PDA

View Full Version : Film over eye??

Tanya
18-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Hello!

I haven't been on Catsey for ages!!

I have come to ask for some help ....please.

Today I have noticed that Oli has a film over one of his eyes it looks almost like he has a big tear that will not go away.

He had cat flu as a kitten so has always had some sort of discharge come from this eye. The vet has assured me that this is normal. Apparently the cat flu damaged the stuff behind his eye(sorry for the lack of technical terms!).

Oli is just over two years old, he is up to date with all vaccinations and is only allowed outside with adult supervision!!

Could anybody please help? The vet is not open until Monday so I was hoping someone could shed some light on the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Tanya & Oli x ;)

Natalie
18-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Sorry to hear your cat is poorly and typically over the weekend! It could possibly be a tear that has been caused by trauma and maybe got infected?

Hope Oli will be ok until Monday. Poor you :(

angieh
18-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Sorry not to be very much help Tanya. Was this something that appeared suddenly? Have you tried bathing Oli's eye with a bit of tepid water? That's all that I would attempt without better advice.

Kazz
18-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Leave it alone!!!!!!!!!

Does he have any other symptoms? does it bother him?

Go to the vets Monday As soon as you can.....but don't panic if its jut been noticed it will be easy to sort.

Sorry to sound harsh but it sounds like it could be his third eye (don't know the techincal term)....cats have a membrane for want of a better description that covers their eye then the eye lid you rarely see the third eye that protects the eye however....at times of illnesss/cold/conjuncitiitis/infection...sort of thing the third eye becomes apparant it is a safety mechanisum as I understand it for the eye. LEAVE IT ALONE. He could have something in his eye or a little bit of conjuncitvitis or an infection but leave it alone. Is my advice. And go the vets on Monday.

Karen

calismum
18-10-2008, 11:53 PM
I agree with Kazz - although a mild, tepid saline solution will do no harm. Best let vet see on Mon.

Could just be little infection or he's feeling a little under the weather.

CM

PoshPuss
19-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Good luck with Oli at the vets, I'm sure Mother Nature will protect his eyes til then. The third eyelid must be there for a reason and maybe its doing good.
Cats are hardier than we think ;) even my precious pampered puss was a stray for at least two weeks, so got hardened to the world and despite cat flu and bad flea infestation she got through :-)

dinahsmum
19-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Nictitating membrane! How about that for a bit of useless info? And why can I remember things like that and not remember my sister's phone number?

Anyway - I agree with Kazz but I won't shout - just leave it alone.

I expect he has 'hurt' his eye a little (maybe got something in it, or scratched it on a twig) and the third eyelid has come across to protect it. It could well be that it will be fine, or well on the way to recovery by tomorrow and you won't need the vet at all.

btw - when a cat has the third eyelid showing in both eyes it is a sign of feeling unwell and should result in a fairly urgent trip to the vet. One eye tends to suggest an injury

Mags
20-10-2008, 03:08 PM
How is Oli's eye today Tanya?

mumof3
20-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi everyone

Just read this thread and and Dinahsmums post, it has made me panic!

Alfie is one year old and quite often shows his third eyelid in both eyes, he usually does this when going all soft and rolling over to have his tummy rubbed. I always thought it was because he had his eyes half closed (as in pleasure) he seems fine in himself, eating well, drinking, playing, going to the loo etc.

Now I'm worried he's ill. Never seen it in my other cats although they are not as soft as him.

Vets do you think?

dinahsmum
20-10-2008, 04:49 PM
aaargh - sorry to panic you!
If it's intermittent, it sounds exactly like he is half-closing his eyes in pleasure.
Lucky boy!

mumof3
20-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Phew! and thanks.
He does love his tummy rubs.

Tanya
20-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Thank you so much for everyones replies. Thankfully, I noticed a hair in Oli's eye and managed to get it out. As a result of this I pulled the 'film' and it looked like it was hanging out of the corner of his eye. I left it and the film moved to the far side of his eye. The following day the film disappeared. His eye has seemed fine since then.