PDA

View Full Version : I got a chicken leg into Merlin!

angieh
27-10-2008, 03:34 PM
He has had me worried ..... eating a very small amount of all the various sorts of cat food in the cupboard and then up chucking them all.

Made appointment to take him to the vet this afternoon, but have just phoned to cancel it. Merlin has eaten a whole cold chicken leg (obviously minus the bones). I hand fed him - he's eaten the lot with no apparent discomfort and it is still inside him!

OH says he's a con artist. Wish Merlin just wouldn't worry me so.

He'll get the other leg later! (Merlin that is, not OH!!!)

Can you "hear" my relief?

Kazz - I will get some squirty cream next time I go shopping!

Mags
27-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Brilliant news Angie, you'll have to stock up on chicken legs now! :D

dinahsmum
27-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Brilliant news Angie, you'll have to stock up on chicken legs now! :D
That's no good Mags - Merlin will look at them, sniff them with disdain and then look up at Angie as if to say 'Do I really look as if I might eat that?'
The thing is to think laterally and try to be one step ahead. What's the least likely thing for him to eat? Get that!

So, in the cupboard/freezer, should be
Chicken
Duck (maybe)
Turkey
Ham
Salmon
White fish
Skate
Prawns
Cake
Eggs
Pilchards in tomato
Sild in oil and in tomato
Herring roe
and so on

meep
27-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Fantastic news Angie! I'm breathing a sigh of relief too :) Also, now I really want a BBQ'd chicken leg!! That sounds so tasty. Lucky Merlin ;)

PoshPuss
27-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Angie I read the title of the thread and thought GOOD GRIEF, but then I realised that he ATE the chicken leg :lol:phew, well done Angie and hope Merlin contines to devour more feathered friends :-D

dinahsmum
27-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Angie I read the title of the thread and thought GOOD GRIEF, but then I realised that he ATE the chicken leg :lol:phew, well done Angie and hope Merlin contines to devour more feathered friends :-D
I, too, had an interesting mental picture :)
"Where did she put it?" etc :shock:
But we probably both knew what it meant really, didn't we?

PoshPuss
27-10-2008, 04:42 PM
:lol: I had that mental picture too, but , I reasoned that he meant he had eaten it...:lol: :shock: :lol:

angieh
27-10-2008, 04:45 PM
My title had the desired effect then! Tempted you to come in and read it to find out what happened!!!

dandysmom
27-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Lol at the responses! Glad he enjoyed it, and think DM has a wise point there.....

angieh
27-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Yes, I agree Eileen - she has. Of course, I do already have quite a few of the things on her list! But I must get some sardines or pilchards in tomato sauce as I'm fairly sure Merlin would like those.

(He doesn't like cake, but that might help me when I get stressed because he won't eat!)

meep
27-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Bless Merlin, that list of goodies is sure to drive most pusses wild! I keep discovering more and more things that Darcy likes. Maderia cake, milk from my cereal (Apple and Cinamon crunch!), string, more plastic, tea, butter, bolognaise, pasta :shock: Not that I have ever offered him these things, he has quite contendly helped himself! Y'day I walked in to find him beginning to sniff around a pan I used to cook bacon in, then have a little lick of the fat :roll: As such I need to make sure the kitchen is clear of food at all times!

Sorry for hijacking Angie! Just happy to hear Merlin's ok :)

angieh
27-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Bless Merlin, that list of goodies is sure to drive most pusses wild! I keep discovering more and more things that Darcy likes. Maderia cake, milk from my cereal (Apple and Cinamon crunch!), string, more plastic, tea, butter, bolognaise, pasta :shock: Not that I have ever offered him these things, he has quite contendly helped himself! Y'day I walked in to find him beginning to sniff around a pan I used to cook bacon in, then have a little lick of the fat :roll: As such I need to make sure the kitchen is clear of food at all times!

Sorry for hijacking Angie! Just happy to hear Merlin's ok :)

No worries! Merlin loves to lick the oil in which bacon has been cooked! In fact, when he tries to get in the dishwasher, I am sure that's what he is hoping to find!

meep
27-10-2008, 05:45 PM
No worries! Merlin loves to lick the oil in which bacon has been cooked! In fact, when he tries to get in the dishwasher, I am sure that's what he is hoping to find!

:lol: In all fairness, bacon is super tasty!

Kazz
27-10-2008, 06:56 PM
The title had a weird effect on my mind .....I was estatic as he'd eaten something then I got the weird images flashing through but my first thought was "Yes he's eaten" I must live a sheltered life.

However I agree with DM....I found myself stocking up on things that were simply for the cats....)

I must say though I would also add Corned beef to that list and also mention I brought skinless an boneless red tinned salmon as they adored that, and also brought sild (type of sardine) in tom sauce and also in oil.....as I thought it would help with their "movements"

Oh they also both adored cheese sauce....yeah I know they were spoilt and I would put the cheese/white sauce over fish.... it worked well. Also grated cheese went down well. Spa Bol was also a fav...as well strangely mine liked faggots (curtsey of my parents) however they also liked a little liver occasionaly too....and they liked pork pie. I also kept a couple of Welsh lab chops in the freezer ready to used and did a regular in the winter lamb or rabbit stew for the cats and of course the dogs that could last 2 nights. They all adored the gravy...And of course the squirty cream and a fav of both of them was Danish Blu cheese and various strong smelling cheese's....

Karen

Natalie
27-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Wonderful news to hear Merlin has eaten and kept it all down. How stressful is it when they dont eat? and vomitting too? You must have been a nervous wreck.

How's he doing now?

angieh
27-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your encouraging posts! Merlin has nearly eaten all of the second leg! Poor wee man, I knew he was hungry. I have got lots of the bits that dinahsmum suggests, but will make a "Merlin emergency tasty cupboard" and include the squirty cream and the sardines in tomato sauce - he always likes to lick the tomato sauce off a plate if we've had baked beans - so I think that's a good indication that he would like more.

I take it Kazz that your lamb stew did not include onions etc. Don't happen to have kept the recipe, have you?

Steph
27-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Merlin has eaten a whole cold chicken leg (obviously minus the bones). I hand fed him - he's eaten the lot with no apparent discomfort and it is still inside him!

You know how fickle they can be-if it goes in at one end and comes out the other there is not too much to worry about

calismum
27-10-2008, 07:43 PM
so pleased he has kept it down. hope the food cupboard works for him. It is such a relief when you get a 'solution' isn't it?

dandysmom
27-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Bacon fat made me smile....Misty adored it. I'll admit I left the pan out so it congealed for her. :oops:

Natalie
27-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Second leg??? GO MERLIN GO :-)

random
27-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Oh bless him, glad he's eaten it though, such a relief for you, it's awful when they won't eat.

Phoenix
27-10-2008, 09:31 PM
That's really good news! Beauty's willing to send some online turkey for Merlin to enjoy if he likes!

angieh
27-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks Beauty! Merlin is fast asleep in front of the fire on his thermal cushion atm - he's bound to wake up and want more food before we go to bed though!

dandysmom
27-10-2008, 10:06 PM
And I know he'll get it! He needs to fatten up before Winter, bless him! Normally picky Leia is eating voraciously these days, I wonder if she knows something we don't??