PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for those frightened of spiders

Mags
14-10-2008, 03:29 PM
More exotic spiders are making their homes in the UK....... they are believed to be arriving in imports of food and plants and are surviving thanks to our increasingly mild climate.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7573530.stm

Not only spiders either.........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7574102.stm

Moli
14-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Very interesting Mags, luckily I am not scared of spiders...Have not seen any of them yet though....

Erin
14-10-2008, 03:43 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: omg!!!!

angieh
14-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't like spiders at all ........... shudder.

Certainly have seen those bright red lily beetles though - they've been here for several years now.

PS I squish 'em!

Elvisisboss
14-10-2008, 04:33 PM
im not Scared of them..............just dont want them near or on me!!! :lol: !!

oh my god!!!!!!!!!! the Steatoda nobilis spider looks scaryly like the FOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i found outside in these werid bushes!! EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW i feel sick i hope it wasnt them 4 of them following eachother they were SO big YUKKKK

OH! i have also seen 2of them ladybirds i just thought they were a diff colour!!! one came in about 3 day ago and the cat went mad!! :lol: !

dandysmom
14-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Eeeek! :shock: I had to stop looking at that link when the pics appeared; gave me the shudders! There's a story here, don't know if it's true or just an urban legend like alligators in the sewers, that tarantulas have been found in banana bunch imports.....

Mags
14-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Eeeek! :shock: I had to stop looking at that link when the pics appeared; gave me the shudders! There's a story here, don't know if it's true or just an urban legend like alligators in the sewers, that tarantulas have been found in banana bunch imports.....
Yes Eileen, we have been told that here also ........I'm sure I recall a news report of one being found in bananas,,,:shock:

Moli
14-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Just wondered, I have evicted a couple of big spiders the past couple of nights, but did not really look at them, just caught them and chucked them out, wonder how many other people do that...For all I know they may have been an import!!

PoshPuss
14-10-2008, 06:28 PM
I love spiders! They are our friends, eat nasty flies.
Always try and keep a few spidies up near the cornice. Don't like them on the floor tho, or finding them in shoes, ugh. Just keep to their high places and we get on fine!

Moli
14-10-2008, 06:35 PM
I am the same PP, rather have a spider than flies any day!

calismum
14-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Oh no - how can you 'keep' a few about. I am goose bumps just thinking about it.

As far as I am concerned they should all be exported!!

(yes, I know they do good, kill loads of other pests etc. but please not within 5 miles of me !!!!)

CM

meep
14-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Oh yes I remember the story of the woman who got a spider nest in our her bananas. It was a little egg nest that hatched lots of JUMPING spiders :shock: (not tarantuals, although I wouldn't say it hasn't happened). Loads of little spiders appeared in her house but then they got bigger and bigger. She eventually had to leave her house so they could get rid of them all, as there were too many for her to kill, and they were so big that they'd make the curtains shake when they ran behind them :shock: :shock: It was on BBC a few years ago if I remember.

I hate big spiders. Teeny ones are really cute and ickle, but big ones with knarly legs and chunky bodies make me uncontrollable scream. Thank goodness Darcy is a spider-hunter :)

angieh
14-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Darcy can come and live here any time he wants a vacation. Any spider hunting cat is my best friend. Merlin takes absolutely no notice of them.

I get the good old common cross spiders in the greenhouse and they are fine in there and I will let them be. It's the big black ones whose names I don't know - I just yell until OH comes along with a glass and a beer mat and takes them outside for me. Would prefer not to kill them as I know they eat flies and I hate flies too.

Had an enormous grasshopper in the lounge the other night. Big green fellow. Not scared of them - where's the logic in that?

dandysmom
14-10-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm next on the waiting list for Darcy, please! Leia doesn't bother with anything smaller than mice!

Moli
14-10-2008, 09:13 PM
I could loan someone Oliver, flies, spiders anythingLike that has no chance with him, but he does not catch mice....!!!

dandysmom
14-10-2008, 09:24 PM
He and Leia would make a good team then, Moli! When will he be over? :-D

meep
15-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Darcy and Oliver, spider hunters extraordinaire! :D

All Darcy's asks in return is that, whenever he starts meowing loudly, you pick him up and hug him for at least 10 minutes still he starts to purr so much it sounds like he's snoring :roll: Sounds like fun, but as he's such a big fellow my arms do start to ache after a while!

Hreow
15-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Rover's a fiend for the spiders and flies. <crunch><crunch><gulp> gone. I feel sorry for the former. I think he'd like to try mice. May he come on a seminar with Leia as well, DM? ^^

dandysmom
15-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Indeed, he'd be welcomed with open arms (by me, not sure about Leia!) But be warned, after the first few she gets bored and practices "catch and release"...so they are still alive somewhere in the house for her to re-catch!