PDA

View Full Version : Merlin's visit to the vet today

angieh
15-10-2008, 02:29 PM
I am feeling quite upbeat about this. Merlin saw one of the senior vets today - who was so confident in handling Merlin that he flicked three pieces of tartar off Merlin's teeth before Merlin knew what was going on! "There" he said, "Not a complete dental but that's got rid of a lot of it!"

Merlin was by then swearing quite a bit, but the vet gave him a thorough check over and said how well he was doing for a cat of his age. We discussed the blood test results - as I said in the previous thread about the tests, Merlin's kidneys are not working 100%, but are still fairly good for a cat of his age but one consequence is of course the anaemia. He gave Merlin a vitamin B12 shot. I asked about repeating the antibiotic injection and the vet was of the opinion that as Merlin is currently eating well there really was no need unless the infection causes him problems again. He recommended that I try him on the Hill's k/d diet, and I have bought 6 pouches just to see how he goes. The vet said that there was absolutely no point in giving him the diet if he won't eat it, but I am going to introduce it very gradually over 5 or so days to see what happens.

Merlin has again put on a bit more weight, which is really good news.

As for the flea problem, this vet recognised that some people are having problems with Frontline and had no reservations about prescribing Stronghold for Merlin. He is due his next dose this Saturday - so fingers crossed that will solve our problems.

He also recommended a monthly check provided nothing happens in the interim of course.

I am very happy to have bought my Merlin home with me again and to know that he is not struggling. A bit stiff maybe, but he's not in pain nor is he distressed. He really is as well as can be expected for his age.

Thanks to everyone for their kind remarks, comments and suggestions.

Yola, I have taken note of your request for more pictures and am on it!

Elaine
15-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Pleased to hear it Angie. Did you discuss vitamin supplements with the vet to help with the anemia? If not, it might be an idea to give them a call as it is very important that anemia is treated.
All the very best to you both xxx:D

Mags
15-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Pleased to hear the visit went well, Angie..:D

yola
15-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Super, super news :-D And Elaine's advice is good . . . get those vits down the boy ;)

Oh, and let's be having those pictures then *insert smiley of foot-tapping man here*

meep
15-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Brilliant news :D So glad to hear Merlin got a good bill of health from the vet, and he's as fit as he can be :) I think he deserves some tuna ;)

HappyKatz
15-10-2008, 02:57 PM
So happy to hear that Merlins vet appointment went well!! :cat10

Moli
15-10-2008, 03:13 PM
So pleased to hear it all went well Angie....

dandysmom
15-10-2008, 04:50 PM
What happy news: brightened the day! Do give the dear old boy a chin-tickle; I'm pleased he's feeling feisty enough to swear at the vet!!

Erin
15-10-2008, 05:45 PM
What great news Angie,so pleased hes doing well :D xx

Kazz
15-10-2008, 06:02 PM
You know you have just made my day and it was kinda good anyhow however this is icing on the cake. Really really pleased.

calismum
15-10-2008, 07:46 PM
really pleased angie. And he is still putting on weight (slow and staedy more likely to keep it on)

Hope he continues to do well.

CM

angieh
15-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all your lovely comments. Merlin thanks his special Catsey aunties too.

(Yes Yola - I'm still mindful of taking more pictures of his wizardness!)

I have had a good look at the CRF link that Elaine kindly sent me. For bad or worse, I have decided not to look at the list of symptoms again for fear of scaring myself silly. Merlin has been with this particular vets' practice for about 13 years and, with minor reservations, I have always trusted in their professional advice. So, I am going to trust the senior vet that we saw today. I shall of course keep a very watchful eye on him (as I always do) and of course whisk him back if I am in the least worried. Otherwise I am going to make another appointment in a month and see how he goes on. He has eaten very well again tonight and has had mixed in a bit of the k/d diet.

He is so pleased that we installed that woodburner - and that's were he is atm - stretched out in front of it.

Phoenix
15-10-2008, 08:02 PM
So happy to hear the vet visit went well angieh! Beauty sends some grooming to Merlin and the last of her tinned tuna in spring water as a treat! I'm sending over strokes! :-D