PDA

View Full Version : Just diagnosed with CRF

Natalie
17-10-2008, 06:22 AM
My beautiful Willow (14) was diagnosed 8 days ago with CRF. After advice from the vet who wasn't very positive I decided after 12 hours of crying hysterically that I owed it to her not to PTS and to try make her better although I know there isn't a cure. Up until this point she has been a fit and very healthy cat.

I took her last Friday and she had an IV drip for 24 hours and has since had a steroid and vitamin injection but my poor lady still is hardly eating. Its pitiful. She is drinking but only managing around half a pouch of food per day. She is weakening but still able to jump on a chair and purr when I go to stroke her. She just wants to be left on her own and to be honest she looks so so sad.

My question is, how long do I go on just letting her eat only a tiny amount and when do I know whens the right time to make the heartwrenching decision to PTS. I'm in turmoil.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Nat

Natalie
17-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Forgot to also add that I have tried her with tuna, chicken, cod, coley and sardines to no avail!

HELP me

candyshandy
17-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi

Have you tried warming the food slightly, I always found that helped when I was trying to get Fabes to eat his chicken.

Please see the following website - its really helpful for people whose cats have CRF.

http://www.felinecrf.org/

Its a shame Elaine isn't around as she is extremely knowledgeable about CRF.

My cat had CRF but he had other issues too but there are medications that you can try. Has the vet prescribed anything?

yola
17-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi Nat, I'm sorry you're joining us under such worrying circumstances. As Candice says, Elaine knows a good deal about CRF because she helped one of her cats to live a better quality of life with the disease. She's incomunicado for several days though :( Don't panic . . . hang on in there, my understanding is that once the initial symptoms are stabilised the disease can be maintained under control with careful monitoring.

Only you will know whether Willow's quality of life is benefiting from the treatment . . . good luck, and don't forget we are a great support network for when you want to cry, rant or just share a happy moment :D

Natalie
17-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Thank you so much girls. I have warmed the food but no difference really. She doesn't like the renal diet either.

The benefits of the steroid injection only lasted a day and the ace inhibitor tablet which she takes once a day isn't making any difference. She isn't weeing much either.

Its such a difficult situation. She is my world. I had her before I got married, had children and she has been through everything with me. Those who aren't a cat lover don't understand

Moli
17-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Hi, so sorry to hear about Willow....
This is Elaines article about CRF, hope you find it useful....
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25488

Mags
17-10-2008, 12:45 PM
So sorry to hear about Willow :(

I thought maybe you would care to read the following thread where our members were very supportive to another member whose cat had suspected CRF.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=24999&highlight=CRF+cats

You may well find some very helpful information and suggestions there.

Natalie
17-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all your help and support.

Unfortunately I think it has all come too late for my beauty. She is going down hill daily and all she wants to do is hide under the table and be quiet. She looks so depressed and is very withdrawn. Poor thing must feel so rotten. Although I would love to try everything I can to keep her going deep down I feel as though we are too far down the line and diagnosis has come very late in the day.

I am not working all weekend so will battle with my gut feeling and see how she goes over the weekend. I want her to live forever but I wont let her suffer either.

It's such a fine line and I'm in tears just writing this.

angieh
17-10-2008, 02:29 PM
I am so so sorry for what you and lovely Willow are going through. It is heartbreaking. All of us here understand completely. Others have sent you the link to the CRF site and apart from that I am afraid there is no practical advice I can offer.

You will do what is best for her ultimately I am sure.

dinahsmum
17-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Hello. I've just returned from holiday and found your sad post. I really hope things aren't as bad as you fear.
I have a little experience, having had a siamese who lived her last couple of years with a kidney issue and whose final blood test (just 2 weeks before the unrelated tumours which finally ended her life were diagnosed) was within normal range.
She had many many good days and a few bad ones, but mostly we just carried on - she ate lots when she was in the mood and didn't eat a lot when she didn't feel like it, but kept her wight on pretty well.
None of that really helps you - maybe gives me a little credibility to talk on the periphery of kidney insufficiency though. As others have said, what a shame Elaine isn't here - she knows pretty much all there is to know about coping with a crf cat.

One thing that occured to me as I read your OP was that it might be time to change your vet, or ask to see another vet in the practice. They are usually keen to help, so I am saddened by the attitude you found.

