PDA

View Full Version : Book Club

Pages : [1] 2

dandysmom
30-10-2008, 10:19 PM
This will be the new section for posts about the club. Don't use the Forum thread any more. Look forward to starting on Saturday...my copy hasn't come yet, but as I said before, I'm a fast reader!

meep
03-11-2008, 09:10 PM
I got my copy at the weekend! Have read about 1/3 of it. Looking forward to chatting it over with everyone once we're all done :)

angieh
03-11-2008, 09:12 PM
My copy has arrived - I'm on page 94 atm.

dandysmom
03-11-2008, 09:21 PM
My post's not here yet. always late on Mondays; hope mine will be in it!

meep
03-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Hopefully it'll show up today Eileen! We have given ourselves two weeks and it's a relatively quick read, and we can push the date a bit till everyone's finished as there are so few of us :)

I'm away to my bed now to read it! (I've also got Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurer which I found on my bookshelf at my dad's this weekend. I'll be reading it again, but if everyone's interested, we could also add it to the list?)

dandysmom
03-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Hopefully it'll show up today Eileen! We have given ourselves two weeks and it's a relatively quick read, and we can push the date a bit till everyone's finished as there are so few of us :)

I'm away to my bed now to read it! (I've also got Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurer which I found on my bookshelf at my dad's this weekend. I'll be reading it again, but if everyone's interested, we could also add it to the list?)

It didn't. :( Fortunately I'm a quick reader, no prob. I love Rebecca, much better than the movie, IMO. Right now I'm reading the new Kate Sedley, Green Man. That's a series of mystery novels set in medieval England based on the character of Roger the Chapman. Nice light reads, and you do learn about 15th century England ....

calismum
03-11-2008, 11:50 PM
I started 'notes' today. Am enjoying it so far. Hope yours arrives soon DM.

dandysmom
05-11-2008, 10:36 PM
At last!! Finally came yesterday; and the reason it took so long was that it came from Gloucester, England!! Quite mysterious: I'd ordered it from one of the Amazon booksellers; picked one in Delaware, as the prices were all within a few cents of one another, and since Delaware is so close I assumed it would come quickly. I suppose they must have some sort of agreement with the English bookstore to ship something if it;s not in stock here??? Anyhow, it's here and I'm on page 91 now.

meep
06-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Hurrah glad to hear it finally arrive Eileen! I've almost finished, give it another day or two, and am looking forward to discussing it. A few comments to make already, must bite my tongue ;)

Is everyone still ok to go with Friday 14th to begin discussing it? If anyone hasn't got the copy yet or gets held up and doesn't finish it by then, we can hold off, just thought I'd check :)

dinahsmum
06-11-2008, 11:05 AM
That's fine by me; I've finished.
I too would love to comment/question now ..... but won't.

angieh
06-11-2008, 01:22 PM
... hopefully should be done by 14th meep!

meep
06-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Great :) If we all finish earlier we can discuss it earlier too. Just don't want anyone to feel as if they must rush through it and not enjoy it! I read at a rate of knots, and sometimes have to purposely read slower to enjoy the book. That's what studying for finals in English Lit. does to you :roll:

dinahsmum
06-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Another way you are like my daughter meep. I accuse her of inhaling them, she just seems to turn the pages over and over - I couldn't read at that rate. And she ends up knowing the content better than me :roll:

dandysmom
06-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Great :) If we all finish earlier we can discuss it earlier too. Just don't want anyone to feel as if they must rush through it and not enjoy it! I read at a rate of knots, and sometimes have to purposely read slower to enjoy the book. That's what studying for finals in English Lit. does to you :roll:

:-D Amen, Meep! On page 185 now, about 1/2 thru.

calismum
06-11-2008, 07:56 PM
I'll be fine for 14th - on p145 (ish).

Made myself read this slowly, I can read a paperback in a day if I am enjoyingf it.

meep
07-11-2008, 11:11 AM
There are other books which take me forever to read and I love to draw them out for as long as possible as I never want them to end! Took about a month to read Anna Karenina. I purposely only read a few chapters each day. It is also really lengthy, and has a more intense writing style. I would read it again in a flash! (Even though I only finished it two months ago :roll:) I fell in love with so many characters in the book *sigh*

angieh
12-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Update - I'm about half way through. I'll try and get a wiggly on! Sort of got "stuck" - find that sometimes with books, not sure why.

meep
13-11-2008, 05:34 PM
No worries Angie! :) I've finished it, but I know what you mean about getting 'stuck'. To be honest, it wasn't the sort of book I looked forward to reading every night, or wanted to set aside time to read...

