PDA

View Full Version : "Everyday" things that are safe to use for cats

angieh
31-10-2008, 05:26 PM
This really follows on from Yola's comments about using E45 on poor Fifi's bottom. ;)

Can anyone say what normal things that you may have about the house are either safe to use on cats or MUST NOT be used on cats? (I am not thinking about foodstuffs here.)

dinahsmum
31-10-2008, 05:36 PM
That's a really good question angie.
I will log off and contemplate, but hope that others will come up with brilliant ideas

farthing
31-10-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't think you should use anything like savalon, or antiseptics that turn water white when you add them, they contain phenols that are poisonous to cats.

Moli
31-10-2008, 06:39 PM
I use things like baby wipes....

cats' staff
31-10-2008, 08:02 PM
I use cooled, boiled water with a small amount of salt dissolved in it for minor cuts/scratches or gummy eyes. If the water is cooled to cat body temperature they tolerate it quite well and it seems to work- if it doesn't that means it's a trip to the vet!

dandysmom
31-10-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm certain everyone here knows, but just a reminder: never ever give aspirin to a cat, it can kill them!!!

farthing
31-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Not something you would use on your cats, but please be very aware at this time of year that antifreeze is posionous to all animals (I think). Our vets had 3 cats die last year due to antifreeze posioning so please be careful.

angieh
31-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Joe Inglis, the vet says on his website http://www.petskitchen.co.uk/joe-and-jills/cat-clinic.asp

"Antiseptic. Clean the wound with a diluted antiseptic solution such as TCP or Dettol, and then head down to the surgery to see your vet"

I would never have thought that TCP or Dettol would be safe to use for cats, even diluted. Still, Joe Inglis is a vet and should know.

pinklizzy
31-10-2008, 09:13 PM
TCP and Dettol both contain phenol, I can't believe he's advising that! Cooled, boiled water is the best thing to use at home, we use diluted povidone iodine for wound cleaning.

angieh
31-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Have a look at his website PL - I must admit I was shocked, but then I thought - he's a professional.

pinklizzy
31-10-2008, 09:18 PM
I've had a look Angie, we were always taught never to use antiseptics like that-not something I'd do, or recommend.

Mags
31-10-2008, 11:36 PM
My previous cat Sam used to get into many fights and his bites often turned into abcesses. I was told by my vet at the time to bathe the abcesses in very diluted TCP :? It did the trick and saved me taking him to the vet for ABs so often.......this was about 15+ years ago......

truthisouthere
04-11-2008, 03:45 PM
I have always been told and have used over the years cooled, boiled water with a little natural sea salt. My cat currently has an anal gland prob and this seems to help stop infection. I have heard that manuka honey (10+) applied as a poultice is good for wound healing but have never tried it out. If anyone has I'd love to hear.

smudgley
04-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Never use medication on any animal which has been prescribed for another animal.

Don't use flea control for dogs on cats unless it states safe to do so as permethrin is used in some flea controls and is poisonous to cats.

Take care with Antifreeze.

Be careful with Lillys.

Cats shouldn't be fed milk (although often people do with no problems, but they do often have trouble digesting it / breaking down the fat in it)

As already mentioned phenol in discinfectant (the white stuff)

SAFE TO USE -

Hibiscrub - every house should have some ;)

truthisouthere
06-11-2008, 01:00 PM
I have Hibiscrub, used it on rescue bird's wounds in the past, but does it have as good cleansing properties as salt water for healing a wound, only the salt water seems to be taking ages to heal? Not only that but even very dilute, the salt water must sting?

calismum
06-11-2008, 08:18 PM
I use hibiscrub a lot. Wouldn't be without.

I always have loads of solution left from my contacts and I tend to use that for bathing cuts etc.