PDA

View Full Version : Beauty's not very well

Phoenix
19-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Today she's hardly eaten anything, not gone out (apart for a quick drink out of the bird bath then needed help coming back in) and been generally not right! :( She's been hiding for most of today, not sleeping in her usual spots, and generally been not right. In fact she no longer enjoys the things she used to. :(

She's going in to the vets tomorrow so I won't be on at all tomorrow.

EDIT: And just to clarify I'm not trying to get sympathy about Beauty, I'm just letting you all know how she is.

angieh
19-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Beauty can have all the sympathy she needs RCR, as can you. So sorry to hear that she's not doing well. I hope that you and your vet can come to a resolution tomorrow that is the best for her and for you too. I will be thinking about you both tomorrow. ((((HUGS))))

Phoenix
19-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Beauty can have all the sympathy she needs RCR, as can you. So sorry to hear that she's not doing well. I hope that you and your vet can come to a resolution tomorrow that is the best for her and for you too. I will be thinking about you both tomorrow. ((((HUGS))))

Thanks angieh! :cry: I'm close to tears because of it! :cry:

Natalie
19-10-2008, 08:23 PM
I totally understand what you and Beauty are going through.

Only you really know her so you must tell the vet everything so you can both make an imformed decision on future care together.

Thinking of you both (((HUGS)))

Phoenix
19-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I totally understand what you and Beauty are going through.

Only you really know her so you must tell the vet everything so you can both make an imformed decision on future care together.

Thinking of you both (((HUGS)))

Thanks Matron! :cry: I knew things weren't right yesterday on her return from the vet! :cry: :(

dandysmom
19-10-2008, 08:51 PM
No one knows your own cat like you do. My thoughts and prayers will be with you both tomorrow........

HappyKatz
20-10-2008, 02:00 PM
So sorry to hear that Beauty isn't feeling well... :(
Please make sure to update us on how shes doing :smt049
Unlimited -feel well- vibes for sweet Beauty!

PoshPuss
20-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Sorry to hear Beauty is not well :(
Hope she's better today. Big hugs from Posh and me :-)

sammy
20-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Sorry to hear about Beauty, do hope she's a little better today.......

angieh
20-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Thinking about Beauty and you today, RCR.

I had a lovely dream about Beauty last night.

dandysmom
20-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Any news yet, RCR?

meep
20-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Sorry to hear about Beauty RCR :( My thoughts and healing vibes are with you, I do hope the vet has good news and she gets all better quickly.

Phoenix
21-10-2008, 07:30 PM
The update is, the vet thinks it's constipation, prescribed her katalax (we don't think it is, she's had constipation before and she hasn't been acting like that! We didn't see the vet we usually see when we take Beauty in, he was a different vet) and for some reason she started being as sick as the proverbial dog :shock: :( It was too late at night for us to phone the vet back, so we had to leave it and so far, Beauty's appetite has picked up a little, no vomiting as far as we know, she went outside a couple of times today and she's seemed a little brighter. Still no luck with picking her up or stroking her for longer than a few seconds.

EDIT: It wasn't looking hopeful yesterday, she was really very poorly! :cry: When we took her to the vets the vet discovered another lump in her stomach/abdomen area. If it isn't constipation then God knows what it is because we don't! We don't think it's Beauty being constipated because Beauty has been leaving rather large smelly presents in the bath, they look perfectly normal (apart from her accident in the carrier on the way home from the vets on Saturday)

Sorry about the long post :oops:

yola
21-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Is her poo runny? I ask because I had read up on constipation in babies when my little son was tiny and if they (animals or people) are severely constipated then the poo finds a way out and can at times turn almost liquid.

Sorry to be so graphic but I think you need to keep going back until you have an answer you are satisfied with. If you think your pet's health is being compromised by a vet who is either not bothered or not correctly identifying the issues then you owe it to Beauty to investigate fully what the problem is.

You say she has an abdominal lump? What did the vet propose about this? Does he think it's compacted fecal matter or does he suspect another blockage or a tumour? Did they give you any indication?

Was Beauty sick last night then? Did you call the vet today about it to check what it might be? Sorry for the 100 questions but you really need to be questioning your vet carefully about all of this to arm yourself with as much information as possible!

Natalie
21-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Sorry to hear Beauty is still very much up and down with her health at the moment.

I agree with Yola. Sometimes cats and indeed humans have very runny loose stools when you are constipated. It's called overflow.

Cat's with CRF do get constipated and it can make them very poorly. Is she drinking much?

Hope things are resolved for Beauty and for you very soon ((HUGS))

Phoenix
21-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Is her poo runny? I ask because I had read up on constipation in babies when my little son was tiny and if they (animals or people) are severely constipated then the poo finds a way out and can at times turn almost liquid.

Sorry to be so graphic but I think you need to keep going back until you have an answer you are satisfied with. If you think your pet's health is being compromised by a vet who is either not bothered or not correctly identifying the issues then you owe it to Beauty to investigate fully what the problem is.

You say she has an abdominal lump? What did the vet propose about this? Does he think it's compacted fecal matter or does he suspect another blockage or a tumour? Did they give you any indication?

Was Beauty sick last night then? Did you call the vet today about it to check what it might be? Sorry for the 100 questions but you really need to be questioning your vet carefully about all of this to arm yourself with as much information as possible!

She was sick all yesterday evening, hence my absence (clearing up Beauty's sick) I'll be phoning the vet up if Beauty gets worse again tomorrow, like I said she has improved a bit since last night. The vet is convinced it's constipation, but I don't think so because if it is, why was the katalax making her that sick? :?

