PDA

View Full Version : Today I am listening to...

Natalie
28-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Keane - new album and I'm loving it.

What music are you listening to today?

Kim
28-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Keane? Is that a group or individual? Showing my ignorance here. I have classic fm on the radio all day. However, at the gym this morning I listened to Abba & Queen on my mp3.

angieh
28-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Classic fm here too!

(do you know, I felt reticent to put that until Kim did above - thought I'd be thought of as an old fogey!)

Natalie
28-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Oh not at all. I love classical music and classically trained to play the piano too.

Keane are a band Kim. I'm hoping to get take that tickets on Friday.

I love music of all kinds.

calismum
28-10-2008, 09:21 PM
I have a very wide musical taste. This morning on way to work - mp3 - Queen, Deacon Blue, Rainbow, Steve Earl.

On way home. CD - best of classic fm.

Depends on my mood and what I'm doing.

dandysmom
28-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Radio is on the oldies station all day; play classical CDs in the evening: big Bach fan, Mozart, Scarlatti, Handel, Ravel, etc..... also like lute music and Gregorian chant .....

calismum
28-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Radio is on the oldies station all day; play classical CDs in the evening: big Bach fan, Mozart, Scarlatti, Handel, Ravel, etc..... also like lute music and Gregorian chant .....

Have heard this a few times but never sure what to get as a 'starter' album. Any ideas.

dandysmom
28-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Have heard this a few times but never sure what to get as a 'starter' album. Any ideas.

CM, I'd gladly give you a list of my CDs, but 1) they are fairly old, no idea if they're still available. and 2) if they're available in the UK. Also, don't know what it's like there, but CDs are becoming less available here as more and more people listen on iPods so there is much less demand. I'll PM you a list if you want. It's such a listenable, soothing sound that I doubt if you'd go wrong with anything you got. For some reason, I like to listen to it in the Winter months: visualize the big cool cathedral and the chorus of monks singing away the cold ....

yola
28-10-2008, 11:20 PM
I love all sorts of music . . . at work I had Absolute Radio on (old and new rock); in the car I had the UB40 live CD which I swapped 1/2 way through for the Nigel Kennedy 'jazz' influenced disc (the latest one he's released; can't remember title).

This evening we've been listening to Schubert's Sting Quintet whilst I've been ironing and OH's been working on the PC.

Matron - we must stop meeting like this ;) ; I learnt piano up to the age of 16 also (classical only - despite my protestations). Got to grade 5!!

Natalie
29-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Yola - I stopped at 16 when I left school and got to grade 5 also.

THIS IS SPOOKY

PoshPuss
29-10-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm listening to the groans of OH as he creaks his way around the house this morning:lol: but musically, we're in a 60's/70's time warp most of the day.
Like DM(USA) its Gregorian chant I like listening to alone and with the lights low, is really hypnotic and serene.
My music taste is very eclectic, I used to sing in a choir until a bout of croup did for my larynx. I love to sing now, but not in public. I wouldn't abuse people's hearing like that :-D.

meep
29-10-2008, 11:12 AM
I love all sorts of music . . . at work I had Absolute Radio on (old and new rock); in the car I had the UB40 live CD which I swapped 1/2 way through for the Nigel Kennedy 'jazz' influenced disc (the latest one he's released; can't remember title).

This evening we've been listening to Schubert's Sting Quintet whilst I've been ironing and OH's been working on the PC.

Matron - we must stop meeting like this ;) ; I learnt piano up to the age of 16 also (classical only - despite my protestations). Got to grade 5!!

I'm exactly the same!! I played from age 6 - 17, and was clasically trained despite asking repeatedly to get some Blues and Jazz training. But my teacher only did classical :roll: I have a piano, it's at home at my Dad's house, and I will get it moved to my own place when I eventually get my own place. I miss it so much!

I love all music too. At work I listen to upbeat stuff like Kanye West, Gnarles Barkley, Duffy, Britney to keep me motivated and energetic, then at home OH often puts on some jazz or I'll put on some classical, but I've been to see Metallica live, and also really enjoy Sia, Jeff Buckley and John Mayer. Oh, and new favourite is Jason Mraz. I like Absoltue Radio too for a good mix of old and new tunes :)

dinahsmum
29-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Have a listen to Jesse Cook here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgSfs5PKnKI) - Canadian and pretty much unknown over here.
I really like him

janey83
29-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Im listening to P!nks new album, its well good!

meep
29-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I love this! I love Spanish Guitar (another instrument I used to play) and I love the exotic sound of the song, very romanitc and alluring. Makes me wish I was travelling around Mexico 'on the road' style :lol:

Thanks for that DM, I'm going to download some of his stuff from itunes for my new iphone :)

meep
29-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Ohh I've just listened to another one, Fall at your Feet, I now REALLY want to hunt out some Flamenco dance lessons (or Salsa, or Tango) and get grooving. I love how music can have that affect, and make me feel so passionate about something!

dinahsmum
29-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Hey - make good use of that iPhone meep! :)
I hope you enjoy Jesse Cook. You can hear so many influences in his music - North African, Spanish, you name it.
Edit: And I just love Fall At Your Feet

angieh
29-10-2008, 03:01 PM
That Jesse Cook was great - had me tapping my feet and swaying about! Thanks for the introduction dinahsmum!

dandysmom
29-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I really do have eclectic tastes: anyone enjoy bagpipe music? About once a year or so I get the urge and play my two CDs...... never could get into jazz ....

calismum
29-10-2008, 08:26 PM
I really do have eclectic tastes: anyone enjoy bagpipe music? About once a year or so I get the urge and play my two CDs...... never could get into jazz ....

As a true scottish lassie - of course I love bagpipes. Was at the world piping championships earlier this year. Brings a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.

dandysmom
29-10-2008, 09:16 PM
As a true scottish lassie - of course I love bagpipes. Was at the world piping championships earlier this year. Brings a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.

We often have bagpipes at State funerals here, and it's the same with me. I don't know the official name of the song, but the one about Bonnie Prince Charlie, "Will Ye No Come Back Again"... makes me tear up ..... and I haven't a Scots bone in my body!