PDA

View Full Version : Bulbs anyone?

Kazz
12-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Has anyone else started or finished planting thier Spring bulbs for next year yet? if so what have you planted.

Mags
12-10-2008, 10:42 AM
I left my bulbs in from last year Kazz........hopefully they'll flower this Spring..:)

Kazz
12-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I left mine in from last year to Mags but added more this year. Hoping for at least a resonable show this year.

Moli
12-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Thats one thing I do not like....bulbs, although I do have a fair few in my garden....

Kazz
12-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Why don't you like thm Moli I am eginning to love mine and planting quite alot in bulb form these days.

Moli
12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
They get so messy Kazz, we have strong winds and they just end up broken an messy...

Kazz
12-10-2008, 07:40 PM
They get so messy Kazz, we have strong winds and they just end up broken an messy...

You do know you are supposed to plant the bulbs don't you Pat not sit them on the dirt.........:roll: ;)

Moli
12-10-2008, 07:42 PM
You do know you are supposed to plant the bulbs don't you Pat not sit them on the dirt.........:roll: ;)

Oh!!! now that may make a difference:roll: :lol: :lol: They are planted deep Kazz, but as I said one day of wind and theya re all broken and look awful....:roll:

dandysmom
12-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Mine are on order; too early for planting here. They are:

12 Camassia quamash
12 Anemone de Caen Dr. Fokker
24 blue Anemone blanda

Hope they survive the squirrels! I think you suspect I exaggerate the squirrel damage; well, last Autumn my next door neighbor put in 100 daffodils....come Spring, approximately 20 survived....

Moli
12-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Mine are on order; too early for planting here. They are:

12 Camassia quamash
12 Anemone de Caen Dr. Fokker
24 blue Anemone blanda

Hope they survive the squirrels! I think you suspect I exaggerate the squirrel damage; well, last Autumn my next door neighbor put in 100 daffodils....come Spring, approximately 20 survived....
Ooops, isn't there anything you could scatter round them DM to deter the little ***!!!

dandysmom
12-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Ooops, isn't there anything you could scatter round them DM to deter the little ***!!!

Maybe, but haven't found it yet! Have tried: moth balls, cayenne pepper, coyote urine. and Small Critter Repellant. To no avail. :(

calismum
12-10-2008, 09:54 PM
If I can get to garden centre in time I'm going to try chionodoxa and Emperor tulips perhaps in a tub in a sheltered spot. They were suggested by dandysmom and I looked them up, thought they would be worth a try.

I already have loads of daffs and snowdrops in this garden which must have been here for years as they are really well established and are a blaze in the spring. I'd love to grow lily of the valley but last twice it has just not survived the slugs, rabbits and hare. Don't know how it would do in a tub.

CM

dandysmom
12-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Oh, I'm pleased you're going to try those; hope they do well! I'd suspect lily of the valley would do OK in a tub, they're pretty tough; could you cover the tub with netting till they get established, or would the hares/rabbits get at them anyhow?

Or you could try some of the squirrel deterrents I listed above...maybe the rabbits aren't as determined as the awful grey squirrels!

calismum
12-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Oh, I'm pleased you're going to try those; hope they do well! I'd suspect lily of the valley would do OK in a tub, they're pretty tough; could you cover the tub with netting till they get established, or would the hares/rabbits get at them anyhow?

Or you could try some of the squirrel deterrents I listed above...maybe the rabbits aren't as determined as the awful grey squirrels!

We get the odd squirrel but not enough to warrant the damage done. I think most is done by the hares. If I do a tub I usually net it until it gets going.

Noticed today that the philadelphia has been 'trimmed' by something with teeth. Think I need to net the whole place. We would have to get in through a double net system :lol:

Looking forward to seeing how the chionodoxa and Emperor tulips do. Still considering some crocus.

CM