Her poos in the bath were perfectly normal, no harder or softer than they normally are. There was only the incident on the way home from the vets on Saturday that was abnormal.

Elaine
21-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I agree with what Yola has said and asked.

When you say in the original post that you had to help her indoors, what exactly do you mean by that? Was she having trouble walking?
It may well be that due to the CRF she now has muscle wastage and or a potasium deficiency.
With regards to the vomitting, I have told you before about the excess tummmy acid build up which makes them sick and not want to eat, its a catch 22 and you must try to combat the tummy acidity in order to help get her eating again, once she begins to eat she will feel better.
How do her paws feel? Do they feel cold and clammy? If so, that combined with her hiding herself away, not eating etc may even indicate anemia. Again this is something that must be treated.
Did you ever read the links i sent you? Ask your vet as many questions as possible. RCR you really have to get clued up about her illness in order to be able to help her. Many vets will not offer all the help and support you and Beauty need if you do not make the point of becoming more knowledgable and informed yourself.
Now i really dont mean that to sound harsh but we have spoken about this many times now.
It is by no means an easy ride, having a CRF cat and it is an emotional roller coaster but when you first posted she was in early stage CRF then a few weeks back you pm'd me her kidney values which indicated mid stage CRF and your vet has offered you nothing but prescription food for her. Your vet should, I feel, have given you all the options of meds etc in order for you to decide the right course of action for her.
Each CRF cat is entirely different, some do well on prescription food alone while others need meds to keep them stable as well as the love of a good owner.

Phoenix
21-10-2008, 08:19 PM
I agree with what Yola has said and asked.

When you say in the original post that you had to help her indoors, what exactly do you mean by that? Was she having trouble walking?
It may well be that due to the CRF she now has muscle wastage and or a potasium deficiency.
With regards to the vomitting, I have told you before about the excess tummmy acid build up which makes them sick and not want to eat, its a catch 22 and you must try to combat the tummy acidity in order to help get her eating again, once she begins to eat she will feel better.
How do her paws feel? Do they feel cold and clammy? If so, that combined with her hiding herself away, not eating etc may even indicate anemia. Again this is something that must be treated.
Did you ever read the links i sent you? Ask your vet as many questions as possible. RCR you really have to get clued up about her illness in order to be able to help her. Many vets will not offer all the help and support you and Beauty need if you do not make the point of becoming more knowledgable and informed yourself.
Now i really dont mean that to sound harsh but we have spoken about this many times now.
It is by no means an easy ride, having a CRF cat and it is an emotional roller coaster but when you first posted she was in early stage CRF then a few weeks back you pm'd me her kidney values which indicated mid stage CRF and your vet has offered you nothing but prescription food for her. Your vet should, I feel, have given you all the options of meds etc in order for you to decide the right course of action for her.
Each CRF cat is entirely different, some do well on prescription food alone while others need meds to keep them stable as well as the love of a good owner.

What I mean was, there's a small step going inside and Beauty was having a little trouble getting up that (possibly her arthritis) Up until Saturday Beauty was doing fine on her prescription food. She's had a urine sample taken, but the vet we saw yesterday won't do anything more until he's got her results on Friday. I'll be phoning up tomorrow to try to get Beauty in before Friday to see the vet who usually sees her to get a second opinion.

Elaine
21-10-2008, 08:22 PM
I personally feel you need a new vet all together as neither of them seem to be doing very much for Beauty.

Phoenix
21-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I personally feel you need a new vet all together as neither of them seem to be doing very much for Beauty.

The only other vets here is apparently even worse for misdiagnosing! :shock: I'll see what they have got to say tomorrow when I phone up to try to get her in. I can't really do much at the moment, the vets will both be closed apart from emergencies.

Elaine
21-10-2008, 08:26 PM
What I mean was, there's a small step going inside and Beauty was having a little trouble getting up that (possibly her arthritis) Up until Saturday Beauty was doing fine on her prescription food. She's had a urine sample taken, but the vet we saw yesterday won't do anything more until he's got her results on Friday. I'll be phoning up tomorrow to try to get Beauty in before Friday to see the vet who usually sees her to get a second opinion.

Possibly her arthritis, possibly a potasium deficiency, muscle wastage of anemia, possibly a combination of any.
Why is it taking so long for the urine test results? They are normally done inhouse on the same day as they are generally looking to see how dilute the urine is to determine the kidney function.

Elaine
21-10-2008, 08:28 PM
The only other vets here is apparently even worse for misdiagnosing! :shock: I'll see what they have got to say tomorrow when I phone up to try to get her in. I can't really do much at the moment, the vets will both be closed apart from emergencies.

Why dont you just try the other vet and make your own mind up or just call them and find out exactly how knowledgeable they are about CRF. It really cannt do any harm now can it?

Phoenix
21-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Possibly her arthritis, possibly a potasium deficiency, muscle wastage of anemia, possibly a combination of any.
Why is it taking so long for the urine test results? They are normally done inhouse on the same day as they are generally looking to see how dilute the urine is to determine the kidney function.

