milk? Or a Farleys rusk with warm milk? It would slip down easily if he could be persuaded to fancy it and would be a little bit of 'ballast' in his tum.

Or maybe he would lap 'beef tea' - just scrape a bit of raw meat, add a very little warm/hot water to the scrapings, leave for 10 minutes, wring out the bits and offer him the 'broth'.

angieh
07-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks for your posts! Merlin was a bit gurgly this morning too, but he has eaten reasonably well so far today.

I went out today and when I came home I was greeted by a lovely loving purry pusscat! Bright as a button.

He does have a checkup appointment at the vet on Monday afternoon. He'll probably get another vitamin injection and I ask the vet about his borborygmus!

calismum
07-11-2008, 06:40 PM
hope he gets on well on monday