PDA

View Full Version : OK! need advice, would this be possible? or is it selfish?

Elvisisboss
12-10-2008, 12:25 AM
OK! Elvis is 11, he doesnt like other cats But he has had a couple of cat mates in his time.

i want him to come and live with me....... and Taylor......... taylor is 20 weeks he will be neutered at 9 months so i will wait to 'try' this till after then. Elvis was neutered like 10.5years back!

i have the cat hormone thing you plug in and when Elvis come to live with me after i had move out for 2years he settled in the Same night with this on. but i had to go into rented & he went back to my dads where he has been for 3years now, settled as he grew up there But lonely.

would this ever work out with both of them? together? with me? or am i just being selfish wanting them both with me?

how could i even introduce them? if they started fighting (and Elvis used to (in his younger days!) pick on cats...and foxes...) hed do alot of damage as Tay is very small and Elvis well....triple his weght & size!

then im getting the puppy..........

this is pretty pointless isnt it? i know the answer really dont i! it is all lost and selfish or could it work out..............:cat9 :cat25 :cat9

Elaine
12-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Gee thats alot to answer:lol:
It may well be possible and then again it may not be, it can also be seen as selfish and i dont mean that to sound harsh or have a go. Just that we, as humans, tend to do these things because we want more pets etc and we can be guilty of dressing it up as thinking of the animals but thats not to say you shouldnt try.
As for introductions, I would advise that you take it slowly. Make sure they both have safe places to go. This link might help.
http://www.understandinganimals.com/article/7

You know some cats are happier on their own and best left where they are, provided they are being well cared for and looked after.
Either way, you have alot of time to think it all through and do what you think best for every one.

Just so as you dont think I am being negative about it but rather trying to be a realist, here are some errors I have made.
Winston always had a companion, they got on very well but when that companion died, not long after Winston was diagnosed with CRF. The vets convinced me it would be good for Winston to have another companion and a kitten would give him a new lease of life. My selfish side thought, oh how sweet a new kitten.
Along came Eva. Winston accepted her well enough but it was not the best thing to do for him. He was an old boy and didnt have the energy for her and as she got bigger, she could be a bit of a bully towards him. Hind sight tells me that this was not a good idea because i dont think it was fair on the old fella.
I knew Winston wasnt going to be around forever and again, selfishly, I wanted another cat as i had always had cats in pairs, I also wanted to help a rescue cat and didnt want Eva to be lonely.
Along came Bernie, it took a good 6 months to introduce Bernie into the home because Eva was having none of it. It was quite stressful at times but we got there. I dont have two cuddly cats though, they tolerate each other.
Now i can dress all that up and say I was thinking of them but was I really?

Elvisisboss
12-10-2008, 06:13 PM
yeh i know, hence the 'selfish' bit of me, i want them both here on my lap being friends!!!!!!!!

but it isnt going to happen is it?

i thoguht of doing a 2day trial just to see how it goes if elvis knows im here etc it MIGHT be ok but in real life.........really? so sad i miss him so much :(

alexgirl73
12-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Of course it's selfish, but then we are all like that with our cats, otherwise they would all be only furbabies. I honestly have no idea whether you could introduce them or not, but ((hugs)) to you as it must be so difficult to be without your beloved Elvis.

Elvisisboss
12-10-2008, 08:13 PM
i really miss him :(

he has been scared of me lately as he was ill so it was vets every other day for injections! .........and now when he sees me he thinks 'Vets' and he runs away :( :( :(

ive just manged to get some trust back so he comes up to me now, but very wary incase i try and pick him up if i do you can tell he panics thinking im going to put him in his vet basket :( so sad to watch just want whats best for him

Hreow
12-10-2008, 08:19 PM
If you are also getting a puppy... I think it would be too much of a tripple knock-out with the vet and then a new place and new kitten, and then a puppy as well.
I really feel for you, though... I know what it is like to leave a much-loved cat behind. It's definitely an UNselfish thing to consider the impact before you put something into action that will be hard for all of you, and irreversible.

Elvisisboss
12-10-2008, 08:21 PM
yeh he is ok at home he has my daddy, he grew up with him and the lodgers who fuss him he has his 'patch' everyone in the street knows him (even people further know him!) so its just me being selfish, wish it was easyer!!

Hreow
12-10-2008, 08:23 PM
<<<<hug>>>>

Elvisisboss
12-10-2008, 08:30 PM
aww thanks! *hUgs* back! :cat21

Moli
12-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Think at Elvis's age he would be better to stay where he is settled....a new kitten, plus a pup is a lot for the old boy to have to get used to....

calismum
12-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Agree with what everone has advised/said. Only thing I would add is that if you are going to try it 2 days is no use, would need to be more like 2 weeks or so. Can you keep them in different rooms to start so they can hear and smell each other but not get into a fight. Probably easier bringing him into new territory than kitten into his but then if it worked out a puppy might create a whole new set of probs.

I have been very lucky with all my cat/dog/cat/cat intros but I know it doesn't always go so smoothly.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

CM

Elvisisboss
12-10-2008, 10:40 PM
hiya diff rooms not really possible at all elvis is pure outdoor cat wont stay in or use litter tray etc

im going to leave it, i just want him with me but his better off where he is *sigh!*

calismum
12-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Think that's probably the best then.

CM

Moli
12-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Think you are right......