Who knows? :? If the vet we normally see had been in (possibly he was out at an emergency, possibly away generally, who knows?) then I reckon we'd have the results by now. I think I've already said this but it was a different vet. I spoke to my mum yesterday about Beauty and she recons it won't be long before Beauty's no longer here :( :cry:

Elaine
21-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Who knows? :? If the vet we normally see had been in (possibly he was out at an emergency, possibly away generally, who knows?) then I reckon we'd have the results by now. I think I've already said this but it was a different vet. I spoke to my mum yesterday about Beauty and she recons it won't be long before Beauty's no longer here :( :cry:

http://www.felinecrf.org/coping_with_crf.htm

Elaine
21-10-2008, 08:39 PM
"There are persons who shape their lives by the fear of death, and persons
who shape their lives by the joy of life. The former live dying; the latter
die living".
Horace Kallen

dandysmom
21-10-2008, 08:54 PM
That's distressing news about Beauty's health. I'm not happy with the apparent lack of information you're getting from the vet; they don't sound particularly helpful from your description. What a pity there isn't another good vet you could switch to. I hope the urine results Friday will be helpful and perhaps they'll have a better idea of what is causing these problems and can offer you concrete suggestions to improve her health. Poor Beauty; hope she's eating and feeling a bit better today .....

Phoenix
21-10-2008, 08:58 PM
I remember there's a song that goes:

"Don't worry about the future, it is known that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum."

I'm the former of that quote that you said :oops:

Anyway, Mum has never had a CRF cat (girl or boy)

If it comes to the worst and Beauty's kidneys are getting worse, then considering how she's been, we've all discussed it (my family I mean) and we decided if she's really bad then rather that having to take her to the vets for XYZ length of time and really stressing her out, maybe even causing her health to deteriorate quickly, it might be kinder to let her go.

She certaintly won't have years left, maybe not even months! I've posted above how we all feel about what's happened!

Anyway, Beauty and I are going to bed now. Night!

charlilou
21-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I do hope your beautiful little one feels better soon.
I remember being worried about whether we were going to have to have our Meeko pts a few years back as he was very ill and kidneys were failing due to a horrible neighbour locking him in her garare in a very hot July with no food or water for 3 days. Thankfully they went on holiday and our neighbour had keys to her house and found him.

Its horrible to see them so ill, thankfully he's much brighter now and a house cat.
Your beauty is just like her name, a beauty

yola
21-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Sweetheart - I just wanted to add, please don't think we're having a go at you, we're just trying to help you push for the right information to give you the tools to deal with Beauty's illness.

I a bit gobby at the best of times and I will harangue people to get them to tell me what I want them to tell me - even if I have to stamp my feet to get it. I suspect Elaine's the same ;)

If none of your vets will help you keep trying to find one that will. I also realise that all these things are very expensive and (especially at the moment) money can be very tight. The worst thing you can do is give up on Beauty when there is a chance that with the right diet and medication she can live for months if not years longer.

Try and remain positive until you 100% have the evidence that leads you to having to make 'that' decision.

meep
22-10-2008, 09:49 AM
RCR I'm so sorry to hear of your worries for Beauty, and your vets bad handling of the whole situation. I can wholly sympathise. My wee one, Chaska, was diagnosed with 'some sort of kidney problem' by the vet when we noticed she had lost weight and wasn't grooming herself as much. She was given an antibiotic shot and prescription food. The vet didn't say anything else, and didn't even mention the words Chronic Renal Failure. She said "Chaska may pull through she may not". This was before I'd really found out about CRF on Catsey, and so I was clueless. A month later Chaska had only gotten worse, and after another two vet visits we decided to PTS. I don't mean that that is the only option, but I felt at the end of the whole experience that our vet kept us very poorly informed, didn't discuss any options, and it was only Chaska had gone that I really spoke to people like Elaine about CRF and discovered the in's and out's. As Elaine said, every cat with CRF is different. Chaska had always been a 'weak' cat, and was only 7 - she was the runt of her feral cat litter, so never the healthiest of cats anyway. But I feel, had the vet given me all the information instead of fobbing me off with the usual prescription, I would have been more aware and able to help Chaska, and make more informed decisions.

But you do know the in's and out's of CRF. You have spoken with Elaine and other members several times who have all given wonderful advice that I only wish I'd known when Chaska was first diagnosed with 'kidney problems'.

You know Beauty best, and you may be right that she is simply in too much pain and suffering and you'll know when the time is right to let her go. But it breaks my heart to think that another poor cat and loving owner could make that decision without having been given the full, complete facts on their cats health and the option available.

As Yola has said, I as well as everyone else, have only said all this to support you and show my sympathy and concern.

This really must be a hard time for you, I know how much Beauty means to you. I hope that whatever decision you make, you and Beauty are both happy. Dealing with a CRF cat isn't easy, and dealing with an unhelpful vet isn't easy either, so combined it must be very stressful. But if you have it in you at the next vet visit, I would suggest you take a long a list of questions, suggested by the members here, and get some answers from the vet!

Good luck RCR, and gentle pets and purrs for Beauty.

Juli
22-10-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Beauty is not well at the moment, sending best wishes for a speedy recovery

Phoenix
22-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Sweetheart - I just wanted to add, please don't think we're having a go at you, we're just trying to help you push for the right information to give you the tools to deal with Beauty's illness.

I a bit gobby at the best of times and I will harangue people to get them to tell me what I want them to tell me - even if I have to stamp my feet to get it. I suspect Elaine's the same ;)

If none of your vets will help you keep trying to find one that will. I also realise that all these things are very expensive and (especially at the moment) money can be very tight. The worst thing you can do is give up on Beauty when there is a chance that with the right diet and medication she can live for months if not years longer.

Try and remain positive until you 100% have the evidence that leads you to having to make 'that' decision.

