PDA

View Full Version : Frontline Spot on

angieh
10-10-2008, 05:50 PM
I popped into my vet this morning to pick up some more metacam for Merlin and asked the lady on reception if they had had any complaints from other "patients" about Frontline Spot on not working as it used to. She confirmed that the practice has had reports about this and are now prescribing another flea spot on treatment. The information is going to the senior partners who are in touch with the manufacturer. She said she thought it strange that the reliability of the product went down as soon as it started being available without prescription - the inference being that the "recipe" has altered.

I felt very reassured to know that vet practices do act on information passed to them by their customers - it is after all the only way that the drug companies get any feedback on their products. So if you have doubts about Frontline killing fleas on your cats or dogs, please let your vet know. I would think you all do that anyway, but just in case!

I am taking Merlin to the vet again next week and I'll ask about the alternative. Mags said that her vet prescribed Advocate, but I have looked at the contra indications for this product and there do seem to be question marks about use in elderly/poorly animals. I'll let you know what my vet practice is prescribing next week!

yola
10-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I use Advantage which is also a spot-on. I use it on Fifi without any adverse effects (and have done since she was a kitten); but then seeing as she's 1/2 Merlin's age that's not much of a testament :shock:

Kazz
10-10-2008, 06:03 PM
I use Stronghold for Sal but its prescribed by the vet. My be to strong for Merlin

yola
10-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Following on from Karen, I should say that mine is prescrition-only too.

kado
10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
I only can use frontline spray for guinness has he is too large for the spot on as he is with many of the others as well. I dont think it is working properley as well

Fran
10-10-2008, 09:38 PM
I have been buying frontline online for the dogs and cats and have not had any problems or fleas. I haven't noticed any changes in it since it was available without prescription :?

Mags
10-10-2008, 09:47 PM
My vet is now recommending Advocate and Advantage to clients in preference to Frontline as there have been so many complaints about it...

Fran
10-10-2008, 09:57 PM
No problems with Frontline here I am pleased to report. I do however, occasionally use Stronghold instead as I do think that if you always use the same product continually the fleas will become resistant much the same as what has happened with antibiotics and head lice treatments in humans

angieh
10-10-2008, 10:59 PM
I have been buying frontline online for the dogs and cats and have not had any problems or fleas. I haven't noticed any changes in it since it was available without prescription :?

That's interesting Fran. I wonder if geographically some fleas have become immune to it, rather than the manufacturers changing its properties?

Elvisisboss
11-10-2008, 12:31 AM
oh wow isnt that weird? have they changed the ingredients??

elvis *TOUCH WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!* only had fleas once as a very small kitten when i brought him home i use frontline & some others but the name escapes me right now!

havent used anything on taylor since i got him used a front line and ive left it now it doesnt seem worth it, he doesnt go out.

truthisouthere
06-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Funny you should mention...I used some Frontline only yesterday (with reluctance as my 2 are both elderly and I don't think chemicals are good to use too much) and I was quite suprised it didn't smell as strong as it used to.

Mags
06-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Funny you should mention...I used some Frontline only yesterday (with reluctance as my 2 are both elderly and I don't think chemicals are good to use too much) and I was quite suprised it didn't smell as strong as it used to.

I wonder if that's the reason you can buy it online without a prescription now........ it's not as reliable as the other brands anymore..:?