PDA

View Full Version : Book group poll

dinahsmum
20-10-2008, 10:44 AM
I haven't done this for a long time, so fingers crossed that it works :roll:

We seem to have 12 suggestions, so that doesn't seem too many from which to select the top two. We'll have to be quick though, the offer closes on Friday, so I guess we can give ourselves until close of business (say 5pm BST) Wednesday, leaving Thursday and Friday to purchase the suggested books. We'll read the one with the greatest number of votes first and the second choice second.

Here are the choices

A Thousand Splendid Suns (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails-A+Thousand+Splendid+Suns+-9780747585893.html)

Exit Music (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails-Exit+Music+-9780752893518.html)

The Ghost (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails-The+Ghost+-9780099527497.html)

The Crimson Petal and the White (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails-The+Crimson+Petal+and+the+White+-9781841954318.html)

The Memory Keeper's Daughter (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/SearchWithinCategory.aspx?gq=The+memory+keeper's+D aughter&cat=%5cBooks)

Notes From An Exhibition (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/SearchWithinCategory.aspx?gq=Notes+from+an+exhibit ion&cat=%5cBooks)

On Chesil Beach (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/SearchWithinCategory.aspx?gq=On+chesil+beach&cat=%5cBooks)

Blind Faith (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/SearchWithinCategory.aspx?gq=Blind+faith&cat=%5cBooks)

Half of a Yellow Sun (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/SearchWithinCategory.aspx?gq=Half+of+a+Yellow+Sun&cat=%5cBooks)

Nowhere to Run (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/SearchWithinCategory.aspx?gq=Nowhere+to+Run&cat=%5cBooks)

Nineteen Minutes (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/SearchWithinCategory.aspx?gq=Nineteen+minutes&cat=%5cBooks)

The Time Traveller's Wife (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Travelers-Wife-Audrey-Niffenegger/dp/0224071912/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224495566&sr=1-1)

btw - I note that Amazon have reduced their minimum order for free postage to £5, so anyone who can't make it to Smiths might get a bargain from Amazon.

Now - has this poll thing worked? There's a second step isn't there? Here goes - I'm about to press submit - fingers crossed

mj69
20-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Ok i've voted, can i just add if any one has trouble getting hold of books the website bookdepository is worth a look they do free delivery and are very quick when ive ordered stuff to be delivered here (spain) its come within 3-4 days and usually a bit cheaper than amazon. (sorry didnt think id be allowed to add a link)

calismum
20-10-2008, 09:12 PM
That was so hard, I managed to get my choices down to 4 - then had to really go over them again and again.

Can't wait.

CM

dandysmom
20-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I have to check this list at the library site and/or Amazon for availability before I vote .....

dandysmom
21-10-2008, 02:29 AM
And just did .........

meep
21-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Voted :) These all look like great books, can't wait to get started!

I'm just finishing off the Crimson Petal and the White now, and can't say it would be everyone's cup of tea. It does have some gruesome detailed parts on the in's and out's of prostitution. So I don't mind if it gets dropped, as I believe it was my suggestion!

dinahsmum
23-10-2008, 08:19 AM
So - Notes from an Exhibition and The Time Traveller's Wife.

Any preference for which we do first?

meep
23-10-2008, 09:26 AM
They both look great, but I'd ideally like to read Notes from an Exhibition first. I've already read the Time Traveller's Wife, albeit a while ago, and can't wait to read it again. But I just finished the Crimson Petal last night, another book I had already read, so would like something new in between :) BUt that's just my preference, to be honest, I can't wait to read The Time Traveller's Wife again so if others want to read that first, I'd be happy :)

angieh
23-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Sorry all, I missed out on the vote, but am happy with the choices. I see the winners are tied - and am happy to go with Notes from an Exhibition first as meep suggests.

How are we going to discuss this (or following) books? Sorry to be dense, but have never been part of a readers' group before. Presume we all wait until everyone's finished the book first?

calismum
23-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Sorry all, I missed out on the vote, but am happy with the choices. I see the winners are tied - and am happy to go with Notes from an Exhibition first as meep suggests.

How are we going to discuss this (or following) books? Sorry to be dense, but have never been part of a readers' group before. Presume we all wait until everyone's finished the book first?

I too am happy to go with Notes from an Exhibition first.

