PDA

View Full Version : Ground Rules

Natalie
27-10-2008, 08:58 PM
48 hours in and Koko is a cat with attitude :)

He has finally given into the hunger strike and has demolished 3 bowls of food and some scrambled egg from hubbys lunch. Unfortunately Andrew's eyes are very inflamed and his breathing is tight so we have decided that Koko is to sleep in future in the utility room and not on my head in bed. Boy is he going to kick up a stink tonight. He is already demanding that I go to bed already and is calling me from my bedroom for cuddles.

He is now sulking :?

Where do your puddy tats sleep at night?

Fran
27-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Where do your puddy tats sleep at night?

On the bed with hubby and me or on the children's beds :cool:

Matron - have you had a Siamese before??

Moli
27-10-2008, 09:03 PM
4 of my boys sleep in the utilityroom, and Leo being the oldie in the kitchen.been the arrangement since they were all kittens...One thing I did not want was 5 cats jumping on me during the night.....
They have got so used to it now, they put themselves to bed...

Elaine
27-10-2008, 09:04 PM
The question is not so much where do our cats sleep but where do we sleep?:lol: :lol: :lol:
Eva sleeps on my chest for a while before taking herself off to her bed under the bed. Bernie normally sleeps at the foot of the bed and then takes himself off to the sofa or the cat bed in the bedroom window.
Living in a flat, space is limited and I have always let my cats sleep in the bedroom. I do get a little choked now and again because Eva and Bernie are both fluffy cats where as before my cats were always short haired. I do love kitty cuddles at bed time though.

Natalie
27-10-2008, 09:05 PM
On the bed with hubby and me or on the children's beds :cool:

Matron - have you had a Siamese before??

No I Havent, can you tell lol.

He isnt behaving anything other than i expected but as hubby is allergic to cats and he needs time to build up a tolerance then we havent got a choice but to let him sleep elsewhere for the time being at least.

I love his personality although the kids are scared at the moment of his vocal activity lol.

Fran
27-10-2008, 09:09 PM
No I Havent, can you tell lol.

He isnt behaving anything other than i expected but as hubby is allergic to cats and he needs time to build up a tolerance then we havent got a choice but to let him sleep elsewhere for the time being at least.

I love his personality although the kids are scared at the moment of his vocal activity lol.

Are you getting support from his breeder to help settle him in? If you are putting him away from you during the night, have you got company for him?? One thing Siamese do not like is being alone.

Natalie
27-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Are you getting support from his breeder to help settle him in? If you are putting him away from you during the night, have you got company for him?? One thing Siamese do not like is being alone.

Yes I have had lots of support and to be fair the little man is building in confidence all the time. The past 2 nights he has slept with us on the bed but andrew's allergy has hit an all time high today so we need to put him to sleep somewhere else for the time being.

What company do you suggest? I was going to put a hot water bottle in his bed which he has taken to today?

meep
27-10-2008, 09:19 PM
My two sleep at the foot of the bed, occasionally Darcy creeps up onto my chest for a wee bit during the night, but normally foot of the bed. If they tried to sleep beside us at the top there'd be no room for us :lol: I'm quite happy they do, as they keep us warm!

I used to be allergic to cats, have gotten much better as I've gotten older, but after sleeping in a bed with accumulating cat fur I started to get itchy eyes again. So twice a week I hoover the bed and it does the trick :)

hope the wee lad has a good night tonight, bless him.

Fran
27-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Well I was thinking more of a feline companion??

Hot water bottle, ticking clock, radio, tv anything to make him feel like he isn't alone....

It may be one of the reasons why he isn't settling so well if there are no other felines in the house...just a thought. As a side line I don't know what your circumstances are as I haven't really been around for a while but I won't let any of my kittens go to a house without another feline companion, as Siamese and Orientals as a rule, are not so happy without the company of another cat/s.

Fran
27-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Incidently, the 'me to you' range do a microwave bear that would be ideal in these circumstances. It's soft and cuddly and you can warm in the microwave :)

Natalie
27-10-2008, 09:23 PM
I do have another cat Belle whom is a 6 year old tabby moggy. They are currently have a hissy spat thingy at the foot of the stairs. They are not ready to share a room soley for the night as yet.

Andrew is on daily anti histamines and he will be fine. Will get the air purifier out in the morning.

dandysmom
27-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Mine have always slept in the bed with me. He's not afraid of Belle, is he? Siamese are usually feisty, I imagine he'll get along with her OK as soon as she feels more comfortable that he hasn't taken her position as alpha cat. It's hard to ignore a kitten, especially such a vocal boy, but do try to give Belle a little extra attention so her nose isn't out of joint.! Excellent news that he's wolfing down his food.....

