PDA

View Full Version : does your cat hunt?

Elvisisboss
25-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Elvis is a natural born hunter!!

he hunts Voles/mice/rats/birds & once brought home.... A Duck!!!!! :shock:

he goes to the fields where i live!

Taylor is showing a nice hunting instinct aswell, loves to hunt out his toy mice & other toys! :D

angieh
25-10-2008, 01:29 PM
The joys of having young cats! Merlin's hunting days are well over and, tbh, he was never very selective! Cold roast potatoes presumed from a neighbour's bird table, a bit of old ham rind - that was about his limit. Smudge on the other hand, female, was always bringing in voles, mice and shrews; once a frog but her best hunt when still almost a kitten was a rat that was bigger than she was - luckily she had killed it - a perfect Halloween scene it was too!

dandysmom
25-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Leia's an indoor cat, but she's an excellent mouser when they come in; and she once killed a very large rat that got in somehow!

Moli
25-10-2008, 04:52 PM
My boys did not bother until Chancer moved in, think he has been given them lessons!!!now it can be one out of 4 that brings me a mouse!!!Thankfully they don't all do it together.!

Elvisisboss
25-10-2008, 06:39 PM
The joys of having young cats! Merlin's hunting days are well over and, tbh, he was never very selective! Cold roast potatoes presumed from a neighbour's bird table, a bit of old ham rind - that was about his limit. Smudge on the other hand, female, was always bringing in voles, mice and shrews; once a frog but her best hunt when still almost a kitten was a rat that was bigger than she was - luckily she had killed it - a perfect Halloween scene it was too!

Ill tell Elvis you called him young..............his 11!! :D :-D

Rosie
04-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Rosie was always an avid hunter until Alfie arrived and she tends now to leave it to him. Unfortunately he eats his mice:shock:

fancyabrew
04-11-2008, 01:19 PM
nothing for a couple of years, but two summers ago chole managed 4 birds in about 2 weeks. 3 it killed and left bits around the house, one I got her to drop in the living room which then took off and flew around the room for about a min with the cat in pursuit, until I managed to get the bird to fly out the door, still with the cat on its tail!
It too has a taste for duck and the same summer was spotted on the river bank behind our house stalking a duck and its ducklings.

Moli
04-11-2008, 03:00 PM
I was reading this thread, looked out of the window, and Merlin had a green finch...went after him, and got it, but was not quick enough!:(

angieh
04-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Ill tell Elvis you called him young..............his 11!! :D :-D

Well, he is, relatively speaking as Merlin is 23!

Elvisisboss
04-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Well, he is, relatively speaking as Merlin is 23!

oh wow really?! doesnt look it!!! :-D :D

meep
04-11-2008, 05:14 PM
My two are indoor boys but I get the feeling if they were allowed outdoors they would adore hunting. They're constantly stalking and pouncing on each other, Darcy has perfectd his pre-pounce bum-wiggle to perfection. He does it all the blinking time :roll:

But all my other cats, which were all outdoor cats and lived in the country, were avid hunters. My mum and dad's cats were a mother and son team, and used to hunt together and managed to bring in a live male adult hare to the kitchen once :shock: I don't remember as I was only about 3 but my mum said it was huge and really, really strong. Baggins used to love catching things, have them half alive and then play with them. Chaska loved rabbits. And Sophie, I believe, is still hunting voles :)

OH musn't forget Darcy caught a big spider once! My hero!

Samz5
04-11-2008, 06:33 PM
My cats are very lazy, Rags and Bones don't really go outside these days, Domino goes for a daily 1 hour walk and the whole time we've lived here (6 years) and over that time we've had between 3 - 6 cats we've only had 1 baby rat (alive) and 2 dead mice.
Bones caught one of the mice this year and he has bad eyesight and no teeth! We were so proud that day :)

Phoenix
04-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Beauty was never a true hunter, she brought back one dead bird and a dead mouse/vole/squeaky thing.

Dylan so far hasn't been outside so I don't know if he will hunt anything or not.

calismum
05-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Alfie has brought in loads of birds and small rodents. Also some baby rabbits.
Kinsi is a bit young yet (15 weeks) but shows promise catching moths and spiders.:lol:

Best hunter I had was my first cat Shanti who brought loads of things home, including 'dead' milk cartons and crisp bags. Best thing tho' was a tiny kitten. (posted story of this ages ago in cat tails - How smudge came to stay)

Elvisisboss
05-11-2008, 02:39 AM
yah! Tay has been catching (and eating!?) moths & spiders!!

OH!!! he caught a WASP the other day..........i had to OPEN his mouth out of the window...........so flippin lucky he didnt get stung :shock:

Steph
05-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Luckily Cleo has never hunted and most of our cats were just mice although Oscar once brought us a dead squirrel.

Conker on the other hand was everything non cat lovers hate-you name it he hunted it-he started with bacon bits and worms as a kitten and progressed.

Rabbits were his favourite and the so and so managed to hide a half chewed one in the airing cupboard-You can imagine the smell!!

I never did find his body-one trip to the quarry too many and across two busy roads I fear

dandysmom
05-11-2008, 10:40 PM
The cat I grew up with, semi-longhair ginger boy, was a great mouser. He used to go up to the woods at night, and in the morning Mom would find his offerings lined up in a neat row on the back porch steps...often four or five!