No idea how we progress - do we have a limit in which to finish the book?

dandysmom
23-10-2008, 09:56 PM
"Notes" isn't available at the library, but I can get a copy at Amazon....will probably take a week - 10 days; shouldn't be a problem as I'm a fast reader. I too wonder how this is going to work; never been in a book club before ....

angieh
23-10-2008, 10:17 PM
This doesn't help much in the way of going forward, but I do like the "mission" statement made by this group -

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bookgrouplist/

(sorry if it is not allowed to put this link - wasn't sure)

meep
27-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm afraid I haven't managed to pick up the book yet :( But I'm a fast reader too (Eileen and I are trained to read fast, it was our degree subject :lol:)

Do you think we could have a seperate forum entirely for the book group, and then a seperate thread per book? Would keep it nice and simple :)

What date have we picked to finish it by? I think it helps to have a date, and we can maybe extend by a day or two if people have been too busy to read! :D

meep
27-10-2008, 02:00 PM
This doesn't help much in the way of going forward, but I do like the "mission" statement made by this group -

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bookgrouplist/

(sorry if it is not allowed to put this link - wasn't sure)

Angie, that's a great mission statement. Also a nice way of doing it, two books a month (pending the size of the books!)

Do you think we should officially kick off on Nov 1st and try and finish 'Notes on an Exhibition' by Friday 14th November?

calismum
27-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Angie, that's a great mission statement. Also a nice way of doing it, two books a month (pending the size of the books!)

Do you think we should officially kick off on Nov 1st and try and finish 'Notes on an Exhibition' by Friday 14th November?

Sounds good to me. Like the idea they have a schedule. We should try and do thet too. Also noticed that the variety is huge and spans quite a few decades.

If we are reading one every two weeks it is not a huge task.

It would be good if we could have a book section and then a thread for each book as suggested above. That way we know where we are and what we're discussing.

How do we go about requesting something like that?

Kazz
27-10-2008, 07:40 PM
How did I miss this whats the first book choice please.

Kazz
27-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Forget that previous pst I have just seen.....................oh I will be good in a book club I can't even understand a few lines on here....................;) ...................will pop out now and buy both. If I can.

calismum
27-10-2008, 07:45 PM
How did I miss this whats the first book choice please.

Notes on an exhibition.:lol:

angieh
27-10-2008, 07:54 PM
As I already have The Time Traveller's Wife, I have ordered Notes from Waterstones. 40% off. Trouble is I have had to order a couple of other books as well - ones that I have been meaning to read of course, in order to get the free postage. Sad, isn't it. Looking forward to the books being delivered!

Should we ask Mags or go straight to Az about the section/forum/thread thing. I bet a new section will be refused ...........

Anyway that aside - how do you go about discussing a book? Don't want to seem ignorant, but neither do I want to do the sort of stuff I remember from school!!!!

Meep? Eileen? Any pointers to help?

calismum
27-10-2008, 07:58 PM
As I already have The Time Traveller's Wife, I have ordered Notes from Waterstones. 40% off. Trouble is I have had to order a couple of other books as well - ones that I have been meaning to read of course, in order to get the free postage. Sad, isn't it. Looking forward to the books being delivered!

Should we ask Mags or go straight to Az about the section/forum/thread thing. I bet a new section will be refused ...........

Anyway that aside - how do you go about discussing a book? Don't want to seem ignorant, but neither do I want to do the sort of stuff I remember from school!!!!

Found this, what do you think - does it help?

http://www.litlovers.com/howtoread.htm

I had no idea either, but this seems quite helpful.

angieh
27-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks CM - I have bookmarked that - seems a good place to start off.

Mags
27-10-2008, 08:09 PM

You can but try, Angie and ladies.......... make your request to Az in the Site Feedback/Suggestions section.
Just out of interest, how many of you will be in the Book Club?

dandysmom
27-10-2008, 08:17 PM
That was a good link, CM. If we can't have a separate Book Club section, how about putting it in Chat Room, one thread per book, i.e. Book Club - Notes on an Exhibition? Just a thought ......

calismum
27-10-2008, 08:19 PM
That was a good link, CM. If we can't have a separate Book Club section, how about putting it in Chat Room, one thread per book, i.e. Book Club - Notes on an Exhibition? Just a thought ......

Yes, that would work too.

dandysmom
27-10-2008, 08:29 PM
You can but try, Angie and ladies.......... make your request to Az in the Site Feedback/Suggestions section.
Just out of interest, how many of you will be in the Book Club?

Less than a dozen of us, Mags; suspect it's probably not enough to warrant a special section .....so far, it's:

Dinahsmum
Angie
Meep
Kazz
Calismum
and me

Apologies if I've missed anyone..