RCR I'm so sorry to hear of your worries for Beauty, and your vets bad handling of the whole situation. I can wholly sympathise. My wee one, Chaska, was diagnosed with 'some sort of kidney problem' by the vet when we noticed she had lost weight and wasn't grooming herself as much. She was given an antibiotic shot and prescription food. The vet didn't say anything else, and didn't even mention the words Chronic Renal Failure. She said "Chaska may pull through she may not". This was before I'd really found out about CRF on Catsey, and so I was clueless. A month later Chaska had only gotten worse, and after another two vet visits we decided to PTS. I don't mean that that is the only option, but I felt at the end of the whole experience that our vet kept us very poorly informed, didn't discuss any options, and it was only Chaska had gone that I really spoke to people like Elaine about CRF and discovered the in's and out's. As Elaine said, every cat with CRF is different. Chaska had always been a 'weak' cat, and was only 7 - she was the runt of her feral cat litter, so never the healthiest of cats anyway. But I feel, had the vet given me all the information instead of fobbing me off with the usual prescription, I would have been more aware and able to help Chaska, and make more informed decisions.

But you do know the in's and out's of CRF. You have spoken with Elaine and other members several times who have all given wonderful advice that I only wish I'd known when Chaska was first diagnosed with 'kidney problems'.

You know Beauty best, and you may be right that she is simply in too much pain and suffering and you'll know when the time is right to let her go. But it breaks my heart to think that another poor cat and loving owner could make that decision without having been given the full, complete facts on their cats health and the option available.

As Yola has said, I as well as everyone else, have only said all this to support you and show my sympathy and concern.

This really must be a hard time for you, I know how much Beauty means to you. I hope that whatever decision you make, you and Beauty are both happy. Dealing with a CRF cat isn't easy, and dealing with an unhelpful vet isn't easy either, so combined it must be very stressful. But if you have it in you at the next vet visit, I would suggest you take a long a list of questions, suggested by the members here, and get some answers from the vet!

Good luck RCR, and gentle pets and purrs for Beauty.

Well, today (and later on last night) Beauty could tolerate being stroked, but she still seems to be in a lot of pain when picked up. She'll hunch up then try to get away from the "hurt" ie the pain that I'm putting her in by picking her up. I'm taking her in on Friday and hopefully our usual vet will be there. Out of all the vets I've seen with Beauty, he's probably the best one.

I know you all are trying to help, but if Beauty's in so much pain we can't even pick her up (before she became ill she'd plead to get picked up and cuddled) if there's nothing more the vet can do then I feel it might be kinder to let her go.

I'm not wanting to have to end her life in that way, nor am I going to if she'll get better, but what I'm saying - and don't take this the wrong way - if she's in that much pain we think it would be kinder to put her out of her misery. Blame me for it if you like, I certaintly feel as if I should do more for her, but if it has to be then it has to be. :cry:

EDIT: Forgot to say this but her appetite has picked up a bit yesterday, dropped a little today and so far she hasn't vomited at all.

Elaine
22-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Well, today (and later on last night) Beauty could tolerate being stroked, but she still seems to be in a lot of pain when picked up. She'll hunch up then try to get away from the "hurt" ie the pain that I'm putting her in by picking her up. I'm taking her in on Friday and hopefully our usual vet will be there. Out of all the vets I've seen with Beauty, he's probably the best one.

I know you all are trying to help, but if Beauty's in so much pain we can't even pick her up (before she became ill she'd plead to get picked up and cuddled) if there's nothing more the vet can do then I feel it might be kinder to let her go.

I'm not wanting to have to end her life in that way, nor am I going to if she'll get better, but what I'm saying - and don't take this the wrong way - if she's in that much pain we think it would be kinder to put her out of her misery. Blame me for it if you like, I certaintly feel as if I should do more for her, but if it has to be then it has to be. :cry:

EDIT: Forgot to say this but her appetite has picked up a bit yesterday, dropped a little today and so far she hasn't vomited at all.

Please stop trying to pick her up and just stroke her where she may be at that time. Imagine how you would feel if you were feeling sick, squeemish and hadnt eaten very much then some one comes from behind and gives you a squeeze. It wouldnt be nice and you too would struggle to get away.
Can I also suggest that you look through the CRF site and print off anything that you feel is relevant to Beauties case and highlight the bits you want the vet to address. It's often easier that way.
All the best.

Phoenix
22-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Please stop trying to pick her up and just stroke her where she may be at that time. Imagine how you would feel if you were feeling sick, squeemish and hadnt eaten very much then some one comes from behind and gives you a squeeze. It wouldnt be nice and you too would struggle to get away.
Can I also suggest that you look through the CRF site and print off anything that you feel is relevant to Beauties case and highlight the bits you want the vet to address. It's often easier that way.
All the best.

Yep, even if I have to go to the local library to do it! (our printer's being tempermental today)

I've stopped trying to pick her up since she showed me she was in pain this morning, she can tolerate a few strokes but I've found if I try stroking her sides she flinches away. When I go to the vets on Friday I'll get the vet to check her over. Again.

yola
22-10-2008, 08:09 PM
You may well be right and in the end you will have to make the decision that I know you're fighting against (understandably). However, you owe it to both of you to be fully familiar with the facts. Your vet - the one you trust - will hopefully help you by assessing her condition, but try to be in a position to make the decision based on your own knowledge also.

It's just that it'll make it easier for you to deal with when/if that decision needs to be made.

Phoenix
22-10-2008, 08:12 PM
You may well be right and in the end you will have to make the decision that I know you're fighting against (understandably). However, you owe it to both of you to be fully familiar with the facts. Your vet - the one you trust - will hopefully help you by assessing her condition, but try to be in a position to make the decision based on your own knowledge also.

It's just that it'll make it easier for you to deal with when/if that decision needs to be made.

I feel I owe it to Beauty to somehow magically make her better :( :oops:

yola
22-10-2008, 08:16 PM
You can't - that's the sad thing about it!

