PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis in dogs.

Natalie
06-11-2008, 09:42 AM
My lab/collie cross Milo is approx 8.5 years old and I'm now thinking that maybe I should be thinking about getting him some supplements to prevent arthritis. Labs are prone to their back legs going.

Can anyone suggest anything I can maybe add to his diet? Is cod liver oil capsules used in dogs?

PoshPuss
06-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Nat, my old sheepdog is on Synoquin, which is a chondritin and glucosamine additive. Also on Metacam and tramadol for pain relief, but Bron's arthritis is pretty severe. I don't know if cod liver oil is any good, but it may cause loose bowel motion :? has he been checked out by the vet for his hip problem?

Natalie
06-11-2008, 09:58 AM
He doesn't have any problems as yet but I'm thinking the early bird catches the worm so to speak.

May have a chat with the vet then.

Thanks hun x

dinahsmum
06-11-2008, 10:48 AM
There are lots of glucosamine/chondroitin supplements for dogs, which apparently work as well on canines as they do for humans.
Have a look at these (http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&zenid=927085618c2264bdc4359c6375e575e0) from VetUK, which is a very good company.
Vets typically give Metacam, but my hound can't tolerate the oral variety - makes her very sick

Fran
06-11-2008, 03:15 PM
We use Synoquin for our horse who has arthritic problems and I know that they do a version for dogs too but prior to administering anything, I would consult with your vet first.

Annestaff
06-11-2008, 03:24 PM
I've found Synflex is very good. I started using it when Harvey snapped his cruciate ligament a few years ago and now give it to all of them, can certainly see the differnce since my oldest dog started using it :D

calismum
06-11-2008, 07:58 PM
My old dog had a bioflow collar from about 9 yrs old - found it really did help.

Natalie
06-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks ladies for all your suggestions. Will definately discuss it with the vet in the next couple of days. I have noticed he is slowing down a little. He is another rescue so precise age is impossible.

Tink
06-11-2008, 10:04 PM
glucosamine is a good supp if it's too early for the med route. :-)

dandysmom
06-11-2008, 10:29 PM
I know nothing about dogs, but the glucosamine supplements are recommended for cats...and they work wonders in people also! My arthritis is almost completely controlled with it; very rarely have a flare-up and when I do, just up the daily dosage and it's OK.

angieh
06-11-2008, 11:00 PM
I too take glucosamine. I do a lot of typing and was getting pains in the joints of my fingers, no swelling, just pains. So I started taking glucosamine and the pains went. I notice the pain comes back if I run out of pills though!

Fran
06-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Synoquin is a glucosamine supplement with chondroitin added which is supposed to better than just taking glucosamine alone :)

dandysmom
06-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Yes, my supplement has chondroitin also, just used the short form. The stuff is a miracle drug, IMO!

Natalie
17-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Took Milo to the vets tonight and he has been diagnosed with Arthritis. After me wanting to commence him on something as a prevention he infact already has it. I noticed him limping on one leg over the weekend. The vet thinks he is more like 10-11 years old and not 8.5 like I was led to believe from the animal rescue centre when I got him 7 years ago. So that means even less time with him than i thought :cry: :cry: :cry:

He is having weekly injections for a month and then a review to see if improved and then probable supplements.

No more long walks for him :( :( :(