There - I've been back and re-read the whole thread to make sure I haven't missed anything. Don't think so. Do you think Willow may have the nasty indigestion they can tend to get with the disease? Antacids (prescribed from the vet) can really help with this. There - I'm back to it again - you need more vet help. It should be a team, you, the vet and the animal. Even if the vet is very pessimistic s/he should still be prepared to have a go, if you are willing to fund the treatment. 2.30 Friday - you'll still be able to get an appointment to see someone else at this afternoon/evening surgery. Give it a go?
Keep in touch - good luck

Elaine
17-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi Matron, I can completely understand how you must be feeling, I was exactly the same when Winston was diagnosed and the vet was very negative.
First off, if there is more than one vet around, where you live, call them and ask what experience they have with CRF cats. Tell them you are looking for a supportive vet who will work with you in helping Willow.
Please do read as much as you can and get yourself as informed as possible about CRF, I think Candice posted the link to the CRF bible.
Now onto Willow, you say she isnt urinating much, CRF cats are more prone to urinary infections so this may well have to checked out but if she isnt drinking much or eating much then she probably wont have much by way of waste products to eliminate.
Is she vomiting at all? Or lip smacking? If so this is an indication of an excess tummy acid build up, this itself is enough to stop a cat from eating. Its a catch 22, they feel squeamish and dont eat but if they do eat, this will probably help them more than anything.
Also try raising her bowls so she doesnt have to bow her head so low to eat and drink, this helps reduce reflux.
Wet food is always considered best for CRF cats due to the water content but it is also true that it is better for them to eat anything than nothing at all, so if she can be persuaded to eat some dry food then so be it.
Your vet can prescribe some antepsin to help with her excess tummy acid but I warn you she will not like it. I personally used to use slippery elm bark, I found it to help and Winston didnt mind it at all.
Also B vitamins are invaluable to CRF cats, they are water soluble and she will not over dose on them.
Do you have a copy of her blood test results?
I think Pat may have pm'd you my mobile number, please feel free to ring me at any time as i am not at home over the next 4-5 days with no internet access.
Jusyt popped to my mums to use hers so that I could respond to you.
Stay possitive and stay calm, for Willows sake. Not easy i know but all is not lost yet. xxx

Moli
17-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I have pm'd the number Elaine...

Natalie
17-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Thank you Elaine and to you Moli for the PM. I am truely touched by your kindness and concern.

I have seen a different vet at the practice who was lovely. Most helpful and very positive in the fact that we can explore various options if such needs arise. However she did dismiss the suggestion I gave to her that Willow may have acid reflux and she said not.

I am trying to hand feed Willow which is 50% successful. She is frail and thin but her beauty still shines through although her gorgeous green eyes have lost their sparkle.

I am a staff nurse by occupation and I care for the terminally ill which I manage with fine but animals especially my own then I fall to pieces.

I know the renal diet would extend her life but if she doesn't like it then Im going to give her what she likes, sod it. If you cant have what you want in the last days/weeks of your life then when can you have it? I hope to be in bed with the remote in one hand and a box of fererro rocher in the other :lol:

The vet did suggest some IV diazepam and then to give her food immediately???? didnt understand this concept but Willow is so stressed going to the vets (hardly been in her life) it's a catch 22 situation.

Can you tell my mind is mush :oops:

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and advice. I haven't phone you Elaine for fear of disturbing you and I would be far too embarressed to sob my heart to a complete stranger on the phone.

I hope you understand.

Will see how she is tomorrow

yola
17-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Oh - maybe it's hormones but I'm sitting here reading this in a bit of a mess :roll: Natalie, I hope you and Willow can find a way through this, but it's good to know, because of your profession, that you fully understand the need to not prolong suffering. Again, may I wish you and Willow all the very best . . .

Phoenix
17-10-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm currently helping my girl with CRF. Again, I'm of the mind if you can't spoil them you shouldn't have them.

