PDA

View Full Version : Are the dark nights making a difference....

Moli
12-10-2008, 10:29 PM
To you, I seem to be getting really tired earlier now....:?

calismum
12-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I've always been a night person - I'm awful in the morning, don't even look at me until I've caffiened up and have been awake for at least an hour.

So - I don't notice being more tired, just don't get as much outside work done so have to work twice as hard during the daylight!!!!

CM

Moli
12-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Normally I am up till midnight, then read in bed for an hour, but lately come 11 I am having trouble keeping my eyes open.....

Mags
12-10-2008, 10:53 PM
I think the longer nights do affect how you feel, I start yawning round about 10ish! :lol:

Moli
12-10-2008, 10:54 PM
I think the longer nights do affect how you feel, I start yawning round about 10ish! :lol:

Well its either that or old age creeping up on me:?

calismum
12-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, I'm in bed just now. Just about to log off and then will read for a while. Usually go to bed about 1130pm.

Not noticed getting tired earlier.

CM

angieh
12-10-2008, 11:13 PM
It's the time of life Moli, with me at least. I used to sleep so well but now I'm awake at anything from 3.30 through to 6.00 and just dozing off when the alarm goes off at 7.00, so basically I'm tired most of the time so I can't confirm either way whether its the darker nights.

Moli
12-10-2008, 11:16 PM
It's the time of life Moli, with me at least. I used to sleep so well but now I'm awake at anything from 3.30 through to 6.00 and just dozing off when the alarm goes off at 7.00, so basically I'm tired most of the time so I can't confirm either way whether its the darker nights.

I can sleep Angie, once I am off, nothing wakes me......:?

angieh
12-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Count your blessings!

dandysmom
12-10-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm a night person; hate to go to bed. Usually in bed at 11 pm to watch the late night news, then read till about 12:30 am. But cannot sleep as late as I'd like now, and used to do; up about 8 am. I'm refreshed and not tired, but don't have the energy I once had...attribute that to ageing! Really no difference between the seasons .....

meep
13-10-2008, 12:39 PM
I'd say the dark nights do affect my energy levels, not just tiredness, but when it's dark outside you don't really want to go out and sit on the couch watching tv, instead of being out in the park or in a cafe enjoying the sunshine and brightness! I like my sleep anyway, and have always needs 8 hours or more. I've been making more a positive effort to get to bed on time and avoid groggy mornings.

The lack of sunlight has definately had an effect on our two, they used to wake us up around 5am but now are content to sleep with us right through to our alarms at 7.30. Thanks goodness!

angieh
13-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Just out of interest, what are your lighting up times?

meep
13-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Angie, do you mean the natural sunset and sunrise times?

From the BBC I got these, Sunrise 07:20
Sunset 18:13.

Looking at those times made me realise just how little light we're getting now! 6.15, jeezo! :shock:

I think my boys have begun to realise we simply won't get up until the alarm goes off, so it's partly learning, but I've noticed they're generally sleeping more now that it's a bit darker (despite cats being nocturnal!)

angieh
13-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I've opened up a whole can o'worms for myself here! "Lighting up times" used to be published in local newspapers etc. but it seems that apart from The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 (see below) they are no longer a legal requirement. I am trying to find out how to get an accurate location of my nearest town so that I can get sunset and sunrise from a US Astrological site!!!! So hang on - I'm still trying to find out what it is on the South Coast!!!

"Lighting-up time

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations, 1989, make the use of front and rear position lamps compulsory on vehicles during the period between sunset and sunrise.

Headlamps are required on vehicles during the hours of darkness which are defined by these regulations as being the interval between one half-hour after sunset to one half-hour before sunrise.

Lights are also required at other times when visibility is restricted.

Sunrise and sunset are defined by these regulations as local sunrise and sunset."

:-D :-D :-D

Mags
13-10-2008, 02:55 PM
In Bristol sunrise is 07.30 and sunset 18.23 today.....:)

dandysmom
13-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Different continent, different latitude, but here sunrise today is 7:13 am, sunset at 6:32 pm. We're still on Daylight Saving Time, so will just get worse.....:(

angieh
13-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Found a much easier site! http://www.schoolsobservatory.org.uk/cgi-bin/srs_uk.cgi

Sunrise 7.22 am
Sunset 6.13 pm

We are currently still with British Summer Time here too Eileen.

Can't believe that the above times are so close to those for Glasgow!

dandysmom
13-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Found a much easier site! http://www.schoolsobservatory.org.uk/cgi-bin/srs_uk.cgi

Sunrise 7.22 am
Sunset 6.13 pm

We are currently still with British Summer Time here too Eileen.

Can't believe that the above times are so close to those for Glasgow!

How I wish we'd stay on it year round! By the time we reach the Winter solstice sunset is at 4:45 pm!! :(

Moli
13-10-2008, 05:40 PM
How I wish we'd stay on it year round! By the time we reach the Winter solstice sunset is at 4:45 pm!! :(

We are more or less the same DM, gets dark about 4pm.....