But anyway, we can discuss more on it when the date comes! ;)

calismum
13-11-2008, 08:34 PM
I've finished it. Just let us know when everyone has completed it.

angieh
13-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Could I plead for a couple of extra days ..... PLEASE?

calismum
13-11-2008, 08:49 PM
don't think that would be a problem. I haven't heard DM say she's finished either.

dandysmom
13-11-2008, 09:03 PM
It's OK with me, Angie; know you've been very busy with the redecorating.

I've been finished for a few days; sorry forgot to mention it.

angieh
16-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I've just finished the book this afternoon!

calismum
16-11-2008, 10:40 PM
So - who else is still to finish?

angieh
16-11-2008, 10:55 PM
I think I was the last person to finish CM - am I missing anyone else out?

dinahsmum
17-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Don't know if mj has had the chance to read it or if she's not bothering this time, what with the move etc?
Unless she squeaks stop, maybe we ought to start from this pm?
How will we start? Just a general 'First impressions' discussion? Structured questions?

mj69
17-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Morning all, sorry im still ploughing through it, just cant seem to get into it at all, whether its with moving and i cant seem to get my brain to switch off.. im not usually so slow sorry a couple of days should do it but if you want to start without me thats fine...

dinahsmum
17-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't mind waiting.
I finished a couple of weeks ago, I think, so I'll need to do some flip-reading anyway to refresh my thoughts, whether we start today or later
Will you shout when you've finished?

meep
18-11-2008, 01:48 PM
I've started a discussion on the book here :):

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?p=520814#post520814

MJ, I'm so sorry, I started the discussion before checking this thread (very foolish on my part) and didn't realise you hadn't finished. We can all wait to continue the discussion till you have finished. But don't click on the link and read my post as it gives away many spoilers!!

dinahsmum
20-11-2008, 05:57 PM
I heard a review of this book A Mercy (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercy-Toni-Morrison/dp/0099502542/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227199959&sr=1-2) this afternoon. It sounds wonderful (she is a Nobel laureate, after all). Slim, but basically setting out the start of the US.
Maybe we could keep it in mind for a 2009 read?
In fact - maybe we should use this, general, thread to jot down suggestions for the future?

calismum
20-11-2008, 10:07 PM
I heard a review of this book A Mercy (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercy-Toni-Morrison/dp/0099502542/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227199959&sr=1-2) this afternoon. It sounds wonderful (she is a Nobel laureate, after all). Slim, but basically setting out the start of the US.
Maybe we could keep it in mind for a 2009 read?
In fact - maybe we should use this, general, thread to jot down suggestions for the future?

Good idea.

dandysmom
20-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Good idea, I second that. Will look up A Mercy ....

meep
21-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Yep, good idea to make suggestions here :) I'll look up A Mercy too. Here's the list of 'classics' I suggested in the other thread (poll):

- Virginia Woolf: "To the Lighthouse" "Mrs. Dalloway"
- Edith Wharton: "The Age of Innocence"
- Aldous Huxley: "Brave New World"
- George Orwell: "1984"
- Toni Morrison: "Beloved"
- Jane Austen: "Emma" "Pride and Prejudice"
- Charlotte Bronte: "Jane Eyre
- Emily Bronte: "Wuthering Heights"

Also to add to that:

- Willa Cather: "O! Pioneers"

They are 'classics' and am not suggesting we read them all in a row, but think it might be nice to mix up some modern lit. with some classic lit?

angieh
21-11-2008, 04:02 PM
I think that's a good idea meep - will give us something to compare the more modern novel to. I might find some of those a bit hard going though, and maybe remind me a bit too much of school!

Can I put in a vote for

Exit Music - Ian Rankin
The Ghost - Robert Harris

and does anyone fancy short stories?

dandysmom
21-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Good ideas, Meep. I've read all on your list except the Wolff and Wharton; they all are excellent and bear re reading.

May I add two Victorian favorites:

Collins Woman in White
Stoker .... Dracula

angieh
21-11-2008, 06:22 PM
I loved The Woman in White - I wonder if I still have a copy?

meep
21-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Have never read Woman in White, but would love to read it if it's a Victorian classic! Also adore Dracula, one of my favourite 'childhood' (teenage years) books.

