PDA

View Full Version : Cat peeing on carrier bags

stitch_too
14-10-2008, 04:52 PM
not empty carrier bags, but ones with stuff in them! i know the obvious answer is to move them, but i don't understand why Flossie does this. She does it even when her litter tray is clean and fresh.

anyone else's cat/s do this?

angieh
14-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I wonder if it's a territorial thing - but she's spayed isn't she? Maybe the carriers have scents on them she doesn't care for.

stitch_too
14-10-2008, 05:21 PM
yeah, she is spayed. and a good thing, too, else i'd be over run with kittens!

maybe that's possible with the bags having smells she don't like, cos she hates the sound of carrier bags, and she's never ever played with them.

dandysmom
14-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Is she squatting in a normal pee position, or backing up and spraying? If the latter, I think it's territorial. Females do mark territory, just not as much as males ....

stitch_too
14-10-2008, 09:52 PM
i think she squats. i haven't seen her at it, but there's puddles of pee on carrier bags. i'm at a loss as to how to remove them, cos they've got my things in them, and there's carpet tiles on the floor.

calismum
15-10-2008, 12:05 AM
My last cat Misty used to do this. Used to drive me mad - sorry but never found a way to stop her. It was suggested to me that it was to do with the smell(s). I just had to remember to put them away and not leave them on the floor.

Hope you are more successful than I was.

CM

Tink
15-10-2008, 02:13 AM
does she maybe associate the carrier with a vet visit?

stitch_too
15-10-2008, 01:53 PM
My last cat Misty used to do this. Used to drive me mad - sorry but never found a way to stop her. It was suggested to me that it was to do with the smell(s). I just had to remember to put them away and not leave them on the floor.

Hope you are more successful than I was.

CM

i think i'm gonna have to just take the bags away, and clean the floor, and the litter tray.

sorry tink, flossie has only been to the vets once. i didn't go with her, though. a lady came one day, and offered to take her to be spayed for me for free. (cos i'm on benefits) i only put her in a cat carrier, and there wasn't any bags in it, only a towel, i think.

Rosie
21-10-2008, 03:35 PM
One of my cats does this - not sure whether it is Alfie or Rosie but I suspect it is Rosie. They don't have litter trays and have never messed in the house. Just carrier bags on the floor.

I just have to remember not to leave them there. Oh incidentally the carrier bags in questions didn't have food in them - they were in the bedroom with some new clothes in.

truthisouthere
08-11-2008, 01:10 PM
I expect there's a little of the i't's a new thing in my house, must mark' kinda behaviour. Only a cat behaviourist could possibly tell you, there are some good books out there, Christmas is coming..go and have a rummage in Waterstones.

dandysmom
08-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Some cats are almost obsessive markers...chin gland marking, not spraying. Leia marks almost everything new that comes in the house that she can rub her chin on! And she keeps re-marking the corner of the computer!

Tina
10-11-2008, 02:22 AM
Our cat Miw will pee on empty carrier bags if she finds one.......but so far (touches wood) she hasn't pee'd on any full ones LOL! Its something about the plastic I think!