Kazz
27-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Think Smudgley wanted to get involved too as she has just discovered her love of reading.

angieh
27-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Eileen - would you be willing to ask Az?

dandysmom
27-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Sure, no problem. But I think he's away; hasn't picked up a PM I sent two days ago .......

dinahsmum
28-10-2008, 11:37 AM
The Chat Room/1 thread per book idea sounds fine to me.

I guess we'll have to think up some good Book Club type topics ........ eek! .... but first - let's read and enjoy!

meep
28-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Chat Room / 1 thread sounds good, as DM has said.

It's been so long since I seriously analysed a book, although I'm sure we won't be tackling the books in the same I did during my Uni studies! I would suggest we all keep the following in mind whilst reading:

- themes that emerge
- symbolism that emerges
- questions the book or theme raises
- interesting characterisation
- the plot, and sub-plot
- if it's set in a different time period / country / culture, the way the book portrays this and any thoughts you've had from this.
- the author's tone, which could be interpreted as her attitude toward the theme.

Most importantly enjoy the book, and jot down any things you notice that you might want to discuss! I hope that list isn't too random, or daunting, or perhaps mediocre? It's just a good list of things to consider but we don't have to cover all, and I'm sure each book will present different things to discuss!

I'm more than happy to suggest books from different time periods too :) Depending on what everyone's tastes are, but I always think it's good to read a book occasionally that isn't in line with your normal tastes. You might find some you don't like, but you mind find some a nice surprise that you love!

So are we ok to begin on Saturday 1st November with Notes on an Exhibition, finishing on Friday 14th November? :)

meep
28-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh, also, one thing I always find fascinating when reading a fictional novel is the cultural background to the nove. I know I mentioned that above, but I love thinking about how the novel reveals any cultural norms in its story. I often do a bit of research around the culture it is set in, as it often gives a much deeper understanding of the novel and, for me, a greater enjoyment!

dinahsmum
28-10-2008, 12:18 PM
That sounds good meep. Thank goodness for agile young minds :)
Nov 14 is fine by me but there may be slower readers. So, chirp up everyone - 14 Nov or later?

dinahsmum
28-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Off topic
meep - have you read The Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany? I found it fascinating in terms of giving what seemed an authentic insight into life in Cairo. He's a dentist! - Amazing. If he is as good a dentist as he is an author, his patients must have glorious gnashers

meep
28-10-2008, 12:43 PM
A few novels to consider from different time periods, that are know 'classics':

- Virginia Woolf: "To the Lighthouse" "Mrs. Dalloway"
- Edith Wharton: "The Age of Innocence"
- Aldous Huxley: "Brave New World"
- George Orwell: "1984"
- Toni Morrison: "Beloved"
- Jane Austen: "Emma" "Pride and Prejudice"
- Charlotte Bronte: "Jane Eyre
- Emily Bronte: "Wuthering Heights"

:)

meep
28-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Off topic
meep - have you read The Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany? I found it fascinating in terms of giving what seemed an authentic insight into life in Cairo. He's a dentist! - Amazing. If he is as good a dentist as he is an author, his patients must have glorious gnashers

I haven't actually but it sounds really interesting. Perhaps we could add it to the list ;) Although I do often read two books at once so could maybe pick up a copy anyway when I head into town this weekend... Thanks for the rec :)

angieh
28-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I've had notification from Waterstone's that my copy of "Notes ...." has been dispatched, so with any luck I should get it by 1st November. Whether 2 weeks is long enough - with me depends on whether I get "hooked" or not!

Thanks for the pointers meep - I do agree with your suggestion of reading books of a sort that you wouldn't normally choose. I used to find offers like 3 for the price of 2 really good for that - get two books you really want and the extra one go as far "off" as you like!

dandysmom
28-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Chat Room / 1 thread sounds good, as DM has said.

It's been so long since I seriously analysed a book, although I'm sure we won't be tackling the books in the same I did during my Uni studies! I would suggest we all keep the following in mind whilst reading:

- themes that emerge
- symbolism that emerges
- questions the book or theme raises
- interesting characterisation
- the plot, and sub-plot
- if it's set in a different time period / country / culture, the way the book portrays this and any thoughts you've had from this.
- the author's tone, which could be interpreted as her attitude toward the theme.

Most importantly enjoy the book, and jot down any things you notice that you might want to discuss! I hope that list isn't too random, or daunting, or perhaps mediocre? It's just a good list of things to consider but we don't have to cover all, and I'm sure each book will present different things to discuss!