A little off the wall, but Pullman's "Dark Materials" triology, whilst essentially a 'teenage-fiction' trilogy, was an excellent read. The move, The Golden Compass, did it no justice whatsoever. Another one to add to the polls?

calismum
21-11-2008, 08:51 PM
I'd also like to add

Dickens - Nicholas Nickleby
Dickens - Barnaby Rudge
John Buchan - The Watcher by the Threshold and other Stories
Compton McKenzie - Rockets Galore
Rudyard Kipling - Something of Myself
Diana Gabaldon - Cross Stitch

dandysmom
21-11-2008, 08:56 PM
I loved the Pullman trilogy!

Buchan The Thirty Nine Steps

angieh
21-11-2008, 09:01 PM
atm I am reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold which was a Catsey recommendation (sorry, can't remember who recommended it). I am enjoying it.

Next (apart from TTW) I have The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett, which Eileen recommended.

calismum
21-11-2008, 09:03 PM
I loved the Pullman trilogy!

Buchan The Thirty Nine Steps

Me too!

Was trying to think of a few lesser well known of these authors.

Read them all years and years ago. I have all Dickens, J L Stevenson and Buchan books. They are beautiful leather bound with the thinnest paper. They belonged to my grandfather who was the one who introduced me to these writers.

dandysmom
21-11-2008, 09:06 PM
While waiting for TTW I'm reading the latest Jonathan Kellerman's latest Alex Delaware crime novel, Bones.

calismum
21-11-2008, 09:12 PM
angieh - the lovely bones is a great book. Read it when on hols in the summer. I'm sure you'll not be disa ppointed.

DM - read bones too and thought it was a good book.

I'm 'reading' a couple of garden design books just now trying to decide my next garden plans. Also a book called 'perfect Plant perfect place.

dandysmom
21-11-2008, 09:44 PM
angieh - the lovely bones is a great book. Read it when on hols in the summer. I'm sure you'll not be disa ppointed.

DM - read bones too and thought it was a good book.

I'm 'reading' a couple of garden design books just now trying to decide my next garden plans. Also a book called 'perfect Plant perfect place.

I like Kellerman; have read all of his, also his wife Fay's. Good relaxing escapism. Just started Bones today.

angieh
21-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Anyone like Kathy Reichs?

dandysmom
21-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Love her, read them all!

calismum
21-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Anyone like Kathy Reichs?

Love her, read them all!

Absolutely - I too have read them all. I think I prefer her books to Patricia Cornwell.

dandysmom
21-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Absolutely - I too have read them all. I think I prefer her books to Patricia Cornwell.

I used to enjoy her Kay Scarpetta books, but she has gotten very dark in the last few; a bit depressing when you're just looking for a light read ..........

calismum
21-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Another author I had read all of is James Paterson. Especially like the Alex Cross ones.

dandysmom
21-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Another author I had read all of is James Paterson. Especially like the Alex Cross ones.

I've read a few, but for some reason just can't really get into them ....

Anyone like Elizabeth Peters Egyptian books...Amelia Peabody?
And Ellis Peters Brother Cadfael series?

calismum
21-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I've read a few, but for some reason just can't really get into them ....

Anyone like Elizabeth Peters Egyptian books...Amelia Peabody?
And Ellis Peters Brother Cadfael series?

Haven't read any of hese. Workmate reads the Brother Cadfael books and has told me I will enjoy them. Must add them to my list. (thinks - when will I ever get time to read all these books I have on my 'must read sometime' list?)

dandysmom
21-11-2008, 10:33 PM
So many books, so little time .....:-D

calismum
21-11-2008, 10:34 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :cry:

angieh
22-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Just a query - has anyone read The Gadfly by Ethel Lilian Voynich, published in 1897? It's not a book I have even heard of before, but I was trying to track the film - made in 80's with a Russian director. Evidently (how true, not sure) it's based on her real life affair with a British secret service agent. Sounds fascinating - also its a free download and I have never read an e-book before.

calismum
22-11-2008, 03:51 PM
no, never even heard of it - sounds interesting tho'

dinahsmum
05-12-2008, 01:00 PM
So what will our xmas read be?
One suggestion each and I'll do a poll?
Get your ideas in by Wednesday next week and I'll do the poll, we'll close it the following Monday and work out a date in the new year to start chatting?

angieh
05-12-2008, 02:04 PM
I would put in a suggestion for Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky, just based on a recommendation I got yesterday! I know nothing apart from the reviews posted on Amazon -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suite-Francaise-Irene-Nemirovsky/dp/0099488787/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228482055&sr=8-1

dinahsmum
05-12-2008, 02:08 PM
It's a fantastic book angie - absolutely wonderful.
It may not be a christmas book, given the circumstances of its writing and the demise of its author :(
I'd be very happy to read it again and discuss it though - any time!

dandysmom
05-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Does anyone remember where the original list of suggested books is? There were two there that I thought looked very interesting, but don't recall the names at the moment and don't remember the post they were n..... ???

angieh
05-12-2008, 06:20 PM
It's here I think Eileen .....