I think everyone else has posted everything to help, all I can advise is you hang on in there. I'll PM you my email address so you can email me if you need to, OK?

dandysmom
17-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Natalie, don't hesitate to call Elaine. she won't mind!! Yes, technically we're all strangers, but this a small close-knit forum, and as cat people we're "family" too. We know what you're going thru ...many have been there .....and we care. It does help to talk.....((( hugs)))

Moli
17-10-2008, 09:41 PM
I have just spoken to Elaine she said please phone her, you will not be disturbing her...

angieh
17-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Comforting vibes for Willow and (((HUGS))) for you Nat.

Kazz
17-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Go for it ring Elaine .....

Kazz
17-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Hello

Sorry you found your way hear through the sadness of your diagnosis (and thats right isn't it it feels like you have en diagnosed along with your cat) when my Oscar was diagnosed I tried the diet and he hated it so I reverted back to what he liked....I figured better to eat than not eat. Eventually he was PTS due in no small part to the CRF but also to old age he was 23 years and 4 months when PTS he has CRF for over 2 years (diagnosed not sure how long he had it before) its a hard condition to come to terms with as you have so much information and so much heartache to deal with.

I have to say you know your cat best and a vet who agree's with that is a gem. Best of luck with Willow the descision to PTS is harder than the actual act. Its like giving up that which you love but its because you love her so that you are willing to give her up......as I say all the best and welcome to the board Karen

PoshPuss
18-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Oh Natalie :( I send my love and hugs to you and Willow too, I really feel for you. You have a wonderful bond with Willow. Please feel reassured that here on Catsey we'll help. We have the most expert of ladies on the subject of CRF and they'll be massive suppport and of course, us lot, who can only sympathise but send our love and healing vibes out to you both. Take care :-)

Natalie
18-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Update....I'm sorry I just couldnt bring myself to phone Elaine. Maybe in time but I just cant at the moment. Hope Elaine understands.

Willow seems a little brighter or maybe that's just wishful thinking. I have spent today batttling again with the whole PTS thing.

I'm trying her with some warm Mackerel tonight. She is mobile but stiff but doesn't look for food or attempt to eat anything unless I pick her up and take her to it.

The anorexia/weakness will get her in the end and not the CRF I'm sure.

Thank you all for your support once again. Willow and I are feeling your love :cat21

Kazz
18-10-2008, 08:20 PM
I really do feel for you but from your description it sounds like the time is now...the descision as I say is harder than the act. And try to remember cats live in the now they do not think ahead all she knows is now.

dandysmom
18-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Aww, Natalie, you know we're sending healing vibes and love; all we can do. And Elaine will understand, no doubt of that. Fingers crossed that Willow will try some of her mackerel tonight.......

candyshandy
18-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Only you know when its time and believe me you will know.

Everyone said I would know and I did.

On the outside people may have thought Fabes' time was a long time ago but I knew him the best and people who saw him couldn't believe he was ill.

Be strong hun and make the decision when you feel it is right
xxxxxx

calismum
18-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Just catching up with this (not been about much last couple days) I an so sorry that willow is not feeling like eating, I do hope that she maybe feels like something later.

Sending you both hugs and best wishes

CM

Natalie
19-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Another sleepless night here. Doesn't help the fact that my hubby is on nights so I'm here alone sending myself crazy. Willow is MY cat so the ultimate decision is down to me. He is allergic to cats and never liked them but my dog milo, willow and belle as well as my eldest daughter (8) came as part of a package. He has coped very well and with a daily dose of anti-histamine he doesn't do too bad and has grown to love/tolerate them all lol.

Willow hasn't eaten the mackerel and nothing this morning. I am 99.9% sure that I shall go ahead with my act of love tomorrow. Her condition is getting worse fairly rapidly and although she is able to walk now, she won't sometime soon and I want her to go to bridge before she suffers anymore. She deserves more than that and I owe it to her not to prolong her suffering.

I'm so sorry to join this site under very sad and upsetting circumstances and feel I'm not in the right frame of mind to contribute to many threads at the moment but I hope when I reach the other side I shall stay and participate some more.

Thanks for letting me use this thread to sound off and put my thoughts onto paper and for all the support you have shown both to me and willow.
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

yola
19-10-2008, 10:15 AM
This is a very difficult, upsetting and confusing time. You take all the time you need to come to terms with any decision you need to make and the resulting emotions. We will be here to support you, and as you say, when you come out the other side of this dark place, hopefully you'll feel up to joining in with our lighter banter.

dandysmom
19-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Yola has said what I'd have said. (((hugs)))

Natalie
19-10-2008, 07:38 PM
This evening, Willow died in my arms.