I know that we all want our pets to live forever; to be fit and healthy. But Beauty has a condition that means she will never be well. Nevertheless it needs to be managed with sensitivity and with a keen eye.

Beauty is counting on you to make sure she doesn't suffer unnecessarily but at the same time to look for signs of hope and wellbeing and react accordingly.

Elaine
22-10-2008, 08:26 PM
You know, I used to joke with friends that my dear old Winston was imortal, especially when he was doing well, but ofcourse he wasnt.
I also used to say things like, if I could give him two new kidneys then i would, but again realistically I would never have put him through that.
Part of Beauties condition is that you are ofcourse waiting for them to die in a sense. Its not an easy condition for owners or animals. I have read,heard and spoken with owners of cats who looked like they were almost on the brink but once the condition was managed and stabalised, the cats have gone on to live months if not years.

Phoenix
22-10-2008, 08:32 PM
You know, I used to joke with friends that my dear old Winston was imortal, especially when he was doing well, but ofcourse he wasnt.
I also used to say things like, if I could give him two new kidneys then i would, but again realistically I would never have put him through that.
Part of Beauties condition is that you are ofcourse waiting for them to die in a sense. Its not an easy condition for owners or animals. I have read,heard and spoken with owners of cats who looked like they were almost on the brink but once the condition was managed and stabalised, the cats have gone on to live months if not years.

I can hope, but if Beauty's hurting as much as I think she is and if the vet can't do any more then that's it. That sounds cruel, reading back, but if nobody can do any more for Beauty, would it be fair to keep her going? Taking Beauty in on Friday so I'll know how her kidneys are doing then and I can find out if the vet can do anything for Beauty's pain.

yola
22-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Will the vet carry out a kidney reading and give you the results there and then to enable you both to make a decision on her future treatment?

Why wait until Friday if she's really showing signs of distress and acute pain?

Please pardon me for being blunt - because it's late and this dialogue has really gone on for quite some time without resolution; but you need to grasp the nettle and face reality and get your cat seen by a vet who can help you move forward. Procrastinating is only potentially causing your cat to suffer when simple medication might help ease her discomfort!!!

Moli
22-10-2008, 10:47 PM
I agree Yola, Beauty needs treatment now!

dandysmom
22-10-2008, 10:51 PM
And I ............

Natalie
23-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Totally agree. Friday is too late to wait.

meep
23-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I agree, wholeheartedly. Beauty has been in and out of the vets these past two weeks and there is never any resolution, or cure for what is wrong with her. Take her in today, emergency appointment, and demand the vet give her a thorough looking over and don't leave until medication has been prescribed and you have the full facts. Beauty should be coming away from the vets feeling better, not getting progressively worse with every visit.

Elaine
23-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I fully agree with what has been said.

Phoenix
23-10-2008, 07:30 PM
I fully agree with what has been said.

I won't wait until tomorrow evening, I'll take her in tomorrow morning and I'll wait there until Beauty gets seen by my preferred vet (NOT the one who saw her last time, I didn't really like his attitude)

Tried phoning up as soon as I could today and they couldn't fit her in today.

EDIT: So far today the only thing she's decided she'll take is milk. Nothing else. (I know they shouldn't have milk but Beauty wouldn't take anything else, couldn't get her katalax down her, tried coaxing her with turkey, she ate a little but then lost interest)

I'll update you all tomorrow when I get back (I'll probably be coming on here to update you all tomorrow evening)

Elaine
23-10-2008, 08:16 PM
I won't wait until tomorrow evening, I'll take her in tomorrow morning and I'll wait there until Beauty gets seen by my preferred vet (NOT the one who saw her last time, I didn't really like his attitude)

Tried phoning up as soon as I could today and they couldn't fit her in today.

EDIT: So far today the only thing she's decided she'll take is milk. Nothing else. (I know they shouldn't have milk but Beauty wouldn't take anything else, couldn't get her katalax down her, tried coaxing her with turkey, she ate a little but then lost interest)

I'll update you all tomorrow when I get back (I'll probably be coming on here to update you all tomorrow evening)

Did you tell them that you thought she was in great pain? Didnt they have any emergency appointments? Or why didnt you make an appointment for as early as you could, i.e. first thing tomorrow morning.

Moli
23-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I have a few times rang my vets and been told to bring whoever in right away if I am worried....

Elaine
23-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Is it Swanvale vet that you are registered with?

Natalie
24-10-2008, 04:34 AM
Not quiet sure what's going on here but communication is lacking.

No animal should be in pain. There isn't any need for it in this day of age. It doesn't matter what Vet it is whether you like them or not they should have seen beauty and eased her pain at least. That is out of order.

Most vets operate by having an open surgery where you go, book in and wait your turn to be seen and/or make an appointment at a particlar time during say afternoon surgery.
I pray for Beauty that her pain and suffering will be addressed sooner rather than later because that little girl has waited far too long enough.

meep
24-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Not quiet sure what's going on here but communication is lacking.

No animal should be in pain. There isn't any need for it in this day of age. It doesn't matter what Vet it is whether you like them or not they should have seen beauty and eased her pain at least. That is out of order.

Most vets operate by having an open surgery where you go, book in and wait your turn to be seen and/or make an appointment at a particlar time during say afternoon surgery.
I pray for Beauty that her pain and suffering will be addressed sooner rather than later because that little girl has waited far too long enough.

I wholeheartedly agree.

