PDA

View Full Version : Been offered a kitten.

Natalie
20-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Hello there. Feeling much better today although my youngest daughter who is just 2 keeps asking where she has gone and is crying!!! Poor thing.

There is a girl at work who has offered me a kitten out of her litter. I have spoken to hubby and he thinks its a good idea to help with the healing process and also for the girls including our other cat belle.

This kitten is 17 weeks old on Saturday and is a chocolate Point Siamese boy.... Never had a pedigree in my life and don't know much about the breed which I'm researching fast.

Apparently they are good for those who have an allergy or asthma which both my hubby and youngest daughter Poppy have. Do you think this breed is suitable for a family home? Please forgive my ignorance.

It doesn't feel right thinking of a replacement for Willow because she will never be replaced if that makes sense.

I'm writing this on my mobile as I'm in work. It is very very kind of my friend to offer one of her kittens. She is just about to advertise the rest. She is going to take him to the vets tonight for his final injections and health check. She will also keep hold of him for as long as needed until we are ready.

Advice please......only use to rescue moggies lol

Nat

Natalie
20-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Forgot to add that the litter has been brought up around other children and cats.

I have a dog but he is soft and as thick as 2 shorts planks lol.

angieh
20-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi Nat! Glad to hear you are feeling better - I am sorry for your daughter though, she is too young to understand.

I know nothing about keeping Siamese, but there are members here who do, so I'm sure someone will be along soon to give proper advice.

Of course we will all understand that you are not trying to replace Willow and I am sure that it will be a good thing for your children to focus on a new addition to your family.

It is very kind of your colleague to offer a kitten.

dinahsmum
20-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Siamese are fabulous - imo they combine the best attributes of a dog and a cat. They certainly have a dog-like bond with their owners and their home.
They are 'characters' though, and even more stuborn/self-centred than moggies.
I'm not sure how they might be with young children and I don't know if anyone here has meezers and little humans.

I'd love another, particularly a boy.

And of course it's not Willow or a Willow substitute. We all know it doesn't work like that.

PoshPuss
20-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Natalie, I'm sure you'll love the new kittie to bits whatever the breed :) I think it's nice to be able to give a home to this puss, he'll be welcomed with open arms.:bighug:

Moli
20-10-2008, 01:54 PM
As DM says Siamese are fantastic cats.....I have 2 and they are a totally different from other cats, very affectionate, people cats, full of mischief and very vocal.....But as far as I am concerned the perfect pet....

Natalie
20-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks ladies for your advice. Kitty got the clean bill of health and we are going to pick him up on Saturday.

The difficulty now is picking a name.

I must admit to being very nervous having a pedigree cat. I live in a cul de sac but I'm worried about letting him out. My other cat belle will take him all over the place towards the canal!!!! EEEKKK

Kazz
20-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Hiya How lovely to be offered a kitten I have to say I have always adored Siamese from a distance, like yourself having rescue moggies. But from what I understand they are fabulous characters...........and personalities bigger than they are. Sounds lovely like all cats shown respect (as I am sur your daughter would) they would I am sure be fine Fran on here has children although a little older than yours....and I am sure she has no problems....maybe she will be along later and reply.

How lovely to be offered a kitten though. What colur is he do you know and don't say seal or I'll have to have him off you ;)

Kazz
20-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Ohh I love choosing names what colour is he? Siamese to me are regal sort of cats.....

Natalie
20-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi Kazz.

He is a chocolate point although I could have had a seal one :)The seal point was the runt of the litter and is tiny.

Feel free to help us pick a name......its a mindfield. Need something the girls can say too lol.

Kazz
20-10-2008, 07:42 PM
How about a chocolate theme......then Crunchie? Mars? Button? Smartie? that sort of thing..........

Kazz
20-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Fudge? Cocoa..get the idea I am sure.

kado
20-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I am so pleased your getting a kitten it will never replace but will all help you ease the pain. Our 2 boys Chester and Troy eased our pain after losing kay. We all cant wait for photo's.

Moli
20-10-2008, 08:03 PM
My first was a chocolate point, Casper I have now is a seal....

angieh
20-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Ko-ko! (but then of course you'll have to get Yum-Yum!)

"The Cat Who ...." books by Lilian Jackson Braun.