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=29864

dandysmom
05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Many thanks, Angie! The two I liked were Nowhere to Run and on Chesil Beach...whoops, only one suggestion allowed. Take your pick, DM...

calismum
07-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I'd like to suggest this book. My friend has just finished it and told me a little of it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behind-Scenes-Museum-Kate-Atkinson/dp/0312150601/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228682143&sr=8-2

Behind the Scenes at the Museum - Kate Atkinson

angieh
07-12-2008, 09:48 PM
I've read that book some time ago and loved it calismum - I'd recommend it too!

calismum
07-12-2008, 09:58 PM
I've read that book some time ago and loved it calismum - I'd recommend it too!

Oh, this is going to be hard. OH bought me Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky a few weeks ago and I've not read it yet but it is in my want to read soon pile.

Alicia says 'Behind the scenes................' is one of the best books she's read in ages.

dandysmom
07-12-2008, 10:26 PM
I enjoyed Behind the Scenes also.

mj69
23-12-2008, 11:07 AM
hi all, have we decided on our next read, im currently reading a Jodi Picoult " Nineteen minutes" and what a good read.... so i would propose that one

dandysmom
28-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Oddly enough. I just ordered 19 Minutes from Barnes and Noble here...used my Christmas gift card, so I'd like to second the request for it as our next read. Sounds quite interesting.

angieh
28-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Yes, we really need to make our next couple of choices so not to lose our motivation, don't you think?

dandysmom
29-12-2008, 02:40 AM
Yes, shall we put up a poll?

angieh
29-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Good idea Eileen - do you want to do it, as I have no idea how to!

calismum
29-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Yes, would be good to get a new book underway.

dinahsmum
29-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Maybe as both of you ladies have been disappointed in both BC choices so far, we should just go with the Jodi Picoult? Never read any of his/hers? (oops!) but there seem to be plenty of copies around - sometimes a good recommendation, sometimes not.
Anyway - I for one would be happy to go with Nineteen Minutes.

dandysmom
29-12-2008, 05:30 PM
So ...... are there any other suggestions other than the Picoult, we can have a poll if there are. It's a female, DM, BTW. Quite prolific, I see; haven't read any of her others.

calismum
29-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Read a couple of reviews - sounds fine. Happy to go with that one if everyone else ok.

Hey DM - hope we're not giong to get a reputation for being difficult or hard to please - as if :lol: :lol: :lol:

angieh
29-12-2008, 07:39 PM
I have no trouble with "being difficult or hard to please" - after all authors do get paid to write entertaining or thought provoking literature - if they miss the spot for some people that just goes to prove that we still have minds of our own!

I have not read any Jodie Picoult either and I do love finding a new author that pleases me.

Perhaps we could decide on the book to read afterwards too? I'll get my order off then ........ any ideas for that one?

calismum
29-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I have no trouble with "being difficult or hard to please" - after all authors do get paid to write entertaining or thought provoking literature - if they miss the spot for some people that just goes to prove that we still have minds of our own!
I have not read any Jodie Picoult either and I do love finding a new author that pleases me.

Perhaps we could decide on the book to read afterwards too? I'll get my order off then ........ any ideas for that one?

Thank goodness! Good idea about getting two books - need to think on which one.

dandysmom
29-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Read a couple of reviews - sounds fine. Happy to go with that one if everyone else ok.

Hey DM - hope we're not giong to get a reputation for being difficult or hard to please - as if :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me too!! My 19 Minutes came today, good long read, 503 pages. I'll have a think about the second book; willing to go along with the majority opinion.

mj69
29-12-2008, 10:10 PM
im about a quarter of the way through the "19 mins" my mum read it before me and tells me I'll need my tissues!

It's shaping up to be a good read and i'm not going to give anything away about the story, this is my 3rd Jodi Picoult book and i have enjoyed everyone often about quite sensitive subjects and thought prevoking issues...

will happily read what the majority vote for in book two will put my thinking cap on...

meep
05-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Just caught up with this thread now, sorry for my absence! Book sounds good, I'll buy it this weekend and try and race through it. Currently reading Wilkie's "The Woman in White" after Eileen's recomendation, and loving it!

dinahsmum
08-01-2009, 10:50 AM
I should get my Amazon delivery today, so will be able to start 19 Minutes soon.