When I first called the vet to book an appointment with Chaska (at that stage I thought she may just have an infection, didn't know it was CRF) and described her symptoms, rather than book an appointment, the receptionist said to coem in right away as it sounded serious and didn't want to leave it overnight. That is the right attitude.

I can't believe a vetinary surgery wouldn't allow you to bring Beauty in if she's a known CRF cat with all the warning signs, and in a huge amount of pain. All vets operate emergency appointment policies.

RCR, I know you're probably going to the vet this morning now, but you really need to be asserting yourself and stressing the severe condition that Beauty is in. You're not getting anywhere like this.

Moli
24-10-2008, 09:20 AM
I am hoping you will get some positive results today. and they will be able to ease Beautys pain....

sammy
24-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm afraid when my Mizzie was really poorly I didn't even bother phoning, just went straight there and stood at the counter in floods of tears........a bit embarrassing, but they can hardly ignore you then. Sadly, it didn't help Mizzie in the end, I so hope for a better outcome for Beauty.

PoshPuss
24-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Please put Beauty's distress above everything today RCR. I know if she were mine I wouldn't take a brush off, I'd be there in person, asserting myself. If your vet practice aren't taking much notice (even the 'kind' vet) then go elsewhere, ASAP! After all it's YOUR cat and YOUR money.
I can't believe they are delaying the appointment, or that an emergency can't be dealt with promptly.

If you have been seen this morning then I wish you well and hope they have given you good treatment.

I think Catsey girls here have been saying that this needs for you to have a strong voice. It isn't easy to do if its not in your nature so take some back-up; your mum, or a confident friend. But above all, do what's best for Beauty now and be her advocate.

angieh
24-10-2008, 11:36 AM
I do so hope that Beauty has been seen one way or another. It is hard for you RCR, but your love for Beauty must be your motivation.

Phoenix
24-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Is it Swanvale vet that you are registered with?

Yes it's Swanvale vet we take her to.

The vet has seen her now, and he's prescribed paraffin and said to keep her on her katalax until Monday. If she hasn't improved then I'm taking her in again on Monday and they are going to try something else.

If there's still no improvement then they are going to admit her to the hospital and run some tests. They said it could be that it's a tumour (considering this is the second time this has happened - not Beauty being in pain but her constipation) so they want to try to find out what's wrong asap.

Elaine
24-10-2008, 07:24 PM
So how is Beauty and what did the vet say?

Phoenix
24-10-2008, 07:28 PM
So how is Beauty and what did the vet say?

Sorry - just been editing the post to say :oops:

Elaine
24-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Constipation is very common in CRF cats. They cannot not retain enough fluids nor does their intake match the out pit of fluids in the body. The body then has to absorb as much fluid as it can from all over the body hence the constipation.
What did they say about her pain?
I have to be honest with you RCR, if Beauty is in as much discomfort as you say she is then I really dont think much of your vet and I really would be taking her else where and fast.

Phoenix
24-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Constipation is very common in CRF cats. They cannot not retain enough fluids nor does their intake match the out pit of fluids in the body. The body then has to absorb as much fluid as it can from all over the body hence the constipation.
What did they say about her pain?
I have to be honest with you RCR, if Beauty is in as much discomfort as you say she is then I really dont think much of your vet and I really would be taking her else where and fast.

They think the pain is due to her constipation. The vet has broken the lumps of poo up and prescribed paraffin as well as her katalax, he's reluctant to prescribe the other stuff (can't remember what it's called) until he knows the parraffin won't work. The katalax on it's own hasn't really done much, but hopefully the paraffin will clear it.

He did say it could be a tumour, but he doesn't want to say for definate.

Elaine
24-10-2008, 08:12 PM
When Winston was constipated my vet at that time, which was not a very good or supportive vet, told me that if the katalax didnt work they would have to take Winston in for a manual evacuation. It worked. The vet also told me not, under any circumstances, to wait more than 2 or 3 days. If he was to become constipated again I was to have him into the vets on the 3rd day of no poo at the very latest. I always went by that rule.

Phoenix
24-10-2008, 08:19 PM
When Winston was constipated my vet at that time, which was not a very good or supportive vet, told me that if the katalax didnt work they would have to take Winston in for a manual evacuation. It worked. The vet also told me not, under any circumstances, to wait more than 2 or 3 days. If he was to become constipated again I was to have him into the vets on the 3rd day of no poo at the very latest. I always went by that rule.

As I was just saying to Dandysmom in a PM, if the vet we are with still isn't going to say exactly what's going on with her apart from constipation then I'll do a "trial run" with the other vets here. From what I've heard they are not the best vets to be with, but if I need a second opinion then they might be the only others I could get to. It's either that or take Beauty into Beverley or Hull (they are a bit too far to go if Beauty needs to see a vet pronto though)

Moli
24-10-2008, 08:19 PM
I was the same with Murphy, he was given Katalax, and when it did not work by the next day he went in and had an op to unblock his bowel.....It was a Sunday, but they still did the op...

Phoenix
24-10-2008, 08:22 PM
I was the same with Murphy, he was given Katalax, and when it did not work by the next day he went in and had an op to unblock his bowel.....It was a Sunday, but they still did the op...

The vets here are only open for emergencies. I have heard that it's always best to use the vet nearest to you that you are comfortable with - that way if anything happens and your cat needs to see a vet NOW then it will be a lot quicker getting them seen to.

Moli
24-10-2008, 08:24 PM
The vet was not open on Sunday, but opened up espeially for Murphy...

calismum
24-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi RCR - I do hope the parafin works.

My vet is about 25 miles / 35 mins away. I would happily travel twice that as I have such faith and rapport with them.

How far away would your other choices be?