I'm more than happy to suggest books from different time periods too :) Depending on what everyone's tastes are, but I always think it's good to read a book occasionally that isn't in line with your normal tastes. You might find some you don't like, but you mind find some a nice surprise that you love!

So are we ok to begin on Saturday 1st November with Notes on an Exhibition, finishing on Friday 14th November? :)

I haven't had a shipping notice from Amazon yet, but sure it'll be here in time; Nov.1st to 14th is fine with me. Haven't heard from Az yet re the separate section ....

meep
28-10-2008, 04:36 PM
We can hold off a bit longer from Nov 1st, no point starting if none of us have the book :) I'll head into town on the Sat to pick up the book. If people dont have it by the 1st we could extend the deadline?

angieh
28-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Fine ....... we just need to be sure everyone checks in to say "Yes, I'm ready to go" or "No - hang on a bit"!

calismum
28-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Yes, best wait until everyone has it.

I bought mine yesterday, so ready whenever everyone else is.

angieh
28-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Dinahsmum
Angie
Meep
Kazz
Calismum
and me

Apologies if I've missed anyone..

Kazz also mentioned that Smudgley may be interested.

7 - is that our group then? Quite a good number I would have thought.

Anyone else interested???

(had we better PM Smudgley???)

dandysmom
28-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Good idea. Will you do it or should I?

angieh
28-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I will if you like. I'll do it now!

meep
29-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I'll pick up the book this weekend so will be good to go on Saturday. Really looking forward to getting started :D

angieh
29-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Just to let you know that I PMd Smudgley yesterday evening and she has replied as follows. I am sure she will not mind me sharing her answer with you -

"Thanks for asking. But I think I'll give book club a miss, I'm not a big reader although I did recently read an autobiography which I enjoyed & it was the first book I'd read in years. But I don't think I'll join book club as I don't have much reading time, I work full time & have 2 children & we are working on the house and with all the rescue cat stuff my time is pretty much filled!"

So there will be 6 of us. Looking forward to my book being delivered - will it come today?

dinahsmum
29-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Notes from an Exhibition has just arrived, so I will be able to make a start soon. I note that one of his other books is The Cat Sanctuary - if we like Notes then surely The Cat Sanctuary is made for Catsey!

meep
29-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for letting us know Angie. It's a shame Smudgley won't be joining us, but 6 is still a good number :)

The Cat Sanctuary sounds perfect DM! We can see how Notes goes ;) If we like how he writes then there's no reason why we shouldn't go for that too!

mj69
30-10-2008, 09:14 AM
morning all,

well ive got moved to uk and sort of settled. Ive bought the books and im fine with reading notes first.

i want to join the book club so thats another one for you numbers.

dinahsmum
30-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Hello
Glad the move went OK. Hope the *sort of settling* continues! You'll have to post a note about your adopted cat.

I've read the first 2 chapters of Notes. I'm not hooked yet, but 2 chapters isn't enough to judge. There is some lovely use of language "... but his brain was itchy". Isn't that a great expression for being agitated?

angieh
30-10-2008, 11:28 AM
sssssssssssh DM - I don't have my copy YET!

Welcome mj69 - glad you want to join the club!

dandysmom
30-10-2008, 04:20 PM
:smt039 Welcome, mj69!

meep
30-10-2008, 05:09 PM
I'll create a thread in the chat room on Saturday if that's the official day we're beginning? I suggest it would be good that we don't mention our thoughts on it whilst others are reading; I know I like to have a completely fresh experience of reading it. Although it will be tempting to talk about the book as we're reading it! Just save up all ideas till the date we decide to begin discussing it ;)

dandysmom
30-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Meep, Angie brought up a good point I'd overlooked: if we use the Chat Room replys won't appear in New Posts . So Entertainment seems the better choice.....

angieh
30-10-2008, 09:00 PM
...... and that is what Az has suggested we use!

See http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=30013

meep
31-10-2008, 10:17 AM
All sounds good to me! So Entertainment section it is then. If we begin every books thread with "Book Club:" then hopefully we'll be able to spot them amongst the others? :)

dandysmom
31-10-2008, 04:02 PM
I agree - Book Club + name of book should do it! Still waiting for my copy!!

angieh
31-10-2008, 04:42 PM
I am also still waiting! Waterstone's have never been this slow! I am actually waiting for several deliveries of various things. Has anyone else in UK noticed problems with their post over the last week or so?

angieh
01-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Woooopeeee! My book has arrived and I have started reading it!

dinahsmum
01-11-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm about two thirds through.
Nice fire, bag of sugared almonds and a book club book. Mmmm