PDA

View Full Version : Sick Persian

Michelle
13-10-2008, 04:19 AM
I have a male persian, 5 years old.
For the last. Starting yesterday is not eating and I have to give him water to keep him hydrated.
Vomiting and diarrhea but not there is no more vomiting neither diarrhea
There is also true that he didn't eat.
It looks like he tries to find a cold place to sleep and went for the litter box.
I will take him tomorrow to doctor but I wish I know where to start and what do ask. I didn't have a very good experiences with vets.
He urinated once after I forced him to drink water.
Very little. Nothing after that.
I have 2 more persians and they are fine.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Michelle

yola
13-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Hi Michelle - Welcome to Catsey, I too have 3 persians :D

Regarding your sick cat, I really think you must seek vet advice. If you cat has stopped vomitting then that's a good sign. Have you tried him with a little boiled fish or chicken to see if his tummy's settled? You've done the right thing by making him drink, but try not to stress him too much by forcing him too much. I would imagine if he is dehydrated he won't be peeing much, but the dehydration itself is a good reason to get him to the vet. I'd do this asap if I were you; and if you're not confident with your existing vet is there another one you could visit?

Good luck, please let us know how your little kitty gets on.

dandysmom
13-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Yola's said what I would have; do try to get him some vet help as soon as you can; and please let us know how he's doing.

Sorry your initial visit to Catsey is on a sad note; welcome anyhow!

Elaine
13-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Poor baby, he does need to see the vet asap in order to find out what has caused this and get him rehydrated again.
Best wishes to both of you xxx

Michelle
14-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks to all of you for the nice messages.
My cat is in the vet office for the second day.
Plugged bladder which I have suspected after reading more on the internet.
He feels better and hopefully he will come back home soon.
Would anybody give an idea of the cost of X-ray, and catherer in any other parts of the US?
The cost of this will throw me out of track I am sure.
Anyway, the most important part is that he feels better.

Michelle

Moli
14-10-2008, 10:48 PM
My boy Merlin had the same problem years ago, he was in the vets a week, but has had no problems since, sorry cannot help you with the cost though...no idea in the US....
Healing vibes coming for him...x

angieh
14-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Poor boy, so glad he's feeling better. Do let us know how he gets on.

And WELCOME TO CATSEY!

yola
14-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks to all of you for the nice messages.
My cat is in the vet office for the second day.
Plugged bladder which I have suspected after reading more on the internet.
He feels better and hopefully he will come back home soon.
Would anybody give an idea of the cost of X-ray, and catherer in any other parts of the US?
The cost of this will throw me out of track I am sure.
Anyway, the most important part is that he feels better.

Michelle

Being in the UK, I can't shed any light on costs. However I know something like that here would be in the region of £500 - that's what it cost to keep one of my cats in for 2 days and 1 night. When you say plugged bladder do you mean unrinary tract blockage? I hope however that your cat (what's his name by the way) makes a full recovery . . .

dandysmom
14-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm here in the States, but have never had a male with blockage so can't advise there as to costs. When my girl cat had cystitis, not as serious as with a male, she was only in to be examined and given an x-ray and antibiotics/anti inflammatories. I've forgotten the exact figure, was about $300.00 or more two years ago. Is your cat insured?

Michelle
15-10-2008, 02:30 AM
Thanks again,
His name is Baby. Baby for a very simple reason. He comes on my lap, turn on his back and falls a sleep in the next 20 seconds. Like a baby.
He will stay at the vet for 3 more days.
I have no insurance and in my ignorance I didn't even know I can insure my pets.
I understand that some of you (Moli) had this problem in the past(Urinary Tract Blockage) (Yes Yola). I also understand that food is the main factor to avoid it.
As the cost, for future reference, 4 days of hospital, X-ray, Antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, caterer, ....900 dollars.
Thanks for support.

Michelle

dandysmom
15-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Michelle, this is the firm I have my pet insurance with here. It's not too expensive, and sure beats being faced with a large vet bill such as you have now. You might want to give it a look.

http://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/?utm_id=2000

PoshPuss
18-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Michelle, I hope Baby is feeling better :) Although the pocketbook is a little lighter, I'm sure you think he is worth all the greenbacks in the world :D Did you get any luck with insurance? ( hope I'm not being a nosy parker! )

Natalie
18-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Any news on Baby? I'm sorry I have no experience on these matters but wanted to send you some hugs and Baby lots of get well soon vibes and cuddles x

Michelle
18-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Hello all,

I am Michelle's husband, Michael. I have no choice but to send Michelle away for 2-3 to relax. Baby ( the cat is feeling better.
As I spent a lot of time reading about stones, I was able to ask the vet a little more educated questions.
After the urine test shows no crystals, the book says it should be a stone called oxalate which can't be dissolved with diet or medication. The urine PH is acid and that's an other sign for an oxalate stone.The surgery will be the only option in the end. The stone is moved my pushing the catherer inside the bladder and the passage unblocked but in male cates never eliminated by flushing the bladder.
The stone didn't show in the X-ray but there are reasons for that to happen too.The best choice is the ultra-sound but at this point it was not needed.
The advice in the books is to take the cat to surgery if it happens again for the second time.
So, Baby is eating, and urinating nosmally right now. A half kid's aspirine and antibiotics is what I still give him.
There is a thing to know and might help all of you in in this situation. The vet sometimes, give the cat an underskin shot to hidrate the body especially after severe track blockage. The shot has a side effect and the belly of the cat looks swollen. There is nothing to worry. It goes away in a day.
That is what happened with and it kind of freaked me out especially because beeing weekend the vet was not in the office. Once again, thanks to the book I have read, the information was there.
Thanks for support, and I or Michelle will keep you posted.
Michael