Is there such a thing as a vet review on internet I wonder. You don't want to move from frying pan to fire.

Do you know anyone else with cats that go to different vets that would recommend them?

As you said the absolute most important thing in all this is Beauty, I do hope the problem is just constipation.

CM

Phoenix
24-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Hi RCR - I do hope the parafin works.

My vet is about 25 miles / 35 mins away. I would happily travel twice that as I have such faith and rapport with them.

How far away would your other choices be?

Is there such a thing as a vet review on internet I wonder. You don't want to move from frying pan to fire.

Do you know anyone else with cats that go to different vets that would recommend them?

As you said the absolute most important thing in all this is Beauty, I do hope the problem is just constipation.

CM

Problem is, if what I've heard about the other vet is true, I'd be doing precisely that! :(

Elaine
24-10-2008, 08:29 PM
RCR, I feel for you I really do but I feel more for Beauties wellbeing. She is terminally ill, she has a condition which is not cureable but she could be stablised if given the correct care. I cannt understand why some one who obviously loves their cat as you do would drag their heals in getting her the medical care she needs.
I am sorry but i am becoming completely frustrated, we have been going round in circles for months now about Beauties health and still no more is being done than before.
I trully dont want to be rude or nasty but i feel like I am wasting my time here.
I wish you both all the very best but i wont be responding anymore.

Phoenix
24-10-2008, 08:31 PM
RCR, I feel for you I really do but I feel more for Beauties wellbeing. She is terminally ill, she has a condition which is not cureable but she could be stablised if given the correct care. I cannt understand why some one who obviously loves their cat as you do would drag their heals in getting her the medical care she needs.
I am sorry but i am becoming completely frustrated, we have been going round in circles for months now about Beauties health and still no more is being done than before.
I trully dont want to be rude or nasty but i feel like I am wasting my time here.
I wish you both all the very best but i wont be responding anymore.

Sorry, but I am doing all I can for her! I have said that if our vet isn't doing all he can then I'm getting a second opinion, even if I have to take her to the other vet or travel several miles away!

Anyway, do you mean you won't respond to just this thread any more or any posts I make on any thread, whether started by me or not? Sorry if I sound snappy, but I'm just as worried as everyone else!:cry:

charlilou
25-10-2008, 07:08 PM
RCR, i just wan to say that i have read through all this post and i feel that you are doing what you can for Beauty and are being let down by your vets. Personally i would try the other vets, or at least go and speak to them to see what they would do for her.
I really hope that she gets better and you don't have to have her pts, and i an see that option is truly a last resort.

All i can say to everyone is that Beauty is RCR's cat and she knows her better than any of you do, and i do think some of you, even though i can see you are trying to help, have been quite rude to a distraught cat owner who is doing her best to help her cat.

Phoenix
25-10-2008, 10:16 PM
RCR, i just wan to say that i have read through all this post and i feel that you are doing what you can for Beauty and are being let down by your vets. Personally i would try the other vets, or at least go and speak to them to see what they would do for her.
I really hope that she gets better and you don't have to have her pts, and i an see that option is truly a last resort.

All i can say to everyone is that Beauty is RCR's cat and she knows her better than any of you do, and i do think some of you, even though i can see you are trying to help, have been quite rude to a distraught cat owner who is doing her best to help her cat.

Thanks, I'm touched about this post, I really am! I got a second opinion, even though Beauty's been a lot better, vet says it's arthritis causing her pain and wait until Monday about the lump to see if the treatment has worked.

Tink
25-10-2008, 10:23 PM
RCR, i haven't been responding but i have been reading and keeping up with this thread.
i don't think i can speak for everyone but i think what is maybe frustrating about your post is it is hard to understand your hesitance to stray from your vet and demand the best care possible. it's just a little hard to understand why you are so steadfast on staying with him/her.
either way i do hope this ends in beauty being better..take care both of you.

Phoenix
25-10-2008, 10:25 PM
RCR, i haven't been responding but i have been reading and keeping up with this thread.
i don't think i can speak for everyone but i think what is maybe frustrating about your post is it is hard to understand your hesitance to stray from your vet and demand the best care possible. it's just a little hard to understand why you are so steadfast on staying with him/her.
either way i do hope this ends in beauty being better..take care both of you.

What I'm reluctant to do is start using the other vet here - they don't have a good reputation.

Kazz
26-10-2008, 08:25 PM
HiyaNot responded to this but been keeping up what I go to say someone already has, however can I ask a couple of questions?Is Beauty eating? If so does she like liver (a good laxative in itself) if so a little liver may be good.Also is she on any medication for her arthritis (my old lad Oscar) who had CRF too had arthritis and had a shot (and he was fine, yes we went more often than recomended as I did not want him in discomfort. So is Beauty on any treatment for the arthritis?Regarding the consitpation is your vet aware she was "leaving you parcels in the bath" while he disagnosed constipation.My Cleo was miserable with constipation but only had one day with no bowel movement and I was at the vets next day....she was given the same Katlax and she was fine I was given the same advice as Elaine was by her vet if she had no bowel movement for 3 days come back straight away as its serious. No way would I have been dismissed without them seeing my cat..... Take care Karen

Kazz
26-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Sorry tried twice to make my post more readable but systems sees to want to join it all together.I will try seperating it. To make it more reader friendly

Kazz
26-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Con't of above but one post as it was unreadbel the way it was.I would suggest going to another vets and getting another opinion, honestly I would the fact you are unable to pick her up is not a good thing (unless she is normaly like that and avoids contact) and the fact you believe she is in pain go straight to the vets and get a reasonable response one you are happy with.How about writing your questions down before you go and ticking them off in the vets. Do a diary of her movements(bowel) and what she eats doesn't what she drinks doesn't how she is when and what your general feeling is about the situations....such as not getting up the back step.For Beauty's sake, you have to be firm and confirdent or take someone with you who is not as likely to get upset. Hope she's a little better now. Having an ill cat is a horrible feeling but I have to say having an animal Put to Sleep is far from cruel, but often the most loving act you will ever do for them. Take care Karen

meep
27-10-2008, 01:54 PM
How is Beauty today? We are all worried for her RCR, let us know!

