PDA

View Full Version : I suspect you think I exaggerate

dandysmom
22-10-2008, 10:43 PM
how destructive the squirrels are. Well, here's proof. My neighbor spent a lot of time decorating his steps for the Holidays, I posted a pic yesterday, and commented that it wouldn't look so nice as soon as the squirrels found the small pumpkins and Indian corn. This is the sight I saw this afternoon.....

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN1800.jpg

What a pity.

Mags
22-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Oh dear, what a shame...after taking the time to make his steps look attractive too:roll: Looks like the pesky squirrel had a good feed there too..:roll:

yola
22-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Oh dear :( Is that the remnants of the pumpkin? What a shame. Much as I don't have an issue with squirrels I know some do. My MIL's roof fascias have been nibbled into oblivion by the little devils and she has now resorted to throwning things at them to keep them away!

Moli
22-10-2008, 10:49 PM
What a shame, so much care went into that display, and along come those little S *ds and spoilt it!!I fully understand why you dislike them so much DM....

dandysmom
22-10-2008, 10:56 PM
That was the Indian corn, Yola; they haven't gotten around to the pumpkins yet. Oh, tell me about fascia boards..both my friend Carolyn and I had them chew completely through them; quite expensive to repair!

angieh
22-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Yes, I can't honestly see why they are protected. IMO they should be treated like rats, like the vermin they are. Their place is in the woods and if they stay there, well and good.

What a shame about your neighbour's display. Please let him or her know that we did appreciate the trouble and we thought it very festive and lovely.

dandysmom
22-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I met him when I was out front feeding the birds, and he was not a happy camper!! We made a few remarks about his service revolver; unfortunately, can't be done!

Natalie
23-10-2008, 07:15 AM
I can't believe they could cause so much damage???? Shows just how ignornant I am!!

Dreadful shame. I would be gutted.

PoshPuss
23-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Rats with furry tails, that's what my friend calls them! and looking at this I think she's right. I can't understand why I have a phobia about rats and mice but find squirrels (physically) appealling :? but this has made me think twice.
Destructive little beggers indeed! Sorry for your display and the softboard damage, dang varmints!!! :)

dinahsmum
23-10-2008, 08:37 AM
I find it odd that they are protected in a nation which is happy to blast beautiful, and much rarer, animals in the name of the hunt. Is animal protection a State matter? I suspect it is?
So, Eileen, there's your mission in life. Start the SWAT (Stop Washington Animal Terrorists) Campaign :) Lobby City Hall for the power to humanely dispose of these little horrors.
Can you insure your premises against squirrel damage?

Donna
23-10-2008, 08:58 AM
I think they are cute!!! But I have never had any problems with them, so until then I dont see them as trouble. Can understand why people get upset when they are destoying stuff though.

meep
23-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Squirrels are cute to look at, but I didn't realise how destructive they are!! I also am not a fan of the grey squirrel. It's all I've seen here in Glasgow, and they're always fat and overfed by people who think its fun to watch how tame they are. In my old house (when I was a kid) we had one red squirrel who lived in our garden. Gorgeous wee thing and didn't seem destructive at all. Different breeds perhaps...

dandysmom
23-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks, all for the comments! As far as I know, "squirrel damage" may or may not be covered by my insurance; people tend not to make a relatively small claim because they're likely to increase the premium...catch 22!! We call them tree rats, if they didn't have those fluffy tails it would be more obvious that they're rodents. You must rue the day some idiot decided to import the American greys; they drive out your native reds, which as I understand, aren't destructive. Sorry for the rant; I felt bad for my neighbor and good friend who went to a lot of trouble to make that nice display. I might add the Indian corn has been taken down......

dandysmom
23-10-2008, 04:18 PM
I find it odd that they are protected in a nation which is happy to blast beautiful, and much rarer, animals in the name of the hunt. Is animal protection a State matter? I suspect it is?
So, Eileen, there's your mission in life. Start the SWAT (Stop Washington Animal Terrorists) Campaign :) Lobby City Hall for the power to humanely dispose of these little horrors.
Can you insure your premises against squirrel damage?

Varies, DM. Some are Federally protected, like the bald eagle, our national symbol, among others. States do have their own laws. I hate hunting...can you believe it's legal to shoot mourning doves...lovely little birds!! :(And in Alaska (home of the moose-shooting Republican Vice Presidential nominee), it's legal to shoot wolves from aircraft..... :shock:

Kim
23-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Sorry, but I like them. I have feeders for them and they have never done any damage to our property. However, I can understand how annoyed your neighbour must tbe Eileen.

calismum
23-10-2008, 09:39 PM
What a real shame. It was such a nice display - ruined.