Longing for a photo. Boy or girl????

dandysmom
20-10-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm so happy you're getting the kitten! Of course it's not a replacement for Willow, there will never be another Willow! Some people thought I was awful to get a new kitten a few days after my Siamese boy died, but I had a cat-sized hole in my heart and a lot of love to give to a little one ..people grieve in different ways. Anyhow, I've had Siamese as well as mogs...they're just cats! A bit smarter than some. with some doggish traits, people oriented. He'll have you wrapped around his little paw in no time! Can't wait for pics!

Moli
20-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Love the name Crunchie....:DLooking forward to pictures...!!

Moli
20-10-2008, 09:44 PM
My first Siamise were brought up in a family home, and was brilliant with the kids...The two I have now have met my Stepgrandchildren when they were no more that toddlers and were great with them....They are very much a people cat...

calismum
20-10-2008, 09:52 PM
When I was little the couple across the road from us had two siamese and they became our best pals in no time at all. They belonged to an older couple who had no child visitors but the cats were great with us.

They were called Songtam and Chai apparently names of kings of Siam.

CM

dandysmom
20-10-2008, 09:57 PM
You might enjoy the cat books of Doreen Tovey. Starting with Cats in the Belfry. they're a very funny series of life with her Siamese cats Solomon, and Sheba...lots of insight into the Siamese personality...plus good reads!

Natalie
20-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Thank you all, you have all been most wonderfully helpful.

Of course I know she isn't a replacement for willow but I do worry what people think. I know I shouldn't.

Kitten is a boy and will be 17 weeks old when I collect him Saturday. For those of you who have pedigree cats, do you let yours out?

Keep coming with the names they are great :)

We would love an exotic name but the girls couldn't pronounce it lol.

Will keep you waiting till Saturday for pictures

X

calismum
20-10-2008, 10:14 PM
my mothers had two burmese cats which got out and about. The two siamese that befriended us when we were small were often out.

If I ever had a pedigree I'd probably let it out, but I do understand they can be targetted. Depends I suppose what your area is like.

CM

dandysmom
20-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Both my pedigrees and moggies were/are indoor only, because of heavy traffic and the nearby woods: foxes, raccoons, etc.

Moli
20-10-2008, 11:03 PM
All my cats get out if i am home and the weather is nice enough to have the window open, if I am out they are in, but I live in a very quiet area, with just a small country road, and we have a copse opposite our drive which they all go into to....
They never get out after 4pm, and in the winter after 1pm...

Natalie
21-10-2008, 01:37 AM
I live in a cul de sac in a quiet area but it is close to a stream. Excellent mousing spot Belle finds!

I can't always get Belle in when I need to as she is a mouser and one of my elderly neighbours keeps inviting her in for a cuddle and I'm sure for some food. She is beginning to get a bit rounded.

Wish neighbours wouldn't feed her....I have changed her tag to read, please don't feed me. Hope they get the message.

Will have to keep him in until he has had his second lot of jabs anyway. Will see how confident the little man is I think!

dandysmom
21-10-2008, 02:22 AM
I live in a cul de sac in a quiet area but it is close to a stream. Excellent mousing spot Belle finds!

I can't always get Belle in when I need to as she is a mouser and one of my elderly neighbours keeps inviting her in for a cuddle and I'm sure for some food. She is beginning to get a bit rounded.

Wish neighbours wouldn't feed her....I have changed her tag to read, please don't feed me. Hope they get the message.

Will have to keep him in until he has had his second lot of jabs anyway. Will see how confident the little man is I think!

From my limited experience with one Siamese, I'd be willing to bet he will have confidence enough for anything...Siamese think the world is their oyster! My breeder friends had Siamese, and they'd joyfully take on anything....fearless!

PoshPuss
21-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Hope the new boy settles in well Natalie. Looking forward to seeing his name and some pics of the little chap :D
As for going outside, it'll be your choice but these dark days and nights, I'd be a bit wary. Until he feels at home,perhaps just let him out with supervision? Try a harness? Enjoy his company, he'll be a breath of fresh air :D

dinahsmum
21-10-2008, 08:29 AM
I'd keep my boy in for a good while, and seeing as you will be getting him as real winter approaches, I think that means until some nice bright winter/spring days, maybe end of Jan or into Feb.
My girl was a real 'homebody' and would follow me to the end of her territory (very close to the house boundary) and wail piteously if I went further. She wouldn't come any further though.