PDA

View Full Version : Decision to make - advice please!

Tina
26-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Hi All

At Mouse's last vet visit, the vet said that as she was doing so well and her blood counts were in normal ranges, and as we weren't going to lower her meds again for awhile......we could give her a 2-month break from vet visits and endless bloodwork. She's next due to go to the vet therefor in late November for blood work and to try to lower her meds again. She is very much enjoying the lack of vet visits!

I have noticed today that she seems to be getting a little "pale" and slightly anemic-looking again. The last time I thought she was looking pale her bloods turned out to be ok so it was an unnecessary vet visit and unnecessary bloodwork. I don't want to put her through that again before she's do for her bloodwork, but I don't want to chance her getting really sick again if there is a problem and I wait a couple more weeks.

She's been so brave for so many months, but she really hates going to the vet as she knows she always getted jabbed at with needles.

I just don't know what to do. I know if I ring the vet, he'll say to bring her in....and I know if I bring her in, he'll take blood. I probably should bring her in just in case.....but she's going to be sooooo upset, and I'll be sooo upset if it wasn't necessary to put her through it.

:(

Tina

dinahsmum
26-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Aaaargh!
Don't they cause anguish? :roll:
Would you be happy to set yourself a time limit for veterinary intervention? Do you think she'll be Ok waiting a week, even if she does turn out to need attention?
If so, maybe that's what you should do. Leave a decision till next Monday and in the meantime just treat Mouse normally, leave her to enjoy an interference-free life and don't fuss her or constantly check on her?

Of course you'd be alert to any major changes and take the necessary action if it was obvious.

Don't know - it's a very personal decision as only you are actually there and can see her, but it's a suggestion for you to accept or reject, as you see fit.
Good luck

Elaine
26-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I dont know... due to the seriousness of her condition, I personally wouldnt hesitate to get the vet to check her again.
It might be an idea to discuss all this with your vet as he and you both know her better than us and know more about her condition. It sounds like you have a good working relationship with your vet and I am sure he will understand your concerns and may be better able to advise as to when it is necessary to get her vet attention opposed to when you are being a little over anxious.
I wish you both lots of love and well wishes to dear little Mouse. xxx

calismum
26-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi - As said above, if you have a good relationship then tell him how you feel, see what the reaction is.

I know how you feel about the needles etc. (had a dog who went thru' same type of routine visit-needle-result-visit-needl.....)

I think if you are at all unsure then it really is better to check. Perhaps you could split the difference in future visits, eg instead of going from monthly to two monthly go 6 weekly?

Hope it all turns out to be a false alarm.

CM

Mags
26-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Thinking of you and Mouse, Tina, I hope her condition improves.....hugs to you both....

Natalie
26-10-2008, 03:51 PM
I echo what mags said. Its a very difficult decision all round which there isn't a straightforward answer.

Big hugs to you both.

Kim
26-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Very difficult decision and I feel for you having to make it. Hard for anyone to answer really as you are the one who knows Mouse the best and can see her. I am sure you will go by your gut instinct. ((hugs))

angieh
26-10-2008, 03:59 PM
I do understand your reluctance to take another perhaps unnecessary visit to the vet. You and Mouse have been through such a lot together and of course, if she is well she will hate it all the more.

I don't envy you your decision, but as others have said you know Mouse best. Perhaps sleep on it and see how she is in the morning.

dandysmom
26-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Hard decision. I'd check with the vet Monday and see what he feels is best...(((hugs)))

Moli
26-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Thinking of you both...xx

Tina
26-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi All

Thanks for your advice and suggestions, it is much appreciated!

I know that I must do something if I'm concerned as I would hate to unknowingly ignore any possible signs of relapse. Have decided to ring the vet first thing Monday morning and let him know that Mouse "seems" to be a little bit paler than the past few weeks, but that she is still eating and her energy levels seem ok (she's still racing around after Miw like a mad thing! LOL). He's likely going to want to see her, but hopefully after looking her over he won't feel the need for the bloodwork.

To make things more difficult, mine and my husband's different work hours (and the fact that I don't drive) means that my hubby will have to take her to the vet on his own.....and much as Mouse loves him, I'm very much "mommy" and she won't like being there without me.

Will make sure we have some fresh fish for her after the vet visit to "make up" for putting her through something she hates so much! Just hope she behaves as well for the vet and my husband without me there!

Thanks again! Will keep you all updated on her condition.

Tina