She had deteriorated as the day went on and by 5.30 she couldn't stand, she was trying to vomit and she was in distress. I called the emergancy number at the vets and I got a babysitter sharpish to my house, my 2 daughters kissed her goodbye and took her in her bed to the vets. She was put to sleep in a calm and relaxed room and passed away peacefully after a couple of attempts and another vomit.

I feel at peace myself now and although I shall miss her everyday until the day that I die, I knew I had to let her go. I loved her too much to let her suffer. She told me with her eyes that she had had enough.

Thank you all for the past few days. You have helped a very very distressing process become much more bearable.

RIP Willow aged 14 (at least)

calismum
19-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Matron - I am so sorry for your loss. I have read about poor Willow with a tear in my eye. I hope you will always remember you did the best thing for her. You will always have your memories.

CM

Mags
19-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Matron, I'm so very sorry to read that it was necessary for you to say goodbye today to dear Willow.:(

You gave her your kindest gift be freeing her from her pain. It hurts terribly for you now, most of us here understand how you must be feeling ((((hugs)))).

You need to grieve for your darling Willow, we are hear to help you get through this process. The day will come when the pain will ease and you will be able to look back and remember Willow with a gentle smile on your face.

We have a section here called Gone But Not Forgotten .......maybe when you feel up to it, you would like to write a little tribute to Willow to show she will never be forgotten by us all.

http://www.catsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Our thoughts are with you, take care.......x

Phoenix
19-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Oh poor Willow and poor you Matron! :( All my thoughts are with you in this difficult time! :cry:

dandysmom
19-10-2008, 08:16 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, Natalie. RIP, lovely Willow.

yola
19-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Natalie, I don't know you or Willow but the pain that comes through your words has me in tears. Bless you for making the hardest decision you'll probably ever make, and giving Willow some peace.

candyshandy
19-10-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Willow but it sounds as if you did the best thing for her.

Its a tough decision but like Willow, Fabes told me with his eyes.

(((hugs))) to you

xxx

angieh
19-10-2008, 08:40 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss Natalie. I do hope that in due course of time you will be able to remember Willow with a smile in your heart and on your face. ((((HUGS))))

Natalie
19-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Thank you for your words of kindness. You really are a lovely bunch of ladies. Forgot to add a picture of my darling Willow.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/girlie74/Millie002.jpg

calismum
19-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Such a gorgeous girl - CM

dandysmom
19-10-2008, 08:55 PM
What a beautiful girl Willow was. Thanks for sharing that with us....

Kazz
19-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Now she is a gorgeous gorgeous cat.....so sorry for your loss. But you amde the right choice at the right moment.

My sympathies.

Karen

angieh
19-10-2008, 11:25 PM
She was a little stunner!

yola
20-10-2008, 06:13 AM
What a beautiful girl :(

dinahsmum
20-10-2008, 09:45 AM
So sorry for your loss.

I hope the inconsolable period passes quickly for you and you can start to think of, and remember, and smile at, the real healthy Willow, instead of the poor sickly girl she had become.
x

PoshPuss
20-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Natalie, you were a brave and caring mum and Willow was in your arms when she passed; I don't think she would have wanted to have been anywhere else.
You will soon be smiling with the happy memories of the times you had with her, the pain will slowly fade.
Share you thoughts with us and we will understand.
love Nette x

sammy
20-10-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm so sorry to read about Willow.........you gave her the last great gift you could.......peace..

RIP Willow and hugs to you.....

Moli
20-10-2008, 09:37 PM
So sorry....
Run free beautiful girl....xx

alexgirl73
20-10-2008, 09:53 PM
I am so sorry!! I have no idea how I missed this thread. My deepest sympathies at the loss of such a beautiful girl xx

Elaine
21-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Just home, I am so very sorry for your loss:cry: . It breaks my heart every time even though I have never met Willow or many of the other dear departed cats.
Sending you all my love and best wishes.
R.I.P. Willow, eat well on the bridge xxx

meep
21-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Willow was a gorgeous cat, testament in her photo, and you gave her the best life and send off to the bridge a cat could want. All my prayers for you and Willow x x x x