PDA

View Full Version : The Recovery Position

Erin
02-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I need a little help with a piece of work for my LDQ that Im doing for work.
We had a sheet with the recovery position written out on it with words missing that we had to fill in.
Anyway I filled it out but got 3 wrong,I spoke with Elaine's Graham the other night and thought I had got them all,but Im still struggeling with 1.
Ill type it out and see what you think it is,thnks in advance for yourt help,its really annoying me :roll: :lol:

1) Kneel beside the casualty
2) Remove sharp objects from clothing
3) Open the casualty's airway by tilting their head and lifting their CHIN
4) Straighten the casualty's LEGS
5) Bend the ELBOW of the arm nearest to you so that the casualty's arm is at a right angle.
6) Bend the casualty's far leg,keeping their FOOTon the floor so that the KNEE is bent upwards.
7) Place the casualty's far arm accross their CHEST, with the back of their hand against their cheek
8 ) Gently pull the casualty's far KNEE and .......... rolling them towards you untill they are lying on their side
9) Tilt the casualty's HEAD to ensure airway is open
10) Adjust upper leg so that the KNEE and HIP are at right angles,to support the casualty
11) Check airway and breathing.

So im stuck on the one on question 8,its annoying me because you pull the casualty's knee over with your one hand,but your other hand is still holding the casualty's hand against their cheek so your not pulling anything with it :? I thought that maybe it was thigh but thigh isnt in the list of words I can use :roll:

these are the choice of words we can use -

Arm,Cheek,Head,Hip,Chest,Knee,Chin,Leg,Elbow,Legs, Foot,Palm,Hand and shoulder

pinklizzy
02-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Shoulder? Possibly? I know you also keep a hand on their hand which is against their cheek while rolling them over but it doesn't seem to fit in with the 'gently pull' at the beginning of the sentence. Sorry, prob not much help!

Erin
02-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Its not shoulder,thats what I put for one of my original answers and it was wrong :?

pinklizzy
02-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Oh! Well I'm no help at all! :shock: :? Sorry!

Erin
02-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Oh! Well I'm no help at all! :shock: :? Sorry!

:lol: dont be sorry,i spent 6 hours on this work book and first aid training and still cant get it :roll: :lol:

dandysmom
02-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Sorry, Erin; no idea. I did take CPR, but that's completely different ....

angieh
02-11-2008, 05:45 PM
If it's not shoulder, then perhaps it's ARM?

Erin
02-11-2008, 05:48 PM
If it's not shoulder, then perhaps it's ARM?

hmmmm maybe,but you already have the arm over because you are holding the casualty's hand by their cheek,its so confusing,I think it has been worded very badly.
Do you think it could be HIP again because when you pull the knee over the hipp would automatically move aswell wouldnt it? :?

angieh
02-11-2008, 05:53 PM
But if you pulled them over by their knee and hip, wouldn't their upper body sort of flop over and perhaps they would bang their heads? I would have said your first answer of knee and shoulder was right, but if shoulder is wrong - that's why I thought arm which is already positioned so that it is not hurt by the rolling over on to their side.

You need somebody to practice on! It's really hard to imagine!!

Erin
02-11-2008, 05:56 PM
But you use your one hand to support the casualty's hand against their cheek,that only leaves 1 hand left to pull anything which is Knee (which was correct answer),your not actually pulling the casualty's hand,your just supporting it so that it stays against their cheek :?

:lol: :lol: I have been watching videos of people being put into the recovery position all day and got no answer from it,all they are mentioning is pulling the knee :roll: this is why I think it has been worded badly.

Kazz
02-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Well this is from memory however when you roll them you pull the knee towards you keeping the casualtys hand presed against their cheek - then position the knee at a right angle...... then make sure the airways remains open by tilting the head back, then check for breath by feeling and listening for breath.

Kazz
02-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Maybe its the way the question is worded...............

Erin
02-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Maybe its the way the question is worded...............

I think so I think its been worded badly,I think the answer is hip again,because the hip moves over as you pull the knee.
Angie is correct about the upper body sort of flopping forward and the possible risk of the caualty banging their head,but the head is being supported by the hand of the person giving first aid as their hand is supporting the causualty's hand against their cheek, does any of that make anysense or have I just confused matters futher :roll: :lol:

Natalie
02-11-2008, 06:41 PM
I would have said head?

But then again I have been a nurse for 12 years and I bet you I got that wrong!!!

Erin
02-11-2008, 06:45 PM
I would have said head?

But then again I have been a nurse for 12 years and I bet you I got that wrong!!!

But you dont actually pull the head do you? Your one hand is pulling the knee over and your other hand is holding the casualty's hand to their cheek

Natalie
02-11-2008, 07:04 PM
It depends where your taught. There is no set practice for this postion and its based upon the person training you. Not very helpful to you though is it.

I was taught that you don't put your hand on the persons cheek anymore.

Its like CPR, it all bl**dy changes

Erin
02-11-2008, 07:10 PM
It depends where your taught. There is no set practice for this postion and its based upon the person training you. Not very helpful to you though is it.

I was taught that you don't put your hand on the persons cheek anymore.

Its like CPR, it all bl**dy changes

Yes,it changes all the time!!! The CPR has changed recently aswell hasnt it. But I have always been taught to put the casualty's hand under their cheek,I had my update 2 months ago,but its not helping me with this :lol: I think they ned to reword it :roll:

Mags
02-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Is this any help Erin?

http://www.ast-services.co.uk/recovery-position.html

Erin
02-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Is this any help Erin?

http://www.ast-services.co.uk/recovery-position.html

Thanks Mags,I think it just confirms my thought that the other missing word is hip :D