PDA

View Full Version : New Government 'Code Of Practice' for pet owners...

Fran
04-11-2008, 06:08 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7708411.stm

yola
04-11-2008, 06:54 PM
I agree with a lot of the comments posted at the end of this article; that in essence this document is a good idea as an outline framework but with some general worrying tendencies.

My two concerns are that (a) the people who really need to learn about animal care and welfare and are in danger of animal abuse will not or can not read this and (b) there is a risk of this being taken as 'the letter of the law' with people who own slightly overweight animals or who maybe forget to put food down for their pet on one single occassion being singled out and persecuted/prosecuted.

Fran
04-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Hmmmm, I have mixed feelings about it all tbh although we did know it was on the Government's agenda and would be coming at some point.

I have several 'issues' with it but the main ones being all those people with overweight cats panicking and suddenly putting their cats on a starvation diet to get the weight down so as to avoid 'prosecution' This is a big risk to a cat's health, hepatic lipidosis being the major concern. Diets have to be undertaken carefully and under strict management of someone who knows what they are doing like a vet or nutritionalist.
One litter tray per cat plus one extra is the rule of thumb but for a lot of people, myself included, unrealistic as my cats are happy with current arrangements otherwise we would be seeing inappropriate toileting which we do not.
Some of the issues in the article are also ambigious. Hmmmmm, watch this space!

dinahsmum
05-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Sadly, and cynically, I think this will go the same way as the previous Act or welfare charter, which was supposed to protect animals and allow them to be removed from potentially dangerous situations. Yet we still have a lack of will to interfere from the authorities, and situations where horses are left to starve despite the public reporting the situation again and again.

Rosie
05-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Who on earth is going to Police it?

Elvisisboss
05-11-2008, 02:47 PM
god why dont they get out of our lives?!

i mean really, i didn't read it all But who doesn't know that a pet needs a toilet/food/games?!

if they dont know that Simple info (which my 2 1/2 yr old nephew does) then they shouldn't own!!!

whos going to keep a eye on everyone?!

who gets paid to come up with this stuff?

like this one: 'scientists have said that people who need to lose weight need more exercise'

I MEAN REALLY?!!!!!!!!!! SHOCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH!

angieh
05-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Just starting to read this article and the first thing that caught my attention was the caption under the cat photo

"Cats are solitary creatures but need entertainment, the government says"

Anyone remember the Monty Python "Confuse the cat" sketch?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Je1CEPkUM

Sorry, showing my age but I still find that funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited to say: From some of the comments at the bottom of the article, it would seem that other sensible people are taking it with the extremely large pinch of salt it deserves.

Trouble is, as others have said, those who need this sort of information will never read it for one reason or another.

Elvisisboss
05-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Just starting to read this article and the first thing that caught my attention was the caption under the cat photo

"Cats are solitary creatures but need entertainment, the government says"

Anyone remember the Monty Python "Confuse the cat" sketch?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Je1CEPkUM

Sorry, showing my age but I still find that funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited to say: From some of the comments at the bottom of the article, it would seem that other sensible people are taking it with the extremely large pinch of salt it deserves.

Trouble is, as others have said, those who need this sort of information will never read it for one reason or another.

just watched it, lol!