PDA

View Full Version : Archiebald has an absess!

Brigoose
10-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Around a week ago archie went very quite, i was feeling him all over everday and nothing had come up, his stomach was swollen but as i had wormed him a couple of days previous figured out it was that. He perked up for few days, but then this morning a HUGE absess had come up under his fur, at least 5/6 inches long and 2 wide. Hes getting it drained tomorrow morning.
Has anyone elses cats ever had absess's? Weve had rabbits in the past that have had them, but the outcome was not good:cry: ... im really worried about him, i figured having it drained would be better for him rather than them sticking him on antibiotics for a week and seeing if it helps:roll:
How are absess's caused? he doesnt get fed junk, we did rescue him though, and he was v.malnutrioned when we first got him. Just worried their going to start popping up all over the place:cry:

Moli
10-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Two of mine have had abcesses, they were due to a bite by another cat, they had them drained, then were put on AB's for a week, after which they were as right as rain...

pinklizzy
10-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Sorry to hear Archiebald hasn't been feeling well.
Cat abscesses are usually caused by fight wounds (cat's teeth and claws are very good at driving bacteria deep into the skin, causing a build-up of exudative pus) or can be related to the anal glands or the teeth. We see them quite often in practice.
Any cat with a compromised immune system will be more prone to abscess formation, if you are worried about him and his history before you rescued him, maybe get him tested for FIV/FeLV?
Hopefully the vet will be able to easily drain it, once the skin has been opened, maybe try bathing it with warm water to keep it open and draining.
It's likely he'll need covering antibiotics too as they can cause a systemic illness-fever etc.

Brigoose
10-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Yes a few weeks ago we rescued another kitten, hes very feisty and they have both been play fighting, i think i will keep them seperated or at least try until sox has been neutered and is allowed outside as he is taking his pent up energy out on archie and archie is very submissive, so he probably would let sox eat a whole leg before stopping him.
As soon as i found him he got all his blood tested, jabs done,neutered etc

Thanks for the replies

Kim
11-10-2008, 10:09 PM
My Birman used to be a fighter in his younger days and regularly had abcesses from fights. I used to open them up, drain out the pus and regularly bathe them ins cooled, boiled salted water. I only ever took him to the vets if it was a particularly nasty abcess or I felt it wasn't getting better.

kado
12-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Guinness has got an absess on his face after a fight with mickey my neighbours cat its healed then they did it again so i am off to the vets on tuesday morning with him. Last time he had one he had to have a collar on i think he needs one on again.

jane