I bought The Uncommon Reader yesterday and read it in about an hour last night. It's a beautifully spare 120 pages and Alan Bennett's writing is so good it really fits the old 'un put-downable' description. It's a fantastic book for a book club, being about the joy of reading! Highly recommend

Edit. Sorry - should have put a link. Here you are http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uncommon-Reader-Alan-Bennett/dp/1846681332/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231408875&sr=8-1

calismum
08-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Bought 19 mins yesterday so will prob start at weekend.

Reading Dawn French, Dear Fatty just now - had a few LOL episodes (one on the train :oops: )

dandysmom
08-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Senior moment: have forgotten the date we can start discussing the latest book!

dinahsmum
08-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Don't think we set one - xmas intervened!
Not yet please - I haven't got mine yet!

dandysmom
08-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Glad it wasn't my memory, DM! What about January 31st then, would that be enough time? It's a long read, 500 pages, but a page turner can't-put-down IMO.

angieh
08-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I don't have my copy yet either! Oh I don't want to be left out.

I have nearly finished The Pillars of the Earth - major tour de force and loving it. Not that deep, but a great story.

dinahsmum
08-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Jan 31 sounds fine to me.
As I said wrt The Uncommon Reader (pr page) I happily did 120 pages in an hour or so yesterday.
Hope everyone will be Ok with that?

dandysmom
08-01-2009, 05:24 PM
We can always move it up if enough members haven't finished.

calismum
08-01-2009, 07:49 PM
31st suits me fine too. Have got book but am trying to finish the seven - yes, 7!!! books I am in various stages of reading. I really must stop doing that.

dandysmom
08-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Had to grin at that, CM; never had seven going at one time but do have my downstairs book and my upstairs book going at the same time. Read the latter during commercials and sports on the 11pm news, and after until I turn out the lights.

calismum
08-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Had to grin at that, CM; never had seven going at one time but do have my downstairs book and my upstairs book going at the same time. Read the latter during commercials and sports on the 11pm news, and after until I turn out the lights.

I usually have around three/four on the go.

One at work - usuallly something very light that I can pick up and put down without having to think too hared about plots etc.

One for bed, one in kitchen/living room, and maybe another.

Problem is I got so many good ones at Christmas, have given in and started the Cats Miaow (wonderful book - thanks for pointing me in that direction), still reading Callums Road, started the Dawn French one. That is in addition to the Four I was already reading.

As an aside - I have just counted the number of plant/gardening books I have - 51 arghhhh.:oops: :oops:

dinahsmum
09-01-2009, 11:14 AM
lol @ you two multi-bookers! I can do it with one novel and one dip-in-and-out non fiction or biog but I couldn't cope with two 'stories' going on at once.

The post lady has just brought my Amazon order. I didn't know anything about 19 Minutes before now; I now see that the theme is the same as We Need to Talk About Kevin by (Male name, which I can't remember, but female writer) Shriver. It will be interesting to compare the two.

Edit: Lionel Shriver What a funny name to give to a baby daughter

calismum
23-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Just finished 19 minutes and found at the back of the book is suggested questions for book club discussion. What do people think about taking a few of these questions and discussing them one at a time.

Thought this would be quite a good way to discuss the book instead of each of us trying to cover so much in one or two posts and not really getting a 'good' discussion going.

What do people think?

dandysmom
23-01-2009, 11:33 PM
I think that's an excellent idea!

calismum
23-01-2009, 11:35 PM
great - hope the others agree. Do we have a finish date? Was it 31st Jan?

dandysmom
23-01-2009, 11:41 PM
We do, and it is. Love the idea about the suggestions for discussion.

calismum
23-01-2009, 11:49 PM
We do, and it is. Love the idea about the suggestions for discussion.

Are they at the back of your book too?

dandysmom
23-01-2009, 11:53 PM
No, mine was from Barnes and Noble, a US bookseller like Amazon (only with less stuff!); got it with my Christmas gift card.

calismum
23-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Oh shame - I'll pm you a couple of the questions to see what you think.

dandysmom
23-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Please do, I'd like that. Off for a few to start dinner; will pop back on while things are cooking. I hate the time difference; just as things are interesting, I have to go!

calismum
24-01-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm off to bed now!!!!!