Phoenix
27-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Only just got back from the vets, it's really bad news! The lump hasn't shifted so the vet thinks it's a tumour (or something sinister) A cat loving friend came with me to the vets (she isn't on here, she's not really computer literate but has got 2 cats of her own)

The options are surgery (not really an option because of Beauty's health conditions and it could potentially or there's a very good chance her kidneys could fail due to the surgery, also the tests it wouldn't be fair to put her through all that) or PTS, basically! :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

I couldn't put her through the surgery, so the only other option is what I have said above. I've brought her home without the vet doing anything to her and we have decided it would be fairer to let her go between Wednesday and Saturday. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Phoenix
27-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Forgot to say the vet is also very concerned about the fact that Beauty's weight has plummeted and she had hyperthyroid ism before she came to us. :cry:

Kazz
27-10-2008, 08:44 PM
I am srry to hear of Beauty's decrease in health......my thoughts are with you.

Natalie
27-10-2008, 08:47 PM
I know only too well the pain and torment you are going through. Someone on here told me that the decision to PTS was harder than the act and they were so right.

I'm so sorry Beauty's health hasnt improved.

My thoughts and prayers and with you.

yola
27-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Oh dear. I am so very sorry. It's a horrid decision to have to make but certianly one those of us who have taken on sickly cats have had to face - and realistically too.

I think you need to think long and hard about making the right decision for Beauty - not just for yourselves. Be led by your vet - hopefully you can trust them enough for this. Might it not be a good idea to visit them for a 10 minute chat? Again, with your friend maybe but without Beauty so you can really logically talk through what will be best for her; and if the worst comes to the worst . . .when to do it.

We have been frustrated here by your seeming lack of focus on finding a solution to Beauty's health problems (there has been much, much going around the houses), but essentially everyone is supportive of trying to help you make the right decision - we all want to see the right outcome for your cat - one that will either help her and relieve her pain, or finally release her from it.

When the time comes to make that choice we will do our best to help and comfort you through what might well be a tricky time.

Phoenix
27-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Oh dear. I am so very sorry. It's a horrid decision to have to make but certianly one those of us who have taken on sickly cats have had to face - and realistically too.

I think you need to think long and hard about making the right decision for Beauty - not just for yourselves. Be led by your vet - hopefully you can trust them enough for this. Might it not be a good idea to visit them for a 10 minute chat? Again, with your friend maybe but without Beauty so you can really logically talk through what will be best for her; and if the worst comes to the worst . . .when to do it.

We have been frustrated here by your seeming lack of focus on finding a solution to Beauty's health problems (there has been much, much going around the houses), but essentially everyone is supportive of trying to help you make the right decision - we all want to see the right outcome for your cat - one that will either help her and relieve her pain, or finally release her from it.

When the time comes to make that choice we will do our best to help and comfort you through what might well be a tricky time.

We have had a chat with the vet over the phone as well as taking Beauty in, and the vet thinks that PTS is probably the best thing to do, but he said it's our choice, not his. :cry:

angieh
27-10-2008, 09:49 PM
I am so very sorry RCR. A horrible decision to make, but I know that you will not allow Beauty to suffer.

So glad that you had your friend there with you and I hope that you will not take Beauty to the vet again on your own.

Try and be strong for her - it's very hard I do understand. My thoughts are with you both.

Tink
28-10-2008, 12:08 AM
i am so sorry RCR.

sammy
28-10-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Beauty......I too know how hard it is to make that decision.....unfortunately sometimes it is the best decision for a much loved cat.......:smt058

meep
28-10-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm sorry to hear this RCR, my prayers are with Beauty x x

PoshPuss
28-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh I am so sorry that it has come to this point but, do you know, I think it is a wonderful act of kindness that we can give to our beloved animal friends. You have been priviledged to give and receive love from Beauty. Love never dies. Use all your strength to be brave one last time and let her pass over to the bridge. :-) Take care. x

truthisouthere
04-11-2008, 04:08 PM
My thoughts are with you and your precious angel at this sad time..I know it doesn't feel in your heart like you are doing the right thing but remember, Beauty needs peace..and a brave mum to help her do what's right for HER. X

Jasmine
04-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I had to have my gorgeous chocolate Burmese, Leo, put to sleep in June - sometimes you have no choice in the matter.

I shall never forget him and still have tears in my eyes thinking of him.

However I now have a 12 year old cat from the Cats Protection, who is half Burmese - he has settled down really well. His previous owners no longer wanted him (I cannot imagine having a cat for 12 years and then suddenly not wanting him). I did not feel I should have a kitten as I am 69 and the kitten would probably outlive me and then have to find a new home.

truthisouthere
05-11-2008, 12:46 PM
That's very thoughtful of you Jasmine getting an older cat. I've only ever had one from a kitten, and even then she was 4 months old. Kittens are adorable and easier to home, so I've always gone for the adult rescue cats. I had to have one of my darling boys put to sleep in April too, and I SWEAR each time that I'll never get another cat...altho in time I probably wil.