PDA

View Full Version : does your cat 'knead'? & why do they do it??

Elvisisboss
16-10-2008, 11:14 PM
i was told that they Knead as they do it as comfort as they used to do that when they got milk........? any truth in that?

my oldest Elvis does this alot! i got him at 5 weeks and he suckled from my ear lobe :cat21 So cute so im his mummy!

Taylor doesnt do it :( he did it once for about 3 seconds on me, and about 5seconds on my partner but then he stopped!

so why do they do it? why dont they all do it??

and why is it so cute?! :-D

meep
17-10-2008, 09:47 AM
I've heard the same thing, that they knead sometimes as a throwback to when they were kittens and were suckling at their mum.

But I think sometimes they do it for differnet reasons. My two always do it when they're about to lie down on the bed at night to go to sleep. They turn round and round in circles whilst kneading and purring really loudly, then lie down and their wee paws are still twitching as if kneading ever so slightly. It is so cute to watch :)

To me, whatever the reason, kneading is definately a sign that they're happy. It's almost always accompanied by purring!

Moli
17-10-2008, 10:04 AM
I think its a comfort thing...Chancer does it mid air if I talk to him...

fancyabrew
17-10-2008, 12:46 PM
yep Chloe does it especially at night on the bed, but she'll also do it when sitting on your knee which depending on what you're wearing can hurt!

Elvisisboss
17-10-2008, 02:44 PM
AWwwww!! so cute!! :D :D

i wish Taylor did it!! just so used to Elvis doing it i thought all cats did it! :D

Steph
17-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Cleo makes butter all the time-I take it as a love sign. I think she realises that she needs to be moved a bit when on my lap/legs and it`s easier to get me to do it

Elvisisboss
17-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Cleo makes butter all the time-I take it as a love sign. I think she realises that she needs to be moved a bit when on my lap/legs and it`s easier to get me to do it

AWWWWWWWW!! lovely way to put it!!! :-D :-D :-D

stitch_too
17-10-2008, 09:08 PM
yep Chloe does it especially at night on the bed, but she'll also do it when sitting on your knee which depending on what you're wearing can hurt!

Flossie does it to me, too. so, to prevent her from digging her claws into me, i cover my lap, then i allow her to jump up onto me. she also kneads in mid air, which is better than on my skin! blanket or any cover also prevents any plucking of clothes. usually pyjama bottoms or jeans.

dandysmom
17-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Most of mine "make bread", as my mom called it. Definitely means they're contented. Leia will knead the air when she's on her side having a tummy rub. But painful when you have shorts on!

truthisouthere
08-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Awww, my boy makes purry 'patty cakes' in the air when I snug up to his face and talk to him when he's sleeping, his toes also go all splayed!

Elvisisboss
08-11-2008, 10:58 PM
YAH!

Taylor now 'makes bread'!!! :D

he keeps waking me up podging about on my belly...my boob!!! :lol: :lol: !!! sits on my face purring & podging away at me!! still i love it though! :D

random
10-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Princess is the only cat I have ever had who just doesn't hardly do it, she still does but rarely. The rest do it all the time, Tucker actually never stops I don't think and does it mid air when you are carrying him.

Kay
10-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Most of mine do it. I would say in Cory's case it is definitely a comfort thing. He had to be seperated from his mum very early and has always kneaded and he also sucks your clothes at the same time. It is soooo cute.

random
10-11-2008, 12:14 AM
It's funny, I have had a few of my cats quite early on and some later on, I think Kiara was about 12 or 14 weeks when I got her and Tucker was 8, obviously the ones who were born here stayed with mum longer than most kittens and they are the ones who knead the least, but as far as the rest go, Tucker kneads the most and he came home at 8 weeks, Anakin and Vitaani were both very young when I got them and they do it a lot too but not as much as Tucker, Kiara does it only when she's really settled as does Colin and Princess usually keeps herself to herself anyway and probably does it in her own time but it's rare to see her doing it, then again its rare to see her being social the little diva she is.

I remember vividly when I was still at home and had my old girl Tabs when she was just a wee imp of a thing, (she came home very early too as it happens) and she would come upstairs into mine and my sister's room, we had bunkbeds and she particularly liked my sister's blanket. My sister was only a toddler at the time and she'd always shout, "Muuuuuuuum, Tabby's dancing on my bed againnnnnnn!" :mrgreen:

Anakin has a particular favorite blanket too, he will ALWAYS do it if he has access to this blanket, it's a black faux fur throw from Tesco, he loved it since day one! :mrgreen:

Aren't they funny.

Elvisisboss
10-11-2008, 01:34 AM
awww great stories!! :D

with the age thing, Tay was 7weeks when i got him & he only does it on me when im asleep!!

Elvis was 5 weeks & he does it all the time & mid air :D lol!

Tina
10-11-2008, 02:08 AM
Our older cat Miw used to do it all the time till she was about 3 years old, she does it occasionally still. Mouse does it all the time, and suckles on the inside of her leg while she does it.....LOL......she's done it since she was a kitten, but more so in the past 6 months since she's been ill, so I definately think it's a comfort thing for her. It is cute though! :-)

debbiepem
12-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Strange but one of my cats do it and the other doesn't. Jamie will knead for a short while if it is on the furry throw but not on our laps. Gordon just flops without any ceremony!