PDA

View Full Version : ive got to have a camera down my throat :(

CathyW
30-10-2008, 01:04 PM
ive been having probs when i eat. it gets stuck, then about 1/2 later (some times longer) i give a hiccy burp and it goes down. im just hoping that i am sedated when they do it.
but on the good news side ive lost 7lbs in a week :) ive been using a food focus on-line diet diary. it does all the calculations for you.
called food focus.

yola
30-10-2008, 01:21 PM
How bizarre. Have they given any indication of what it might be? I have to say I wouldn't fancy that . . . and I'm sure they will sedate you adequetly the docs are usually quite good with things like that :shock:

dinahsmum
30-10-2008, 01:37 PM
My old boss had the ?endoscopy? a few times. He said it was OK - they give you enough sedation so you don't care but not enough to knock you out totally. A bit like the i/v dental sedation I think.
Losing weight is fine but not too much too fast!
Have you got a date for the procedure?

Moli
30-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I have had that procedure twice, like you felt as if food was getting stuck...Reflux caused mine, and I now take medication for it..

angieh
30-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I am sure you will be fine boys mum and once they find out what's causing it you'll be cursing because you're putting on weight. May turn out to be the same problem as Moli?

CathyW
03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
i already have put on too many LBs so dont want any more on there.
if its not 1 end its the other, i had a breast screening thingy today damm it that hurts dont it. and men if u can imagine have a part of your anatomy put inbetween 2 plates and squeeze u know what it feels like. LOL

angieh
03-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Yes, it hurts like billy-o. Had mammogram done about 2 weeks ago.

dandysmom
03-11-2008, 09:10 PM
I hate mammograms, hurt like the devil! Agree completely if it were men, they'd have found another way to test!!!! Hope the endoscopy won't be to bad, BM, fingers crossed for you!

Tink
03-11-2008, 11:34 PM
you will be sedated i believe unless they do things differently over there. i got an endoscopy done a few months ago and was scared to death but like everyone told me i didn't realize what even happened.
upon waking i asked in a rude manner to the nurse why they were taking everything off we hadn't even gotten started...she was like "uhm, it's over already"..LOL. i didn't even think i was asleep at all. it felt like i blinked.
but i was out of it for the rest of the day.

calismum
03-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Hope they get to the bottom of it BM, and yes, the mammogram - ouch, but at least it is a great health check.

Natalie
04-11-2008, 04:58 AM
It does sound like you could have a stricture. The main cause of this is acid reflux which damages the tubes and causes a narrowing making it difficult to swallow.

You WILL be sedated for the procedure and you won't remember anything. Its a horrid thought but the doctor and nurses will be aware of your concerns and should relax you as much as possible. You will be free to go home later that day if you have someone else at home to supervise you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

CathyW
04-11-2008, 07:30 PM
thanx for all the advice most appreciated big time :)

Fran
04-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I had this done a few years ago now and I didn't have any sedation. So I was fully awake and saw what they were viewing on a a tv monitor :-D It really wasn't so bad. The worst for me was swallowing the tube, after that the rest was easy! So if you are sedated it will be a doddle BM. Good luck!

Mags
04-11-2008, 08:25 PM
I know someone who has this procedure done a few years ago and they were sedated, try not to worry too much BM, I'm sure you'll be fine and it will be over before you know it.
Good luck!

dandysmom
04-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Fear of the unknown is scary; glad some people here could reassure you about what to expect, BM. I wish I'd been on here when I had my cataract surgery' no one I knew had had it, and I was worried silly! Turned not not to be as awful as I'd expected!

CathyW
05-11-2008, 07:18 PM
some one did say drink loads of water b4 a meal so going to try that. im on my 2 nd glass now. ok ill probally be up all night using the loo LOL tena lady anyone????

Natalie
05-11-2008, 07:53 PM
some one did say drink loads of water b4 a meal so going to try that. im on my 2 nd glass now. ok ill probally be up all night using the loo LOL tena lady anyone????

If the cause of it is acid reflux then you should drink milky drinks to coat the lining of your Oesophagus and avoid spicy food and onions etc.

Donna
06-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Hope they find out what is wrong BM.... not nice not knowing....

CathyW
16-11-2008, 09:46 PM
well im off to the hospital thursday 2-45. and im booked for sedation. so ill let u know how it goes.

dandysmom
16-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Fingers and paws crossed here, BM!

CathyW
21-11-2008, 10:52 PM
what a day i had. went into hospital felt nervous but ok (ish) and then the nurse he was great. got to have the procedure . they gave me 2 lots of sedation. and then they put a plastic thing in my mouth and i was a bit freaked out.then thast was all i remembered. but they couldnt do the test i fought them :( gagging the works. i remember crying at one time. the doctor said they tried 3 times, 3 lots of sedation. so couldnt carry on. so now got to ask the doctor (my gp) to arrange a barium meal.
so i came home stoned LOL and my throat felt bruised.
so back to the start.

Mags
21-11-2008, 11:01 PM
So sorry you had a bad day at the hospital Cathy - my dad had to have the same procedure a few years ago and, like you, they couldn't get the camera down his throat. :( Just goes to show it's not that simple for everyone.....

I'm sure the barium meal will be more straightforward for you...:)

dandysmom
21-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Oh I'm so sorry it was so awful, Cathy! What a nightmare. I do hope the barium bit will be easier for you...(((hugs)))

angieh
22-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Sorry to hear the procedure was so traumatic - let's hope the barium is better.

dinahsmum
22-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Sorry Cathy - what a pity.
Never mind, there's more than one way to skin a cat (inappropriate metaphor for a cat forum, used deliberately in a weak attempt at humour) and the barium meal will sort it out. However, I'm sure you want the results asap.
Hope it won't be too long and .... don't stress out meantime.