PDA

View Full Version : SAD Lights

Mags
12-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Does anyone have one or has used one?

Moli
12-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Does anyone have one or has used one?

No, but seriously thinking of getting one...:?

calismum
12-10-2008, 10:44 PM
friend swears by his, has had it for 3 or 4 years and uses it October thru til March/April. His partner said that it has made a difference to how he is over winter months.

CM

Mags
12-10-2008, 10:45 PM
friend swears by his, has had it for 3 or 4 years and uses it October thru til March/April. His partner said that it has made a difference to how he is over winter months.

CM
That sounds promising CM, I was thinking of getting one but needed to know of other people's experiences with them first..

Moli
12-10-2008, 10:46 PM
That sounds promising CM, I was thinking of getting one but needed to know of other people's experiences with them first..

Think I may try one too, I really hate the short days....:?

Mags
12-10-2008, 10:48 PM
There are so many different ones about, it's difficult to know which one to choose ....I wouldn't want anything too big...

Moli
12-10-2008, 10:49 PM
There are so many different ones about, it's difficult to know which one to choose ....I wouldn't want anything too big...

I do not know anything about them, think I will have a google and see what you can get.....

calismum
12-10-2008, 10:52 PM
The other thing he also has is a light that comes on to simulate dawn. He adjusts the time this comes on as the light in the mornings change. He said this is good too as he is more refreshed in the morning rather than feeling he has been dragged awake.

Can ask him for some more info if you want?

CM

Mags
12-10-2008, 10:57 PM
The other thing he also has is a light that comes on to simulate dawn. He adjusts the time this comes on as the light in the mornings change. He said this is good too as he is more refreshed in the morning rather than feeling he has been dragged awake.

Can ask him for some more info if you want?

CM
Yes please CM, that would be a big help if you could get some info on it....:D

calismum
12-10-2008, 10:58 PM
no probs - will see him at work tomorrow.

CM

dandysmom
12-10-2008, 10:58 PM
That would be nice, CM. I've thought about one, but haven't really done any research. I think I have a mild case of SAD ......

Moli
12-10-2008, 11:00 PM
no probs - will see him at work tomorrow.

CM

I would be interested to CM....:)

calismum
12-10-2008, 11:03 PM
I'll post whatever he says here then anyone who picks up on the post and is interested can see it.

Off to read no - night all

CM

Mags
12-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks.......and night CM :D

Moli
12-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Night CM....

dandysmom
12-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Night CM....

Sleep well, CM!

Elvisisboss
13-10-2008, 01:21 AM
hiya my sister has one as she said she has SAD. feels down in the darker months, better in the lighter months
she said it had made alot of difference and i think she has had it well over 18months now.

only thing is she doesnt beleive in any sort of depression :? she goes by Tony Robbins rule of you can get yourself out of 'any' depression and cure yourself of ANY illness by eating healthy & exercise & telling yourself you are better..... :?
so im not sure how she can have this if she is meant to jump up and down and be fine as she keeps telling me to do...after 13years do you really think jumping up n down works? Hmmm they goes all mediction and councilors out the window...jumpings/eating healthy the new cure...:shock:

Anyway!
i suffer with depression, have done since i was 12 (25now) & i also have Sereve PMDD, to me it doesnt matter its light or dark i Still have it, weather doesnt affect me, infact i prefer winter i really dislike being hot and try to avoid it at all costs!!! :oops:

meep
13-10-2008, 12:43 PM
I've been thinking of getting a light box for a while. Not so much for SAD (I don't think I suffer from it, but living in Scotland sunshine is somewhat of a rarity so maybe I'm actually in a constant low state without realising :lol: ) but for waking up in the morning. Waking up to an alarm is supposed to jolt you awake and make you feel groggy, whereas I know when I go home to my dads, my bedroom there has really thing blinds and is east facing, so I naturally wake up to the sun rise and always feel wonderful!

So I'd be keen to invest in one if it'll mean I'm happy about waking up rather than hitting my alarm and hoping snooze wont come around as fast as it normally does...

calismum
13-10-2008, 08:01 PM
OK guys, as promised, spoke to Bill today and these are his ‘words of wisdom’

Firstly he said he would never be without it.

Things have moved on a lot since he bought his light box so he is only speaking from the view of an older technology user. The strength of the light dictates how long you have to sit in front of it. His means he has to sit for about 2 hours but there are ones on the market now that do the same in 30 – 40 mins.

Although a lot of products will say you can split it up over the day he thinks it works better to sit in one session and read a book or do some work, etc. You need to face the light but not look directly into it and sit about 3 feet away. If your work allows then that is ideal as you’re sitting at a desk anyway.

You should start when the evenings start to get longer and keep going right through to April. – he starts 1st October and you need to sit every day or you won’t get full benefit. It might take up to a month to work.

He tries to do his session around the same time each day, but after 8 at night he finds keeps him awake.

He has also replaced his kitchen, bathroom and living room bulbs with ‘daylight’ or Full Spectrum Daylight Bulbs.

He also uses a dawn light – this he sets for full intensity at around 6am, he thinks this has been a great boost as he had real problems getting up in the winter months. He has heard that some people put their SAD box by the bed and put it on a timer. He tried this and said it was too bright to waken up to.

He also takes Vitamin d supplement.

Three final suggestions – speak to GP before using to make sure you have no reason not to use (he thinks some types of migraine, epilepsy and depression)
See if you can find a manufacturer who will let you have a 30 day trial.
If you’re not sure try ebay for a cheap one and make a decision after that.

Hope that helps.

CM

dandysmom
13-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks for posting that, CM, very helpful! A bit more complicated than I'd envisioned; didn't realize you had to sit in front of it for so long.

Moli
13-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for posting that, CM, very helpful! A bit more complicated than I'd envisioned; didn't realize you had to sit in front of it for so long.

Neither did I DM:?

Mags
13-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info CM, very interesting and sounds like it would be ideal for someone working at a desk all day. I think I'll investigate the ones that only take 30 - 40 mins...;) There appear to be quite a few different kinds on the market......it's just finding the right one..:)