PDA

View Full Version : Merlin's blood test results

angieh
08-10-2008, 04:39 PM
The blood test results were not very good, but remember Merlin is 22 years old.

He is anaemic - because his kidneys are not great and not producing sufficient erithropotein to stimulate his bone marrow to make red blood cells. Also his liver function parameters are up a bit, but that could be caused by the fact that he had a course of steroids in July.

The vet is not prepared to do a dental op for Merlin as this would risk renal failure and therefore advises keeping him on his metacam, with perhaps the option of vitamin B and an anabolic steroid if he has eating problems again in the future. I did ask about other painkillers but the vet told me that there are none others licensed for use with cats that do not have side effects.

Actually, he is eating well today and seems more like his old self.

If anyone has any suggestions - we are always open to your thoughts, dear Catsey aunts.

PoshPuss
08-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Dear Angie, this must sound all very disappointing to you but it seems you have come to terms with the fact that Merlin is old and failing. :(
Just keeping him comfy now is as much as can be expected of you. Every day will be precious and I'm glad to hear he's eating again :) Take time to have lots of cuddles and make memories. In my thoughts, XXX

dandysmom
08-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Oh Angie, I wish the news were better...well, at least he's eating and doesn't have to have dental surgery. Trying to look on the positive side....

Hugs, cuddles and positive vibes coming.....

kado
08-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Give him a big cuddle from me as well

jane(hugs))

Mags
08-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Not good news Angie but I suppose it was to be expected ...... he has reached a wonderful age. Your vet appears to be very sympathetic towards Merlin's needs and has been very honest with you.

I'm delighted to hear that Merlin is eating better, that will help him keep his strength up, bless him..:D

Sending the special fella lots of cuddles.... and hugs to you....

Kazz
08-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Hiya Angie...sounds about what you would expect given his history.

Right the next sentence I say because it cannot be avoided really.

What did the vet say or did you enquire about having him PTS is the condition worsens..... ?

calismum
08-10-2008, 07:18 PM
For a 22 year old his results must be around average?

I am no expert but is there any homeopathic pain reducing medications that might be ok to give in addition to metacalm?

Give him loads of cuddles from us and some special tuna or sardines as a little treat.

CM

Moli
08-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Hugs and thoughts with you both...xx

angieh
08-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Hiya Angie...sounds about what you would expect given his history.

Right the next sentence I say because it cannot be avoided really.

What did the vet say or did you enquire about having him PTS is the condition worsens..... ?

The vet did say that he is not a kitty in immediate danger (or words to that effect), so no, I did not ask at this point.

Phoenix
08-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Give him plenty of strokes and love from me please angieh!

I think all you can do at the moment is carry on as you are and make him as comfortable as possible.

Elaine
08-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Angie, vitamin B supplements are a good idea. I used to give Winston a B vit supplement with trace iron and I beleive thats why he never became aneamic, which is something that CRF cats are very prone to. The supplement was called Pet Tinic.
http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm
You can get alot of info about treatemnts here.

dandysmom
08-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Interesting that Elaine posted that; I'd been wondering about iron supplements also but hadn't gotten around to Googling it yet......

angieh
08-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks for that link Elaine. There is loads to take on board there.

farthing
08-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Sorry to hear about Merlin's results, but they are probably not too bad for a 22 year old.
I was under the impression that steroids should not be given along with metacam, so I would confirm that anything being used alongside metacam doesn't have any contraindications.
Our vets are actually using tramadol tablets in dogs in chronic pain, where metacam is becoming less effective in controlling it, so it may be an option for cats also.

We had Misty in for a dental at the age of 19 this year, some of her blood perameters were up a wee bit, but the vets and I decided we had to do something if she couldn't eat. The plan was to drip her before, during and after the op. She wouldn't let them put a line in before she was sedated,but was dripped during and after the op and was fine. She now seems to prefer brekkies to her tinned food again!

angieh
08-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Just to clarify - I did not give Merlin his metacam while he was on the steroid tablets and not for 48 hours after he finished the course - the vet did warn me about that.

When Merlin had his cyst operation in June, he was on fluids for 24 hours prior to and after the operation. I think at that point it was a case that he had repeatedly been on antibiotics to kill the infection in the cyst and that was no longer working, so there really was no alternative. Bloods were done and all precautions taken - there was a risk, but it had to be weighed against the infection which was obviously draining to his general well being.

With the dental problems he is currently having, the antibiotics are currently working, and he is eating well and not showing pain on eating as he was previously. As we think this indicates that at the moment the antibiotics are working, we will have to see how long they continue to do so.

My previous vet (in the same practice) seemed much more relaxed about prescribing medicine that had not been licensed for cats - but had in his experience proved effective. The current vet seems much less inclined to use anything that has not been licenced. I have not questioned him about tramadol, but will mention that - thanks farthing.

Kazz
09-10-2008, 04:53 PM
The vet did say that he is not a kitty in immediate danger (or words to that effect), so no, I did not ask at this point.

Hey up thats excellent news...........:-D really really pleased.