Natalie
27-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Mine have always slept in the bed with me. He's not afraid of Belle, is he? Siamese are usually feisty, I imagine he'll get along with her OK as soon as she feels more comfortable that he hasn't taken her position as alpha cat. It's hard to ignore a kitten, especially such a vocal boy, but do try to give Belle a little extra attention so her nose isn't out of joint.! Excellent news that he's wolfing down his food.....

They both havent come to an understanding really. I have kept them apart mostly but so that they could see each other through the patio doors.

Belle is normally such an outdoor cat but she is in tonight (miracle) so she will have cuddles on the bed i think or else a wee tin of tuna ;)

Moli
27-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I had a Siamese boy on his own, and he settled down well, but did become very attached to one of my dogs!!!

dandysmom
27-10-2008, 09:56 PM
They both havent come to an understanding really. I have kept them apart mostly but so that they could see each other through the patio doors.

Belle is normally such an outdoor cat but she is in tonight (miracle) so she will have cuddles on the bed i think or else a wee tin of tuna ;)

Sounds to me as if you're doing everything just right! Chin-tickles to both of them!

cats' staff
27-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Cleo sleeps under the bed with Smudge and Tolly on top of it. They sometimes even let us in........

angieh
27-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Incidently, the 'me to you' range do a microwave bear that would be ideal in these circumstances. It's soft and cuddly and you can warm in the microwave :)

I'm going to look that up - sounds just the thing!

Fran
27-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm going to look that up - sounds just the thing!

http://www.sayitwithbears.co.uk/viewbear/2589

Natalie
28-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Good thinking Fran. I had a fleece sausage shaped bean thing which I heat up in the microwave when my bed is achey. I heated it up lovely and hot and placed in in his bed and I didn't hear a peep out of him till 5am when I guess he was hungry. I left him till 6.30 though and he has scoffed his breakfast. Will let him out a little more today but I worry about the kids letting him out. Oh well. Looks like the heat treatment worked, he didn't even cry when settling and belle got much wanted cuddles on the bed. Andrew is immune to her now.

Fran
28-10-2008, 08:22 AM
This is good news! :D Actually one thing you will find with Siamese is that they LOVE the warmth and hate to be cold. I know cats in general like warmth but Siamese, more so!

Moli
28-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Brilliant Matron, good to hear the little man is settling.....I found when I only had the one Siamese, he bonded with me more so than the two I have now....
Sure him and Belle will become good friends....

angieh
28-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks for that link Fran - they're cute too - I have always liked teddy bears!

Elvisisboss
28-10-2008, 05:44 PM

so true Elvis hates being left alone :( when he came to live with me when i moved before i went to bed and he came running upstairs crying the house down thinking id left him :( manged to settle him & shut the door after about a hour!

i was also going to suggust a hormone plug in thingy, Feliway! they really worked on Elvis & i have one here for Taylor and his settled in literally within a hour! i think these are reallyyyyyy good!
& also a snuggle thingy for him!

here are the links:

http://www.snugglemypet.com/

http://www.feliway.uk.com/gb

yola
28-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Good thinking with the felliway EIB . . . it calmed my nervous old boy down a treat . . . don't know why I didn't think of suggesting it!! :oops:

Natalie
28-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Thats a great idea. Will try to get one tomorrow. Will it work all round the house or will i need a couple?

Elvisisboss
28-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Thats a great idea. Will try to get one tomorrow. Will it work all round the house or will i need a couple?

well 1 is ok for one room, so say the living room if that is where he spends most of his time & then where ever he sleeps? they last quite a while as well & they are even cheaper on Ebay! :D

Taylor is settled so im going to leave it on for a few more days then save the rest for the Fosters that i get :)

Natalie
28-10-2008, 09:41 PM
well 1 is ok for one room, so say the living room if that is where he spends most of his time & then where ever he sleeps? they last quite a while as well & they are even cheaper on Ebay! :D

Taylor is settled so im going to leave it on for a few more days then save the rest for the Fosters that i get :)

Ordered :smt023

Fran
28-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Just to bear in mind that the feliway can take about 30 days before you see improvement if you are going to. Just didn't want you to expect an overnight 'cure' Definitely worth giving it a go though

Natalie
28-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Just to bear in mind that the feliway can take about 30 days before you see improvement if you are going to. Just didn't want you to expect an overnight 'cure' Definitely worth giving it a go though

Thanks Fran. Good to know.

Elvisisboss
29-10-2008, 12:49 AM
I always plug mine in about 4/5days before i had the cats here, with Elvis i noticed it in him as soon as he walked through the door, with taylor it was about 2days! :D