PDA

View Full Version : Older, recently blind cat, with litter tray problems.

mjg
09-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi All.

I am looking for advice on how to deal with a recently blind cat that is no longer using a litter tray or any "sensible" location for the toilet.

To give a bit of background, she is a family cat and is now at least 16 (we weren't sure how old she was when we got her, so could be approaching 20) but still is in very good shape, lack of vision aside. She has always been a well adapted animal and was fully house trained.

Sadly, about 6 months ago she had a stroke that left her completely blind. I'm very happy to say that she has adapted fantastically, but she has started to develop a habit of simply going to the toilet in a corner, wherever she may be, and no longer seeks out a litter tray or a flower bed. She has always been very territorial and still likes to roam outside (despite her lack of vision, having lived in the same place for 16 years, she actively seeks this right and can't easily be kept inside - we also live up a quiet cul-de-sac so the risks for her are low) but has started to poop either by the front door, on the path near it, or other less glamerous locations. My assumption is that she is confused about where she can go outside - lacking the ability to find a flower bed or garden corner in the same way she used to.

I was hoping that someone out there might have some advice as to how to resolve her toilet problems. She remains healthy and active despite her blindness, but needless to say, cat poo on the front door step twice a day is a problem for us, particularly my parents who are now retired and regularly hosting the grand children.

We've bought a "covered litter tray" for her to use when she decides to remain outside for the day or night, but are struggling to get her to use it. Any advice from people who have had a similar experience would be very much appreciated.

She is a much loved little cat, with years of life left in her. She has adapted to blindness in a way that is enviable. But we desperately need help with resolving this as it is unhealthy for all concerned.

Any thoughts would be very welcome indeed.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

yola
09-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Hi Matt, and welcome. I've not got experience of a blind cat but I would suggest the following. Is she still happy to go outside? My friend in Brighton had a cat which went blind (as well as deaf, poor thing), and he was very nervous of stepping out of doors.

Having bought a covered litter tray might not have been such a good idea, especially if she had no experience of them prior to loosing her sight. She might simply be confused by it now.

I would suggest placing lots of open litter trays in different locations so she finds it easy to 'spend a penny'. If you can put some old litter with her scent in each tray as well as clean litter that should help her identify the tray's purpose.

That's all I can propose at the moment, I'm sure other bods will be along soon with better suggestions.

Mags
09-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Hello Matt, welcome to Catsey..

Sorry to hear that your dear cat has been left blind following a stroke but pleased she has adapted so well.

I agree with Yola's suggestion of leaving a few extra litter trays around the house...... at her age, if she has a sudden urge to 'go' she will most likely locate a litter tray quicker.

I personally would keep her in at night as she's blind - does she have a cat flap?

The covered litter tray may confuse her if she has never seen one before. I have a covered one for my cat but I had to take the flap door right off before she would use it .....maybe you could try that..

mjg
09-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi

Many thanks for your replies. I think the idea of lots of litter trays with a bit of her old litter is a great idea. You're both probably quite right that the covered litter tray wasn't the right approach - a tabby can't change their spots after all :)

After she first had the stroke, she was both immediately blind and slightly paralysed on one side. We all feared the worst, but her movement came back after 2 or 3 weeks and she is now physically fine.

In this time she remained inside and slowly regained her confidence in moving around (though the first couple of days were tough and she had some bangs and bunps). Now she moves around the house at normal walking speed, turning corners and ducking under coffee tables as if she can see them! It is amazing how much a cat can sense through their whiskers, and when she does head in the wrong direction and start veering into something, any whisker contact and she will immediately correct herself before she bangs into it. Not sure if there is anywhere i could attach a video or her navigating her way around in these forums, but i'm sure many of you cat lovers would be fascinated with how capable she has become :)

A couple of months ago i returned one day to see her jumping out of an open window (we live in a bungalow) and dropping gracefully as a seeing cat would onto the path about 2 feet below, before walking confidently towards the garden where she started to sun herself. I can only assume she had done it before as she seemed to know exactly where the ground was. We don't have a cat flap, but on wanting to get back into the house she found her way back to the back door and gave us a meow to let us know she was there like she always did. It was at this point we decided that we wouldn't stop her going outside if she chose to.

Of course i have concerns about her going out - particularly from other cats or foxes, but the road is quiet and she doesn't seem to venture far. We've built a little outside home for her with cushions and a heater that she can go in if she is outside and its gets cold or rainy and we often see her napping in there. On a handful of occasions she has slept there overnight despite us calling her in (though only when it was really warm). The only issue is her recent toilet behaviour, and that is generally only outside, and hopefully your ideas will help with that - i'll let you know!

Anyway, i'm starting to ramble. Thanks again for your thoughts and the kind welcome and i hope i'll be able to contribute to what feels like a very caring forum.

Matt

Mags
09-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks for giving us her history Matt, she sounds like a grand old lady ......what do you call her?

It's amazing how cats do adapt to being blind. One of our members fostered a blind Siamese not so long ago and he was as agile as a sighted cat.

We would love to see a video of her if you have one ....... we have a section called Your Cats Videos where you could post it if you wish...... there is a sticky at the top of the section which will explain how you can get your videos posted.....

http://www.catsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Elaine
09-10-2008, 08:55 PM
She sounds like quite a character, would love to see some piccies of her.
I once had a blind kitty but he was blind from birth, so it made no difference to him whatso ever. I would often find him hanging from curtain tops etc.:D

angieh
09-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi Matt and welcome to Catsey. I am pleased that your lovely cat recovered from her stroke. You do write about her with such affection. We'd love to see a picture of her!

Do hope that you can solve her toileting problems - I think the advice given earlier is the first step. Hope it works.

Moli
09-10-2008, 10:59 PM
I fostered a 6-7 Blind siamese, he had an accident a couple of years previous that left him blind.....It did not really affect him that much, he came here to a strange house with 3 dogs and 5 cats and settled in quite well, we had a few hissy, spitty moments, but nothing major....
He was amazing, had no trouble getting about, could jump up on the chairs, and if i opened a cupboard he was in it!
I gave him a covered litter tray without a swing door as he seemed happier with that as opposed to an ordinary one....
If you called him, he came straight toyou....
He has now settled into his new home perfectly, no problems at all, manages stairs like any sighted cat....
They are amazing, seem to adapt very well to losing their sight.