PDA

View Full Version : which litter?

Natalie
04-11-2008, 07:05 PM
What type/brand of cat litter do you use?

Belle and Willow didnt/dont use one so I have bought several and not been happy with any really.

Hate the wood pellets type as the smell would fill the house and have tried a couple of the gravel ones by tesco/asda and still not happy. The asda one left chalky marks on his paws which then went all across the house and the tesco one which is the best clumps when wet into a horrible mess and difficult to scoop out and clean.

Any tips folks?

Moli
04-11-2008, 07:07 PM
I use Catsan, always have, its much cleaner than the other gravel litters and last longer, no chalky marks on the floor either...

yola
04-11-2008, 07:08 PM
For my entire cat-owning life (11 1/2 years), I have used petex clumping clay-based litter. The cats like it, it doesn't get trailed all over the house (only the odd little bit around where they jump out of the litter), it clumps beautifully so all you need to do is scoop out the mess without having to completely change the litter wash the trays, too often.

Fran
04-11-2008, 07:21 PM
I use Yesterday's News, recycled newspaper pelleted litter. Have used many different ones over the years but love this the best as it doesn't 'track' like a lot of other litters, not dusty and the wet goes to the bottom leaving the surface dry on the kitty feet ;)

Tanya
04-11-2008, 08:58 PM
I use Catsan. ;)

Tried a few other brands but they don't seem to contain the odour as well as Catsan does.

Kazz
04-11-2008, 09:39 PM
I used catsan of Cleo but also I really like the Thomas.......but you can't get it everywhere, but on the whole I like catsan and will be geting that for the kits when this bag runs out.

dandysmom
04-11-2008, 10:44 PM
I can't comment on UK brands, but just FYI, I've always used the Safeway brand clay litter, non-scented and non clumping. I dislike the scented, the cats didn't llke the clumping. I've never had a tracking problem with it.

calismum
05-11-2008, 12:36 AM
I have used a variety over the years. Have recently started to use the silicate ones and find it really good.

Natalie
05-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Thanks girls. I shall head off today and browse through a selection of your recommendations. X

meep
05-11-2008, 10:28 AM
I use Tesco's own. It's brilliant. Far better than other supermarket own brands, which are chalky, dusty with bigger pellets etc.

I use the anti-bacterial one as it's the only one our local shop stocks, but if you can find just the standard cat litter, it's all whit erather than specked with blue which the anti-bacterial one is, it's really, really light-weight, absorbs amazingly, isn't chalky, and my cats liked it fine!

dinahsmum
05-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Worlds Best, made from corn and totally flushable. Very expensive to buy initially but it lasts for ages. Very little tracking, no dust, pee forms little solid pee-patties, which you scoop and flush, leaving the rest untouched and unstinky

Kazz
05-11-2008, 10:45 AM
I think all this thread goes to prove is everyone thinks what they use is the best and it is for them and thier cats.....

dinahsmum
05-11-2008, 10:49 AM
I think all this thread goes to prove is everyone thinks what they use is the best and it is for them and thier cats.....
Yes.
There's always the alternative of teaching your cats to use the toilet - but I don't think that would suit your household Matron.

Elvisisboss
05-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I use Tesco's own. It's brilliant. Far better than other supermarket own brands, which are chalky, dusty with bigger pellets etc.

I use the anti-bacterial one as it's the only one our local shop stocks, but if you can find just the standard cat litter, it's all whit erather than specked with blue which the anti-bacterial one is, it's really, really light-weight, absorbs amazingly, isn't chalky, and my cats liked it fine!

same here! :D

first one I bought was a sainsburys one, he liked that, then I thought id better but the 'good' ones and he turned his nose up!! didn't like it!

I always get my shopping from tesco, I really couldn't see the point of spending more for my cat to poop in!! :?

So I got tesco value & then tesco premium as the value one isn't online anymore, its like £1.80 i think and Taylor Loves it!! he gets so excited when i do his litter box as he loves to dig!! :-D

really cant see the difference between that & more expensive brands to be honest!

(i have taken pics of him yesterday excited about his litter! ill put on up in a min)

Heres Tay getting all excited, over his litter!! :-D i have to shut the lid with him still in it so he can dig haha! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/grungeprincess666/100_7572.jpg

dandysmom
05-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I think it comes down to a balance between what the cats prefer if the favorite is one we can live with, price-wise, odor-wise and tracking-wise.

Natalie
05-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Eileen thats so right.

I have been using Tesco own brand anti bacterial with the blue bits in and it's great apart from Merlin gets it everywhere!!!

I have been out today and have bought Catsan just to compare and contrast :cool:

Moli
05-11-2008, 08:46 PM
I was using wood pellets the CP gave me for the kittens, but they did not like it.so changed them to Catsan, and have had no problems...

Natalie
05-11-2008, 08:49 PM
I was using wood pellets the CP gave me for the kittens, but they did not like it.so changed them to Catsan, and have had no problems...

I was given wood pellets by the breeder when I got koko. The smell put me right off as it lingered around the house.

Moli
05-11-2008, 08:53 PM
I was given wood pellets by the breeder when I got koko. The smell put me right off as it lingered around the house.

These kits tried to eat it!:roll:

dandysmom
05-11-2008, 10:50 PM
I tried the wood pellets once, and the two I had then absolutely hated it! Misty, who was the most ladylike neat cat, actually defecated outside of the box....needless to say, I threw it out.