PDA

View Full Version : Knitting anyone?

angieh
11-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Does anyone here enjoy knitting? I'm trying to think of something to do during the long dark evenings. There's the Catsey bookclub and Catsey too of course, but sometimes you need to do something else .....................

I fancied knitting myself a cardi - bit old fashioned I know, but I could use a jazzy wool and it would be cosy! Only thing is, although I have knitted before, I've never done any cabling.

http://www.modernknitting.co.uk/cardigan-s8485-15024-0.html

Moli
11-10-2008, 05:34 PM
I used to knit a lot, did quite a few arran sweaters.....It looks difficult, but is not at all....

pinklizzy
11-10-2008, 05:40 PM
I love knitting but I've never done anything as complicated as cabling!
My sister gave me a lovely book of patterns that I really want to try but a lot of them involve using double-pointed needles and I don't know where to start.

Moli
11-10-2008, 05:41 PM
I love knitting but I've never done anything as complicated as cabling!
My sister gave me a lovely book of patterns that I really want to try but a lot of them involve using double-pointed needles and I don't know where to start.
You just knit in a circle with them PL....:)

angieh
11-10-2008, 05:47 PM
............ I was also looking at socks on the same website. There is a really useful looking hint page there too PL which tells you about using DP needles. I also fancy a lovely pair of alpaca or angora bedsocks!

pinklizzy
11-10-2008, 05:53 PM
I'll have a look at it, thanks Angie. I need to get some DP needles too.

Mags
11-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Cable is quite easy when you get the hang of it.......you use a double pointed needle for the actual cabling pattern. It's just taking three stitches off to the front of your work and knitting onto the spare cabling needle for the twist one way......work so many rows then on the next cabling row where the twist goes the other way you work the cable the same but with the three stitches to the back of your work.

I expect that sounds as clear as mud Angie but it does work when you are actually doing it.....it's the explaining that's the difficult bit!! :-D

angieh
11-10-2008, 06:30 PM
I think I may give it a go - just have to decide now what colour wool ........... ho hum..........

May have to shout for help later on though!

pinklizzy
11-10-2008, 06:35 PM
let us know how it goes Angie, maybe some pics ;)

dandysmom
11-10-2008, 09:13 PM
I knitted in my younger days; worked on a green cable stitch sweater all thru college; by the time I finally finished I was sick of it!! Seriously, cable stitch isn't that difficult; Moli explained it very well. At that time a lot of my high school friends were having babies, so I churned out baby booties by the dozens! Maybe you could find a pattern for cat booties for Merlin.....though, being a cat he probably would hate them! Haven't knitted in years; switched to crewel embroidery and needlepoint. Those are good ways to pass a long Winter evening also....

pinklizzy
11-10-2008, 09:24 PM
:-D Cat booties DM!
I've just finished knitting some booties and a hat for a lady I met on another forum, her baby is due in December and I'm posting them out to her in Australia.
I'm also finishing off a knitted teddy bear for my cousin's baby. I like to knit small things as I find them easier and I'm actually allergic to wool so can't knit anything for myself to wear :roll:

dandysmom
11-10-2008, 10:32 PM
I was half-joking about cat booties, no self-respecting cat I know would wear them, but it would be nice to think of our dear patriarch Merlin having some lovely warm angora booties for his cold little feet! Leia (and I) are very glad you like knitting little things...the blue mouse is very popular with a certain four-footed person in this house!